Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #376
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaadvandmtbrider View Post
Overall I really like this bike. A few questions for other owners: at idle the bike seems slightly noisy, not the exhaust, but what sounds like mechanical noise, when I pull in the clutch some noise subsides, also when revving the engine with the bike on the centerstand I get a little rear wheel movement?? Anyone seen this? Big trouble?

Also, has anyone purchase a radiator guard? Thanks.
The clutch noise in neutral is completely normal and is a very common trait with big cc inline 4's...Almost every bike does this to some extent some very slight and some more....Cltuch out in neutral you'll hear some clutch noise, pull it in and it's just a quiet purr...
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #377
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Overall I really like this bike. A few questions for other owners: at idle the bike seems slightly noisy, not the exhaust, but what sounds like mechanical noise, when I pull in the clutch some noise subsides, also when revving the engine with the bike on the centerstand I get a little rear wheel movement?? Anyone seen this? Big trouble?

I have the Cox racing radiator guard on mine & like it. Some discussions over on TWT about some of those on fleabay, as to if they might restrict some airflow or not since they have bigger fins on them.

http://www.coxracingroup.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.1045/.f
2008 Kawasaki Versys (past)
Two-Up, Two-Wheels, Two-gether:Switzerland
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #378
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcyclist View Post
I was reading the latest issue of "Motorcyclist" today, and they had an article on the 2011 Bandit that now has a full fairing and ABS as standard equipment:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...egory=standard

It makes for a nice looking package, but I think I prefer the 1/2 faired version for ease of maintenance, etc.
Well, you're in luck then, since this is the GSX1250FA, just like your URL
and description on the web page says. It's not a 'new bandit', it's a new model
based on the Bandit, and the Bandit is still available.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #379
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,598
madstad has there updated adjustable windshield posted w/ the new metal baseplate
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.751/.f
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #380
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,144
Oh my god! You bought a lemon!

Quick! Act fast! Immediately strip the bike and send all the accesories to me! (aftermarket seat, luggage, windscreen, etc)

Sorry! Seriously, from your descriptions, I don't see anything wrong. Mine doesn't have any excessive noise.

By rear-wheel movement, you mean the swing arm moving up a little? Normal torque reaction...

Quote:

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #381
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post

Quick! Act fast! Immediately strip the bike and send all the accesories to me! (aftermarket seat, luggage, windscreen, etc)

Sorry! Seriously, from your descriptions, I don't see anything wrong. Mine doesn't have any excessive noise.

By rear-wheel movement, you mean the swing arm moving up a little? Normal torque reaction...

Off topic a little, but did you get yours back from the shop will all your new Dale Walker stuff & if so, how is it now?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #382
flaadvandmtbrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:

No, the wheel actually spins slowly when you rev the engine, when on the centerstand and in neutral.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #383
lordabhi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
No, the wheel actually spins slowly when you rev the engine, when on the centerstand and in neutral.

Normal with wet clutch. My bandit does it too.
lordabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #384
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post
Off topic a little, but did you get yours back from the shop will all your new Dale Walker stuff & if so, how is it now?
Hiya, David!

Funny you should ask! The shop called me not twenty minutes ago!

The damage from the drop (fairing, bar ends, engine and rad covers, etc.) is all done. The Holeshot Comp II Touring pipe in black is on, the TFI box is mounted, the O2 sensor is plugged (bypassed), and they called to ask whether I wanted them to just cut the 1.5" hole in the airbox, install the K&N air filter, and tune it with Dale Walker's "stage 1" settings, or remove the secondary throttle butterflies too and tune it as "stage 2".

My goal is smoothness and refinement over sheer horsepower (Edit: The PAIR valve plug is supposed to reduce popping on decel - not the O2 sensor bypass...) so I told them to go with the stage 1 settings and leave the throttle butterflies intact. The stage 2 work would have been additional labor, as well.

She's supposed to be done tomorrow, and I can have her back for the weekend. We have some rain around through Saturday but it's supposed to be real nice Sunday.

ag_streak screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 03:36 PM
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #385
treybrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
My goal is smoothness and refinement over sheer horsepower (Edit: The PAIR valve plug is supposed to reduce popping on decel - not the O2 sensor bypass...) so I told them to go with the stage 1 settings and leave the throttle butterflies intact.
I think you'll be happy with the Stage 1, but Stage 2 actually made mine smoother and netted me more MPGs (provided I could keep my wrist in check...). I attribute the smoothness to pulling the secondaries.

It's pretty quick to remove the secondaries and I'd recommend it to every owner... in fact, that's the only engine mod I've left... Went back to stock otherwise.

trey

ps - nice windscreen!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 AM   #386
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Hi, Trey! I love that ZG! It suits me perfect. I was thinking of going all-out with a Madstad setup, but everytime I ride the Bandit with the ZG-ST, I think, "why?".

Trey, did your Bandit require a throttle body sync? At what mileage on the bike did you do the mods? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treybrad View Post
I think you'll be happy with the Stage 1, but Stage 2 actually made mine smoother and netted me more MPGs (provided I could keep my wrist in check...). I attribute the smoothness to pulling the secondaries.

