Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #406
Narrdo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt View Post
Well I went an bought a low mile 2009 with bags. Put 600 miles on it yesterday. Definitely needs a better seat.
Without a picture, this never happend.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #407
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Anybody done aftermarket handlebars? A little wider and tapered would be nice for me.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #408
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,166
I've been considering picking up a two-up sport tourer, and the Bandit is one of the front runners.

Over the weekend I sat on a new 1250 at a dealership, and just picking it up off the sidestand and rolling it back and forth it felt really, really heavy.

I know some bikes that feel heavy at rest get nice and light at speed, and others just continue to feel heavy regardless of how fast you're going.

Which of these is the Bandit?

Also, how much of a project is it to nakedize the 1250s, and are the stocks plastics/windscreen/instruments worth anything if sold? I don't really do fairings.

gmiguy screwed with this post 03-14-2011 at 05:42 AM
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #409
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
The bandit feels quite light underway - not much different when riding from a 919. The steering is really good, light, responsive and more feedback than you'd expect from a big machine like this. About the only time when riding that I was reminded of how heavy/long it is was when trying to late-brake and stuff it into a corner. It doesn't like that too much and prefers a more smooth, slow-down-early and get on the power earlier approach. Very effective in the twisties, you just can't stuff in into a corner like a SM or GSXR.

The bandit stays feeling fairly light even really heavily loaded - much less affected by weight than most other bikes I've ridden. Between me, my wife and all camping gear I think we had probably 500+ lbs on the bike and it still handled well and turned well. We even chased some friends on unladen sport bikes around for half a day and held our own just fine (footpeg feelers got worn down a smidge though).

Do note that according to my wife the bandit's passenger accommodation are downright terrible. She was in pain after 200 miles. The rear seat is poorly shaped, the rear pegs high and too far rearward and the right peg doubles as an exhaust hanger and ends up transferring extreme vibration to the passengers right leg.

I thought the rider's seat was quite good. I rode from Kansas city to Oshkosh WI to Denver then zig-zaged my way to San Jose then down to San Diego. I did between 500 and 1000 miles a day and was pleased with the stock seat. I did put the front part of the seat in the "high" position and the rear part in the "low" position to get a flatter seating area. This was key for comfort.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #410
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I test rode the GSX1250FA or something like that at Daytona Bike Week last week. Is that basically the Bandit with lower fairings?
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #411
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I test rode the GSX1250FA or something like that at Daytona Bike Week last week. Is that basically the Bandit with lower fairings?
Yes
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #412
Brennan77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
I've been considering picking up a two-up sport tourer, and the Bandit is one of the front runners.

Over the weekend I sat on a new 1250 at a dealership, and just picking it up off the sidestand and rolling it back and forth it felt really, really heavy.

I know some bikes that feel heavy at rest get nice and light at speed, and others just continue to feel heavy regardless of how fast you're going.

Which of these is the Bandit?

Also, how much of a project is it to nakedize the 1250s, and are the stocks plastics/windscreen/instruments worth anything if sold? I don't really do fairings.
It's not terribly heavy at speed, but make no mistake...it's never light. You have to be calm and collected when pushing the bike, especially in the turns. It will do pretty much everything you ask, but it's my experience that you have to be pretty planned out and smooth in your riding. I love my Bandit, but I would definitely like my next bike to feel and be lighter.

NOTE: I have a 2002 Bandit 1200.
Brennan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #413
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
And a new gauge cluster (no more digital speedo inside the bezel for a traditional one) along with a few thousand added to the price.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #414
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butt View Post
Anybody done aftermarket handlebars? A little wider and tapered would be nice for me.
Yup. Made a big difference. I think it was the Daytona Superbike bars I ordered, I'll check the receipts.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #415
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Yup. Made a big difference. I think it was the Daytona Superbike bars I ordered, I'll check the receipts.
Cool, thanks man. Any cable/hydraulic line issues?
Adventure Rider #799
Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #416
Gradall
Army of one gets it done

Oddometer: 74
I have superbike bars on my bandit I didn't have any issues with cable or line clearances. Have you tried just rotating your bars up that worked great for me. The only reason I put the new bars on was because a snow plow knocked my bike over and bent the bar. BTW anybody know of some good cheap dot approved turn signals?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #417
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradall View Post
I have superbike bars on my bandit I didn't have any issues with cable or line clearances. Have you tried just rotating your bars up that worked great for me. The only reason I put the new bars on was because a snow plow knocked my bike over and bent the bar. BTW anybody know of some good cheap dot approved turn signals?
To be honest, I am trying to turn the 1250S into the comfort level I had with my 1150GS.

