ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Do you use snow tires on your automobile?
Yes, I use snow tires and this poll is awesome 182 72.51%
No, stop asking dumb questions 48 19.12%
Other/piss off 21 8.37%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 7,808
Snow tires on your car?

Who here puts snow tires on their car?

What setup do you use (extra wheels?).

When do you install them, and how many miles do you put on them?

I now have a rear wheel drive car for the first time in years and years. I had a '68 Mustang as a kid, but used a 4x4 truck during the winter months. My Subaru BRZ has great traction control, but I think it would be ridiculous of me to try and survive the winter with the current tires. I'm looking at 205/55R16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 Blackwalls on steel wheels from Tire Rack for $1070 (that includes the pressure sensors in the wheels, not sure if I should bother or not).

What can I expect?

I'll probably mount them mid November. I average 600 miles a week, so hopefully one set will do me.

Edit: should I post an epic install thread similar to Assman's? Though Jurgen's was quite nice as well.

McCormack screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 03:19 PM
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 40,247
This is what you get for driving a BRZ

I'm a no vote, the Passat went out right after that huge snow storm without much of an issue, having a manual helped too. The only time I could see it being a problem is if the front tires were on ice but snows wouldn't help much there either. Traction control actually works

Though I do know some people up in Canada that use them, most have separate wheels so it's a quick job to do in the garage/driveway.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,330
I am going to do Blizzaks on my stock steel wheels for the winter on my Focus. I have aftermarket wheels on there with lo pro tyres now and they suck ass in the snow. I'll stick them on after the first 6in snowfall. I live in the mountains so we get a LOT of snow.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,104
I have lived in the mountains of the PNW my entire life and I have never mounted snow tires/studded tires on any of my vehicles. I drive on all-season radials and install chains when road conditions get really bad.

The closest I come to traction tires are A/T's on my 4X4 Tundra.

My secret is that you can not exceed 40MPH on compact snow and ice roads. Slow is better. Those that think that snow tires give the the capability to go faster eventually end up like this:

DMZ screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 03:29 PM
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
This is what you get for driving a BRZ

I'm a no vote, the Passat went out right after that huge snow storm without much of an issue, having a manual helped too. The only time I could see it being a problem is if the front tires were on ice but snows wouldn't help much there either. Traction control actually works

Though I do know some people up in Canada that use them, most have separate wheels so it's a quick job to do in the garage/driveway.
I've been driving AWD Subarus for 15 years, then got that TDI Jetta. I parked on a city street after the snowstorm as though I was in one of Subarus (meaning I drove into the snowbank). It took quite a while rocking the Jetta to get out. Hopefully that event is burned into my memory and I wont try parking the BRZ as though it were AWD.

PS: The BRZ is worth whatever snow frustration I get!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I am going to do Blizzaks on my stock steel wheels for the winter on my Focus. I have aftermarket wheels on there with lo pro tyres now and they suck ass in the snow. I'll stick them on after the first 6in snowfall. I live in the mountains so we get a LOT of snow.
How are the Blizzaks on the highway? Noisy?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
john112deere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Nokians on separate rims on my 4wd Ranger. Got lucky and found a set of take-offs from a Ranger with TPMS sensors cheap on CL just when I needed 'em. I hugely prefer having two sets of rims- I'd much rather be able to swap 'em myself than deal with trying to get the truck and four more tires to a shop twice a year.

On a 4x4 truck, good snow tires are a luxury not a necessity...but it's one I can afford. I like to see how far I can get before I have to grab the "magic" knob- and sideways is a lot more fun and easy to control with good snow tires, IMO.

For me, snow tires are the difference between being able to get where I'm going, and having fun getting there. It snows a lot here, and I can afford that fun. YMMV.

Being a cheap SOB, I'm running worn-out snows as summers right now...noisy and cupped, but I hate to throw 'em away while they still have tread on 'em.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 40,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
I've been driving AWD Subarus for 15 years, then got that TDI Jetta. I parked on a city street after the snowstorm as though I was in one of Subarus (meaning I drove into the snowbank). It took quite a while rocking the Jetta to get out. Hopefully that event is burned into my memory and I wont try parking the BRZ as though it were AWD.

PS: The BRZ is worth whatever snow frustration I get!
Donuts in the snow are going to be a good time

Just be careful if you have to come down my way in Boston they don't do street cleaning so if it's a bad winter what ends up happening is people are parked there during the storm so you get a mound at the front/back of the car, then the build up from the plow. It's bad enough right after the storm but the following days/weeks are worse as just a little bit melts, pools in the space and turns into a sheet of ice.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,691
Snow tires make a huge difference on any vehicle. As DMZ pointed out though; don't get over confident, they're not a reason to speed. They don't make the roads safer - they're still icy.

I run a different set of rims to swap over, too.
dirtydeeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,199
I have a second set of narrower wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tires for my GTI. Decadent since I generally just take my 4x4 truck when it is snowing but the wheels are 16" and handle potholes much better than the 18" summer setup.

Amazingly, VW made it easy to swap wheels because there are no sensors in the wheels. It uses the abs wheel speed sensors to detect differences in rolling diameter.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 3,068
I had a second set of wheels with Dunlap Winter Sport M2 tires for my 528iT BMW and they made a huge difference compared to the low profile high performance tires on snow. I just replaced the BMW with a Volvo XC70 AWD with M+S rated tires so I should not need dedicated snow tires any more.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
I have lived in the mountains of the PNW my entire life and I have never mounted snow tires/studded tires on any of my vehicles. I drive on all-season radials and install chains when road conditions get really bad.

The closest I come to traction tires are A/T's on my 4X4 Tundra.

My secret is that you can not exceed 40MPH on compact snow and ice roads. Slow is better. Those that think that snow tires give the the capability to go faster eventually end up like this:

So YOU'RE the dipshit holding up traffic???????

Put some snow tires on and be done with winter.

Edit: Generally speaking, it's the stupid f#@ker$ with the "all season tires" on who end up in the ditch. Just say'n.

Edit again: Full set of studded snows on rims for my truck, full set of studded snows for the Benz (never gotten that rear wheel drive stuck), full set of studded snows on both of my daughter's cars too. Summer tires (All Season, actually) for the other 6 months.

rapidoxidationman screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 05:38 PM
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,691
dirtydeeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,356
600 miles a week?

Fatwife puts Blizzaks on her Saab 93 Aero in October and takes them off in April.

I keep BFG A/T's on my Tacoma year round.

FWIW, we live at 7400' and get a lot of snow.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 13,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Who here puts snow tires on their car?

What setup do you use (extra wheels?).

When do you install them, and how many miles do you put on them?

I now have a rear wheel drive car for the first time in years and years. I had a '68 Mustang as a kid, but used a 4x4 truck during the winter months. My Subaru BRZ has great traction control, but I think it would be ridiculous of me to try and survive the winter with the current tires. I'm looking at 205/55R16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 Blackwalls on steel wheels from Tire Rack for $1070 (that includes the pressure sensors in the wheels, not sure if I should bother or not).

What can I expect?

I'll probably mount them mid November. I average 600 miles a week, so hopefully one set will do me.

Edit: should I post an epic install thread similar to Assman's? Though Jurgen's was quite nice as well.
I use the Blizzaks on my Subaru Outback and they are wonderful tires - I put about 5-6,000 miles per winter on them, maybe a bit more and I've got three seasons with the fourth coming up.

I just switch cars seasonally - in summer I drive my truck, winter I drive my Subi.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: