Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,256
Keep the Jeep

Fellow gear heads; I need advice.

I have a 2000 jeep TJ with the 4.0, 145,000 miles. Up until a month ago, it never gave me issues. Then it shat out the clutch (throwout bearing and slave cylinder). I'm having the complete clutch replaced by trusted mechanic, as well as transmission looked over by their tranny guy. That sounded odd.

In the months leading up to the clutch, I had replaced the signal assy, gas tank skid, had small rust hole in frame professionally fixed (frame is mint now), did all the brake lines, new radiator, new water pump, battery terminals and replaced some wiring in my winch. I've got about $2k all said and done in it so far, doing all the work besides the clutch myself.

Big issue is that I've found the headgasket is shot. I'm capable of doing the headgasket, but it's another 20+ hours of my time and $600, as I'll be replacing the crack-prone 0331 casting that came with the 2000s. I'll also need a new power steering box and windshield to get inspected. (+$450).

I bought this thing 90k miles ago for $8k, and I absolutely love it. If I replaced it I'd either buy a newer Rubicon or a Tacoma, but that's some serious money which would result in depleting my new bike fund.

I need help. I'm a frugal Jeep addict, which is an oxymoron. If I keep the Jeep, I'm bringing it back in a nicer way, and plan on the headgasket, a small lift (already been lifted twice), 32" A/T, new front bumper and a Warn M8000 to replace my shitty smittybilt. I feel I will have corrected any real possible future issues if I carry out my plan, but can't help think putting more money into a 14 year old jeep with 145k is a little nuts. My aim is to have a fun 4x4 to get me to job sites (I'm a carpenter) and up to the mountain during snowstorms. It will be driven frequently, but I also have a little 2wd frontier that's currently my DD.

Sorry for the long read, my old lady is getting a kick out of how seriously I'm pondering this.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,402
New bike, new Jeep, the age old delimma. I love my TJ & not ready to go the bigger wider JK Unlimited just yet, especially at 45K. If you like it, stay the course, it sounds like it will be ready to rock when you're done and you'll still have the bike fund on hand.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
It is a vehicle you know. A newer, more expensive one may or may not treat you well.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,197
Would a rebuilt engine be better money spent?

I have an xj with 150,000 miles on it. It is in great shape and I am considering swapping engines if need be. It is an easy vehicle to work on, parts at the junk yard are plentiful and newer vehicles are expensive.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,875
If you like it, keep it. The work it needs isn't super expensive.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,054
You can't justify spending the money to fix a 14 year old vehicle, yet you're considering spending serious cash to get into a new Jeep/Tacoma?

Fix it. It's one of the better American/Canadian vehicles. Keeping it running is a lot less expensive than buying a whole new Jeep (Rubicons are going for $20K+ right now in used shape, new ones retail around $32K).

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbastid View Post
Fellow gear heads; I need advice.

I have a 2000 jeep TJ with the 4.0, 145,000 miles. Up until a month ago, it never gave me issues. Then it shat out the clutch (throwout bearing and slave cylinder). I'm having the complete clutch replaced by trusted mechanic, as well as transmission looked over by their tranny guy. That sounded odd.

In the months leading up to the clutch, I had replaced the signal assy, gas tank skid, had small rust hole in frame professionally fixed (frame is mint now), did all the brake lines, new radiator, new water pump, battery terminals and replaced some wiring in my winch. I've got about $2k all said and done in it so far, doing all the work besides the clutch myself.

Big issue is that I've found the headgasket is shot. I'm capable of doing the headgasket, but it's another 20+ hours of my time and $600, as I'll be replacing the crack-prone 0331 casting that came with the 2000s. I'll also need a new power steering box and windshield to get inspected. (+$450).

I bought this thing 90k miles ago for $8k, and I absolutely love it. If I replaced it I'd either buy a newer Rubicon or a Tacoma, but that's some serious money which would result in depleting my new bike fund.