It's pretty quick to remove the secondaries and I'd recommend it to every owner... in fact, that's the only engine mod I've left... Went back to stock otherwise.

trey

ps - nice windscreen!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #387
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
I went with a National Cycle windshield on my '08 Bandit. Though I don't like "barn doors"/"shower doors"/BIG windshields.... I like THIS one! It could be because I'm now over 55, ride year 'round, or simply discovered added comfort on a bike. It looks good, reduces perceived turbulence, and protects me from the chill of rides in sub 39* temps. (see below)

I have a home-modified header with the CAT' completely cut away, pipe necked down and ceramic coated, going into a MIVV X-Cone slip on. My buddy commented that my pipe is NOT as loud & obnoxios as I thought it might be, as I complained that it seemed to be getting louder of late. And though I have all the other mods, it still *POPS* on decel.... I called Dale Walker and he said that is normal, given the nature of my free-flowing muffler with it's HUGE exhaust outlet.

I was reluctant to remove my secondaries, but eventually got around to doing it. Removing them has improved my throttle response and makes for a smoother running engine all across it's power band.

But honestly, if I were to do it all over again.... knowing what I know today,
all that I would do is modify the air box (1" hole), consider a K&N, add a Holeshot 17" muffler, stick a fork brace on the front end, replace the countersprocket with 1 down, and replace the OEM springs in the front end.

GREAT bike!
The throttle bodies were synched, my valves didn't need any adjustment at 30,000 miles, it burns absolutely NO oil despite my throttle abuse, and my fuel economy IS NOT..... with my riding style, I average 38-40 mpg but I have seen 45mpg at higher altitudes with Nevada gas......

rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #388
treybrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Hi, Trey! I love that ZG! It suits me perfect. I was thinking of going all-out with a Madstad setup, but everytime I ride the Bandit with the ZG-ST, I think, "why?".

Trey, did your Bandit require a throttle body sync? At what mileage on the bike did you do the mods? Thanks!
Ha, I sold you the ZG telling myself I'd spring for the Madstad setup too... and here we are a year or two later and I'm still just riding around with the stock screen again. It's really not bad, though it's been in the teens a few mornings and I wish I had a little more coverage...

I bought the Holeshot stage 1 stuff at about 5k miles I'd say. Rode it like that for the next 20k and did my valve check at 27k mi. While I was doing that I removed the secondaries, cut a hole in the airbox, and got Dale's stage 2 settings for the TFI box. Really woke the bike up quite a bit over stage 1. I got worse gas mileage overall, but mostly because I couldn't resist winding out the gears with a heavy hand... just sounded too good. I synched my TBs because they were due anyway, but it'd be a good idea if you remove the secondaries to do it anyway. Pretty quick job on the Bandit, there's some good step by step tutorials online.

But, the novelty wore off, the noise started to bug me, so I went back to stock at about 35k miles. It's tough to say just how much removing the secondaries helped by themselves since I did so many other things at the same time, but I do remember having some snatchiness and surging before I started modding, and now with the secondaries out but otherwise stock it's smooth as can be under all conditions.

trey
Old 02-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #389
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post
Got it back and just rode home! Woo-hoo!

Very nice improvement all across the rev range. The bike feels snappier and lighter and virtually leaps forward with a twist of the wrist!

Stock, I found that the gearing was a little too tall in 6th to pull from anywhere under 65 or 70. In other words, she was happier in 5th gear at that speed if you needed any meaningful acceleration.

Now, she pulls HARD from that RPM in top gear (can't pinpoint what RPM that is...)

The only thing that's not where I'd like it is the popping on closed throttle. Not too bad, though, and the overall sound level is GREAT. More throaty but not too loud.

Very, very happy!

And the collision repairs came out perfect. She looks better than new. If anyone wants any of the following with VERY minor scratching, let me know. You can have 'em for the cost of shipping. I'll post them in the Good Karma thread with pictures when I have time if no one here wants them.

Right Mirror
Right bar end (just the weight)
Right crankshaft cover
Right Radiator Guard
Stock Exhaust Pipe (also has two minor dings - taken off at 4K miles)

Um... I think that's it. Everything is is decent, serviceable condition...

ag_streak screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 02:54 PM
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #390
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Got it back and just rode home! Woo-hoo!

Very nice improvement all across the rev range. The bike feels snappier and lighter and virtually leaps forward with a twist of the wrist!

Stock, I found that the gearing was a little too tall in 6th to pull from anywhere under 65 or 70. In other words, she was happier in 5th gear at that speed if you needed any meaningful acceleration.

Now, she pulls HARD from that RPM in top gear (can't pinpoint what RPM that is...)

The only thing that's not where I'd like it is the popping on closed throttle. Not too bad, though, and the overall sound level is GREAT. More throaty but not too loud.

Very, very happy!

And the collision repairs came out perfect. She looks better than new. If anyone wants any of the following with VERY minor scratching, let me know. You can have 'em for the cost of shipping. I'll post them in the Good Karma thread with pictures when I have time if no one here wants them.

Right Mirror
Right bar end (just the weight)
Right crankshaft cover
Right Radiator Guard
Stock Exhaust Pipe (also has two minor dings - taken off at 4K miles)

Um... I think that's it. Everything is is decent, serviceable condition...
Sounds like it really turned out well

As they say, pics are required or didn't happen

David