So some big adv style bars will go a long way with bar risers, and a great place to stick electronics on a crossbar. I wish Richardo Kuhn was still making Ricky bars.
Adventure Rider #799
Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #418
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,163
I had aftermarket bars on my 1250 as well. I think they were the daytonas but don't remember for sure. The bike came with risers that moved the bars closer and more rearward by an inch in each direction (GenMar # X102). I removed them as I liked the somewhat more sporty originally mounting position, but then I'd spent the previous 60k miles clutching clipons.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #419
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Absolutely HATED the OEM handlebars on my Bandit 1250!!! It felt like I was handling the grips of a wheelbarrow, funkyass grip angle.... So I bought some sexy black "clubman" bars with the grip angle I wanted. Even with my GenMar bar-backs, the handlebars juuuuust cleared the gas tank, but not at the right angle for a comfortable grip.
Dammit!

Then I read that some people were having luck bending their factory bars to change the grip angle. I found my factory bars under a stack of parts-is-parts, mounted them to my work bench, and with a 4 foot pipe BENT the grip angle forward.... measuring my before & after on each side, and settled on the angle I thought might work for me.
It worked!

But my front factory brake line didn't allow me to twist my handlebars to a position far enough back to be considered..... juuuust right. I lived with it like that for over 30,000 miles, then bought a used SS brake line at a length that might help me. Upon installing the brake line, all that I needed was to eek the handlebars back toward me a fraction more than I could before....
now it's perfect!

But it's been about recovering from a hernia repair, then it was all about sorting out the paperwork from having retired, and for the last four months.... rain, rain, AND MORE PHUCK'N RAIN! I've got the time, I have a new Motoport outfit ($2,000 worth....), new motorcycle boots, and serious cabin fever. But the rain just keeps on keeping on!?!!!

I need a RIDE, really really need a ride......

rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #420
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys View Post
Absolutely HATED the OEM handlebars on my Bandit 1250!!! It felt like I was handling the grips of a wheelbarrow, funkyass grip angle.... So I bought some sexy black "clubman" bars with the grip angle I wanted. Even with my GenMar bar-backs, the handlebars juuuuust cleared the gas tank, but not at the right angle for a comfortable grip.
Dammit!

Then I read that some people were having luck bending their factory bars to change the grip angle. I found my factory bars under a stack of parts-is-parts, mounted them to my work bench, and with a 4 foot pipe BENT the grip angle forward.... measuring my before & after on each side, and settled on the angle I thought might work for me.
It worked!

But my front factory brake line didn't allow me to twist my handlebars to a position far enough back to be considered..... juuuust right. I lived with it like that for over 30,000 miles, then bought a used SS brake line at a length that might help me. Upon installing the brake line, all that I needed was to eek the handlebars back toward me a fraction more than I could before....
now it's perfect!

But it's been about recovering from a hernia repair, then it was all about sorting out the paperwork from having retired, and for the last four months.... rain, rain, AND MORE PHUCK'N RAIN! I've got the time, I have a new Motoport outfit ($2,000 worth....), new motorcycle boots, and serious cabin fever. But the rain just keeps on keeping on!?!!!

I need a RIDE, really really need a ride......
There's paperwork to do? I was laid off last Apr so am sort of retired. They just told me to quit coming into work.

But I hear you. I thought once we retired we were just going to ride our motorcycles around all day, every day. But other than our Alps trip last year, we rode less than we ever have. Been helping my wife out with her boutique and it's sucking up all our time. Retail sucks, people expect you to be open Walmart hours even as a small business trying to maintain a bit of a life.

bross screwed with this post 03-16-2011 at 12:18 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote