ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 160 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #76
woodside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Robert,

Thanks for all the information you've provided on the XOG, it has been very helpful.

Just received mine last night and it'll get mounted to my 990 tonight.
woodside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 PM   #77
jcrider48
Adventure Boy

Oddometer: 9
I'm missing something

Why the XOG and not the iWay? Looking at the specs the the sceen is bigger and better resolution. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help,

Jeff
Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #78
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrider48
Why the XOG and not the iWay? Looking at the specs the the sceen is bigger and better resolution. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help,

Jeff
The Iway 600c has a Hard Drive and as such could be a problem with vibration over the long run. I ran mine for a year on my GS (too big for the Dirt Bike) and since I got the XOG, I just use it now on both bikes.
The 600c is an amazing GPS and what you get for the money is hard to beat, Full US Navteq street maps, Full US Topo maps, and Marine maps as well.
The XOG is small and light has a good size screen and handles tracks very well.
Good price too.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #79
Mr. Visible
super dork

Robert-
I am looking to hardwire my XOG with a right angle USB power cable like the one you listed. However, I want to avoid the bulky cigarette lighter adapter. Do you know if the 12V DC to 5V DC regulator/converter is in the cigarette lighter adaptor or in the inline module. If it is in the inline module I can hack off the adaptor and attach a smaller SAE plug.

Keepin' it real in Hi-Viz
Old 05-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #80
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Visible
Robert-
I am looking to hardwire my XOG with a right angle USB power cable like the one you listed. However, I want to avoid the bulky cigarette lighter adapter. Do you know if the 12V DC to 5V DC regulator/converter is in the cigarette lighter adaptor or in the inline module. If it is in the inline module I can hack off the adaptor and attach a smaller SAE plug.
I have two right angle adapters, and the Garmin one is in the Cig adapter plug the other one doe not have a plug just bare wires and the regulator is wired in-line. I put a SAE plug on that.

rwamf homepage
Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #81
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Question

you're a resource, Robert!

naive questions:

I know one can generate routes and vias directly on the GPS unit. Can you create them on a PC (or Mac) and then down load and save them to the XOG? This would be much easier.

Also, can you import .gpx files to the XOG? How, and what conversion do you use?
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #82
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
you're a resource, Robert!

naive questions:

I know one can generate routes and vias directly on the GPS unit. Can you create them on a PC (or Mac) and then down load and save them to the XOG? This would be much easier.

Also, can you import .gpx files to the XOG? How, and what conversion do you use?
I make routes on Delorme Software, I just convert the route I make in Delorme Topo to a GPS file and save it, then convert the Delorme "gpl" file to a USR file with GPS BABEL.
You can import "gpx" files into the XOG but they do not all work, as GPX files are quite large so it is not the best method, it is best to convert them with the for-mentioned GPS BABEL ( free program ) to the Lowrance "usr" file format, and load all your "usr" files on the the SD card and just load them as needed into the XOG.
I like "TRACKS" better than "ROUTES" as I don't need turn by turn directions for off-road rides, and when I am on the street I just let the XOG route me.
Just make sure you set your active track to a contrasting color from the track you are following, very simple to just follow the dotted line

rwamf homepage
Old 05-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #83
Mr. Visible
super dork

Thanks Robert,
Do you remember where you got the bare wire version of the right angle miniUSB cord with regulator.
-Zark

Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #84
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Visible
Thanks Robert,
Do you remember where you got the bare wire version of the right angle miniUSB cord with regulator.
-Zark
http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/g...b-garnuvi3.htm

That is where I bought mine, works great, I put a SAE connector on it and made a SAE to the BMW male plug adapter, and Hard wired a SAE conecter to the Batt on the Dirt Bike.

rwamf homepage
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #85
Mr. Visible
super dork

Thanks for the quick reply Robert. I'll order one today.
-Zark

Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #86
woodside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I bought the same power cable for my XOG. I cut the cable, fed it through an extra hole in my ram mount then soldered it back together so everything is behind the dash on my 990. Works well, you just need to cut the rubber cover where the usb connection goes.

-Erik
woodside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #87
Mr. Visible
super dork

Map Create 7 on Mac OS X

FYI: For anyone else out there who uses a Mac and is considering a Lowrance XOG (or other Lowrance GPS), the Lowrance Map Create 7 software works fine on my Intel-based Mac Book Pro running Windows XP in Parallels Desktop. Smooth sailing so far. Now at least I can get some basic topo info on the XOG.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #88
Frenchie
Yooper in training

Oddometer: 40
XOG questions

Thank you to all on this thread (especially RWAMF) for making this an easy process to get the right stuff for my recently purchased XOG.

I have a XOG with a RAM 1.75" handlebar mount and 2 Garmin 90 degree USB power cables on order.

The XOG will be primarily for my DRZ for singletrack and dual sport rides. I hope on downloading and creating some tracks for the off-road portions.

Questions:

1: I plan on also using it on my 97 BMW R1100RT. Does anyone know what is the best way to mount it? I do not think I can use the RAM bar mount. I plan on running power off an accessory fuse, so if anyone has experience with that too, it would be appreciated.

2: My dual-sport/singletrack club has routes/tracks/whatever in Garmin format which I will convert to *.usr files. Is there any reason I would need the Mapcreate software or any other maps to complement the tracks? I don't care about elevation since I live in the Midwest.

Thank you
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #89
Frenchie
Yooper in training

Oddometer: 40
bumpity-bump
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #90
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie
T
Questions:

1: I plan on also using it on my 97 BMW R1100RT. Does anyone know what is the best way to mount it? I do not think I can use the RAM bar mount. I plan on running power off an accessory fuse, so if anyone has experience with that too, it would be appreciated.

2: My dual-sport/singletrack club has routes/tracks/whatever in Garmin format which I will convert to *.usr files. Is there any reason I would need the Mapcreate software or any other maps to complement the tracks? I don't care about elevation since I live in the Midwest.

Thank you
1. Don't know but check out the RAM MOUNT site as the have a motorcycle selector,

2. You will not need Mapsource , unless you would like to organize your tracks into manageable files to use on the XOG, Use GpsBabel to convert the Garmin to "usr" and you should be good to go.
Remember that the XOG will hold 5 times the number of tracks as a Garmin, and at full resolution per track, and you can save AND LOAD them from the SD card,

rwamf homepage