I need help. I'm a frugal Jeep addict, which is an oxymoron. If I keep the Jeep, I'm bringing it back in a nicer way, and plan on the headgasket, a small lift (already been lifted twice), 32" A/T, new front bumper and a Warn M8000 to replace my shitty smittybilt. I feel I will have corrected any real possible future issues if I carry out my plan, but can't help think putting more money into a 14 year old jeep with 145k is a little nuts. My aim is to have a fun 4x4 to get me to job sites (I'm a carpenter) and up to the mountain during snowstorms. It will be driven frequently, but I also have a little 2wd frontier that's currently my DD.

Sorry for the long read, my old lady is getting a kick out of how seriously I'm pondering this.
You're mechanically skilled and know your paid off Jeep well. For the cost of fixing it up you can't replace it with anything nearly as good.

I have on a couple of occasions put more into a major repair on a vehicle than the book value of the car. Both times I knew that the rest of the car was fine, and that the repair was cheaper than what an equally good replacement vehicle would coat.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

I could justify a newer vehicle for its reliability, but you guys are telling me what I want to hear. Family and the lady are all for a new vehicle but I think it's dumb to go into debt for depreciating asset, especially when it's got four wheels and not two :). Forgot to add; no debt, no dependents, happily employed.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Slvrtundevl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Sell that one and look for a low mileage TJ.. they are out there, Picked up my 2005 last febuary with 17,000 miles on it.. I have 25,000 on it now..
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,229
I started out looking for a Jeep, figured I'd pick up a good used on for a fair price and fix-er-up. WRONG! These fookers hold value well. Plans were to get it as a toy, use it for a commuter and the occasional off-road excursion. Being Texas, the later might get you a night in the clink or shot by some rancher. This meant it needed to be more highway and less off-road.

With the price of used and parts to fix it they way to suite me, I was better off with a new one. Bought a 14 JK 2-door Sport soft top which has the 3.6L Pentastar (man that little motor kicks ass) then went out and put sliders, bumper and winch on it. Drives nice on the highway and handles places like Big Bend tool'n around wiff the missus just fine.

If I already had a Jeep? I'd rip it apart and bring it up to date and still have enough money for another bike vs what I did.
Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
If you "absolutely love it" after all you've done to it so far, you might as well keep it. But keep in mind, from here on out, it's ALWAYS going to be something. There will always be another thing. At some point, it'll be things you've already done, too. But outside of it rusting away because of where you are, there's no reason you can't keep up a TJ for dang near ever.

I think if it were *me*, before I'd fix rust on a vehicle like that, I'd find me a good lower miles southern Jeep. Get a loan if you have to so you can drive yours while you find the *right* one. Buy it. Then sell your other one and pay off loan. Pass the rust and miles off to someone else, take a small hit for your "upgrade", and rinse and repeat in a few years.

Those things do ultimately rust away where you are, I don't care how "professionally" you repair the first spot you find. I've got a dear friend in NH who LOVED his, too, but it finally just went away on him.

--Donnie
Old 08-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,881
Quote:
My wife and I are going through a variation of this. I'm looking at selling the '09 Wrangler Unlimited and picking up a less-expensive (and less expensive to drive) used Subaru Forester, with the excess $$ going toward a new-to-me bike.

You've got a vehicle you enjoy, with a history you know. I'd say that unless you just *have to have* a different vehicle you're going to be miles ahead just doing what you need to do to the Jeep you have. That said, once I finally got it sorted, my JKU has been very good to me and I love driving it and using it in the woods (but it's overkill for my needs at this time).

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24898278
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Djb- the jeep has no rust, I've spent a lot of time taking care of any scale . The rust that was repaired was a half dollar sized hole, which was cut out, replaced and coated. Thanks for the opinions guys , I'm keeping it!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,875
Quote:
Djb- the jeep has no rust, I've spent a lot of time taking care of any scale . The rust that was repaired was a half dollar sized hole, which was cut out, replaced and coated. Thanks for the opinions guys , I'm keeping it!
Now, take the $700/mo. you would have dumped into a car payment and put it in a car fund. In five years, you should have enough cash to buy a new one if you need it, or to pay off your house if you don't.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Now, take the $700/mo. you would have dumped into a car payment and put it in a car fund. In five years, you should have enough cash to buy a new one if you need it, or to pay off your house if you don't.
Yeah been doing that for a few years now. But $700?! Not buying a Maserati! Been throwing $250 / month.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: