User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
Modem Security Question

I have a question regarding internet and modem security for my house. I have a motorola surfboard modem, hooked up to a wireless router. I have a new roommate/tenant moving in, he has a business that requires him to be hard wired to a modem. He makes international phone calls using the net. He told me he can't use wireless, theMPS is too slow and there are dropouts, interrupting calls. My last tenant used guest access via the router. This won't work for him.

In the room he will use, there is a cable hookup. I called my internet provider and I can put another modem in there for him.

Now my question is: will his connection be unique because it is a different modem or because it is the same cable, would he somehow have access to my computer ?

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Now my question is: will his connection be unique because it is a different modem or because it is the same cable, would he somehow have access to my computer ?
Yes

No. Unless your WIFI is unsecured, which is unrelated with him having his own modem.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,536
His requirement to be hard wired may be mostly BS. Unless you have very slow internet access or he is very far away from the access point or your AP is very old your wireless speed is likely faster than the link provided by your ISP. My desktop to AP connection runs at 450 Mb/s. That is about 5 times faster than the download speed I get from my ISP. It's about 35 times faster than my ISP upload speeds.

Check your actual up/down speed -- http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ doesn't require flash -- and see if bandwidth is really an issue.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:03 AM   #4
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 11,303
Yeah, more than likely he's a video gamer.

(I'm hardwired too)
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
His requirement to be hard wired may be mostly BS. Unless you have very slow internet access or he is very far away from the access point or your AP is very old your wireless speed is likely faster than the link provided by your ISP. My desktop to AP connection runs at 450 Mb/s. That is about 5 times faster than the download speed I get from my ISP. It's about 35 times faster than my ISP upload speeds.

Check your actual up/down speed -- http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ doesn't require flash -- and see if bandwidth is really an issue.
True but I'd say that if he wants is own dedicated connection, the OP should agree with it (and charge him the real cost of it) if he don't want trouble. This or every hiccups will be the OP's fault. And he surely don't want to set QoS within his home network.

Give him what he's asking for but ask him $$$ in return.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

We have dealt with this before and in our case, speed /= latency. Connection is fast as hell metro ethernet, can't support the video transmission device we are trying to deploy. 500 millisecond delay for each packet of information. (one conversation = thousands of packets) The issue in our case is that the device is trying to make a two way conversation between humans possible. Voip/Video etc.. becomes very unnatural and difficult once you introduce that delay.

Even your game can handle a bit of latency (lag) better than a conversation.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
Thanks for the replies, I will charge him for it, btw. Beyondhelps explanation was similar to what he told me, wanted to hear from peeps withheld experience.

Thanks!

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,277
voip is a goddamned pain in the nutsack alright.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: