ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #106
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabexbx
Does anyone use, or has anyone tried, the MB-32 motorcycle mount from Lowrance? I need to get a mount for and I'm thinking about the MB-32, but I don't want to waste my money so if it's not worth it I'll just go with the Ram Mount.
Don't mess with it, get the Ram mount, I have one but have never used it, It would work on a bicycle but not on a Motorbike, uses the same wimpy cradle from the suction cup mount, not as sturdy as the Ram cradle.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #107
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
calling rwamf

hi robert, it's been awhile since iv'e logged in here. got a question for you or anyone that may know.

yesterday my xog quit working. i am using it on my suzuki dr-650. symptons were it would go from external power to internal power and a back and forth. at first i just thought it was the cig. liter connection. today however it will not power up the xog. the little red lite is on in the cig. connector but i have no idea if there is power getting to the unit. the battery is now dead in the xog.

i am in duluth minn. for the next ten days and then back on the road for home to wa. state. is there any of you in the duluth area that has an xog? if so i would like to try your power cord to see if it works.

thanks in advance, cyclepath
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #108
mcnaughb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Try any micro USB 2 power connector. Any best buy should have one. I use my phone charger.

If you don't have one, you could always drop by an electronics store where they have Auto GPS units. The Garmin Nuvi and Tom Tom both use the USB2 connector. Try theirs for a minute and see if it works.
mcnaughb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:35 AM   #109
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Thankeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaughb
Try any micro USB 2 power connector. Any best buy should have one. I use my phone charger.

If you don't have one, you could always drop by an electronics store where they have Auto GPS units. The Garmin Nuvi and Tom Tom both use the USB2 connector. Try theirs for a minute and see if it works.
hey mcnaughb, i see this is your first post ! welcome to the asylum :-)
thank you for this info. my wife has a digital camera with the correct connector. i don't know why i didn't think of that. duhhhh ! anyway i used it and the xog fired right up. i have a new cable coming from mountguys. now i will be able to hardwire it to the bike with a nice small sae connector.

thanks again, cyclepath
Old 07-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #110
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclepath
hey mcnaughb, i see this is your first post ! welcome to the asylum :-)
thank you for this info. my wife has a digital camera with the correct connector. i don't know why i didn't think of that. duhhhh ! anyway i used it and the xog fired right up. i have a new cable coming from mountguys. now i will be able to hardwire it to the bike with a nice small sae connector.

thanks again, cyclepath
If you get the Hardwire connector from the Mountguys take the two small philips screws out and put two big globs of silicone on the large copper winding to hold it down, as it will vibrate and quit working over a short period of time if you don't.

rwamf homepage
Old 07-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #111
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
If you get the Hardwire connector from the Mountguys take the two small philips screws out and put two big globs of silicone on the large copper winding to hold it down, as it will vibrate and quit working over a short period of time if you don't.
thanks for the tip robert. i'll be sure to do that. sounds like you speak from experience. ;-)

cyclepath
Old 07-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #112
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclepath
thanks for the tip robert. i'll be sure to do that. sounds like you speak from experience. ;-)

cyclepath
Yes and it gets expensive.

rwamf homepage
Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #113
mrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Robert,

So you have used the 15Volt version with the XOG?
http://www.touratech-usa.com/instl/instl_030-0020.html

thanks for all the info - I bought a XOG and used it on some ATV trails - it took a beating with no problems.
mrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #114
rwamf
Follow me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrider
Robert,

So you have used the 15Volt version with the XOG?
http://www.touratech-usa.com/instl/instl_030-0020.html

thanks for all the info - I bought a XOG and used it on some ATV trails - it took a beating with no problems.
That is for clean power, like on an AC system, on a dirt bike with no battery, not to power the XOG direct, I used the Garmin Cig adapter with it.( it is rated at up to 24vdc input), The Mountguys adapter is a 12volt to 5 vdc adapter, ( mini usb on one end and bare wires on other end) it has a voltage reduction box mid cord.

rwamf homepage
Old 07-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #115
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

mcnaugb and robert, just a follow up. i took apart the xog cig. adapter that came with the xog. i found a small black ground wire broken off from the printed circut board. the little red led would still lite up but no power was getting to the xog. i re-soldered the wire to the circut board and it works just fine.:-) i put some silicone in there to keep it in place and protect it from vibration, like you said.

thanks again, cyclepath
Old 07-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #116
cabexbx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
+1 thanks for the advice. Mine just came in the mail yesterday.

Quote:
cabexbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM   #117
mrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
That is for clean power, like on an AC system, on a dirt bike with no battery, not to power the XOG direct, I used the Garmin Cig adapter with it.( it is rated at up to 24vdc input), The Mountguys adapter is a 12volt to 5 vdc adapter, ( mini usb on one end and bare wires on other end) it has a voltage reduction box mid cord.
Thanks. I got one and used it today on a KDX200. I wired it to a cigarette socket from arrowheadmotorsports and used the cig lighter that came with the XOG. Works great! I just mounted it all behind the KDX's headlight.

mrider screwed with this post 07-31-2008 at 09:51 PM
mrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #118
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I've made a two part video review that is on YouTube. You can view it here:

Part 1

Part 2
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #119
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
I know this is a stretch, has anyone connected their XOG to the BMW R1200GS under beak power connector? If so, can you tell me the part number for the connector, or how you fabricated the correct cable?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #120
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas
I've made a two part video review that is on YouTube. You can view it here:

Part 1

Part 2

Do you have any screen shots of the topos?
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote