Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.58 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #676
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
The NS is such a bunch of pansies they lowered the speeds of our van trains. We used to run 70 on Conrail. Now 60 is all they allow.
I remember going on a NS steam excursion with my Dad in the 80's. We got off the train for a photo op flyby and watched 611 steam by at 80 something mph. This was on a flat section of track between Lynchburg and Roanoke, VA. It was a sight to behold.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #677
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I'm jealous of you engineers. I've applied at BNSF, UP, and Amtrak for engineer, conductor and also shop jobs but no bites.

I just took Amtrak out to easter Iowa from Denver and had a question about track warrants.

How common are they? Iowa still uses warrants. Are the sections/divisions all different in terms of length and number of trains allowed? Obviously it depends if it is single or double track.
We used to have lots of branch line mileage that wasn't signaled. Most of that has all been leased to the shortlines. Yes it is mostly single track. Mileage is variable. They allow enough trains until everything comes to a standstill.

After you work our hours for a few weeks you might not be jealous anymore. I like the work and the pay its the hours and corporation that suck.

Poweranger screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 06:30 PM
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #678
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Funny. I was stopped in Archbold last night so they could run a train around me. The siding still has jointed rail hence the clunking. Usually grab a coffee at the gas station there when we end up in the siding heading west.
I know exactly where you park!

Mmmm. . . Circle K coffee.

There is a nice little taco stand just a block north of where you park.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #679
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
I know exactly where you park!

Mmmm. . . Circle K coffee.

There is a nice little taco stand just a block north of where you park.
Thanks for the info on the taco stand. You can people watch at that Circle K like it's a Walmart. Last time there I waited in line for 10mins while they played scratch offs at the counter!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #680
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the taco stand. You can people watch at that Circle K like it's a Walmart. Last time there I waited in line for 10mins while they played scratch offs at the counter!
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K, as they said in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"

If you want fru-fru coffee, without the Walmartians, 2 blocks north, at Stella Blue, (ugly graffiti art on the side) they'll make you a good cup. (Tues-Sat, open fairly late) They might even have a band playing.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #681
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,409
An interesting slice of history, something I knew nothing about. (Who am I kidding, I know nothing about much of this stuff ) UP's turbine locomotives, 8500hp strong. Worth the watch IMHO.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #682
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,513
I have a great book about the UP turbines. They are (were) very awesome. I wish they still had an operating locomotive.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #683
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,656
Cool video.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #684
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

IIRC some of the old heads I worked with talked about running turbines in Michigan. I think it was passenger service on Amtrak they were talking about? They mentioned it was a miserable experience as it was so loud and the fumes were terrible.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #685
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,378
Hard on the underpasses, too.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #686
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,446
Quote:
IIRC some of the old heads I worked with talked about running turbines in Michigan. I think it was passenger service on Amtrak they were talking about? They mentioned it was a miserable experience as it was so loud and the fumes were terrible.
There were a couple of turboliner sets that Amtrak ran, based out of Chicago at the beginning of Amtrak. I believe they were made by the French company Rohr.

It bums me out that I did not take photos during the early days of Amtrak (I was 7 or 8 years old). My grandparents lived in Franksville on the Chicago/Milwaukee mainline for the Milwaukee Road. I remember seeing the all yellow Hiawathas, followed by the mixed breed early Amtrak trains and then the full Amtrak sets.

MR and CNW had lots of interesting power in the Racine, Wi area while I was growing up and I did not take any photos.

Sigh.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #687
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,418
Just posting to keep up with this thread on Tapatalk. :)
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #688
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,409
Yes, Jurgen is watching Train Videos.

Interesting, full strip of a GP9 then a rebuild with a gen-set motor. Supposed to be much more fuel efficient. But one of the commentors, says "Gen-sets are fuel efficient because they're broken down all the time and don't run." Any of you real RailRoad guys have any comments on this?

I wonder how much cheaper a rebuild like this is compared to buying a new, or used "only driven by a little old engineer to and from the barn on Sundays" engine?

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #689
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Never run a gen-set. I have only even seen a few of these on the IHB RR we operate over in Chicago. I think our company has a few but we will never see them. They do not like our terminal so we only are sent the old junkers.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #690
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

What do you mean by Gen Set engine?

Aren't all diesel-electrics by nature gen sets on wheels?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: