Great bike!

rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #47
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr
it kind of looks like my 1st gen fz1.but i would bet the engine is much more user friendly.
Eh? I found the old FZ1 very user friendly. It liked to be used.. and used.. and used.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #48
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers
Great bike!

Can you buy lowers for the American version?

That topbox has to go,,,otherwise very nice.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #49
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
Can you buy lowers for the American version?

That topbox has to go,,,otherwise very nice.
Yes, from Suzuki, they are not cheap close to $500. You can also go with a chin spoiler instead of the fairing lowers.

Topcase is not that bad for touring you never know its back there since the bike is very well weight balanced. I'll take function over image any day.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #50
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Well if you pay around $7K plus tax and then around $600 for lowers and $600 for hard bags and mounts seems like you would have a top knotch sport touring bike for far less than an FJ, ST, Connie, or anything else.

Doesn't have a roundel though!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:14 AM   #51
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

The thing I like about the hard bags is that they cover up the ugly pipe(s). Cheaper than an aftermarket exhaust system too.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #52
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyQ
Yes, from Suzuki, they are not cheap close to $500. You can also go with a chin spoiler instead of the fairing lowers.

Topcase is not that bad for touring you never know its back there since the bike is very well weight balanced. I'll take function over image any day.
Only $500? That's not bad at all IMO. That is a nice looking bike for the $$. I rock a top box daily, so I could care less about looks. They work, period.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #53
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well if you pay around $7K plus tax and then around $600 for lowers and $600 for hard bags and mounts seems like you would have a top knotch sport touring bike for far less than an FJ, ST, Connie, or anything else.

Doesn't have a roundel though!
Very true that is the reason I bought one, value on the dollar. It's alot of motorcycle for the money. I don't want the lowers, I have a bike already with lowers (GSX-R1000) and it reminds me how much I hate lowers everytime I change the oil and filter. I had to put the antifreeze back in the GSXR this past weekend (track season is over) man what a pain in the arse. The Bandit is simple when it comes to an oil change. Suzuki did keep a bit of Bandit heritage on the new one, the gazillion wires and plumbing is still atop the valve cover under the fuel tank. In fact they put the radiator cap under the tank atop the valve cover. Very strange but if you had an older Bandit you'd understand they had to keep some similarities

I like to hit the highway from time to time on a trip and the Bandit suits me just fine for the task at hand. I do at times miss my V-Stroms, they were great bikes for long haul runs. I like the Bandits sportier stance and its handling in the curves over the V-Stroms. Dale Walker makes a touring pipe for the Bandit for the guys who have bags I just have not decided if I want the noise or not yet. The big stock can does get very close to dragging in tight right handers. With the Michelin Pilot Powers I have on this bike right now lean angles are unreal and very stable, very similar to my GSXR, well maybe close
WERA Expert #826
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #54
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

how quick does it eat tires?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #55
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
how quick does it eat tires?
To be honest not real sure yet. The stock Dunlop D218's were a cheap budget tire and I took them off at 2465 miles rear had a plug in it from a fish hook puncture and it only had about 2mm tread left front was not much better. I have 500 hard twisty two up miles on the Michelin Pilot Powers (Road 2's were not available at the time I needed tires before the trip) and the rear lost 1mm tread in 500 miles. Sides wore the same since we were riding in the N.Ga., N.C. where its curvy. I expect to at least get 3k miles on the rear Power, excellent tire but more track oriented than touring. hopefully by the time I need tires the Michelin road 2's will be available here stateside. Dual compound touring tire sounds great to me. It will never get 7~9k miles on a rear like a V-Strom but I am prepared for that. I'm sure there are higher mileage tires available but I like side grip too much to venture off for a rock hard tire. I don't mind changing tires, I am used to it from doing trackdays and the old racing days on sportbikes. I am hoping to at least get 5k on the rear with the Road 2's.

I am a hard core Michelin tire user, my truck has Michelins, my dirtbike has Michelins, my GSXR has Michelins and I roadraced on Michelins so you sort of see a trend here with me.
WERA Expert #826
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #56
Serp.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Chains are the biggest wear item on my Bandit.
I've tries Stock, DID, Tsubaki Sigma and RK. All lasted 10~12K and the RK I killed in 7K.
Yes I know how to care for a chain, I've been doing it for 30 years and usually get around 20K per chain, not so on this bike.
There is no mis-alignment and the slack is checked with me on the bike set to 1 in. For lube I use Maxima Chain Wax. The chain is cleaned every 500 miles and lubed every 300~600 miles depending on how far I ride that day.
65,000 miles and I just installed my 6th chain.
Serp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #57
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp.
Chains are the biggest wear item on my Bandit.
I've tries Stock, DID, Tsubaki Sigma and RK. All lasted 10~12K and the RK I killed in 7K.
Yes I know how to care for a chain, I've been doing it for 30 years and usually get around 20K per chain, not so on this bike.
There is no mis-alignment and the slack is checked with me on the bike set to 1 in. For lube I use Maxima Chain Wax. The chain is cleaned every 500 miles and lubed every 300~600 miles depending on how far I ride that day.
65,000 miles and I just installed my 6th chain.
I had the same problem on my '99 and '00 1200 Bandits. Stock RK chain would be kinking at 7~9k miles. I've noticed on the 1250 it only had 4 marks on the swingarm showing left for adjustment brand new and in 3k miles mine is down to 3 marks left so its stretching. New Bandit has a 18T front sprocket which in theory should reduce chain wear because of the larger radius. Older bikes had a 15T front I think can't remember exactly right now.
WERA Expert #826
Old 11-06-2007, 11:40 AM   #58
Serp.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Mine has a 15T, I went up 1 on the rear to 46T so if I used a 16T front and 48T rear I could keep the same ratio I have now and maybe reduce the wear. It would be nice to have my chains out-last my tires.
Serp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #59
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp.
Mine has a 15T, I went up 1 on the rear to 46T so if I used a 16T front and 48T rear I could keep the same ratio I have now and maybe reduce the wear. It would be nice to have my chains out-last my tires.
That is correct, your final ratio would be 3.00 both ways which is stock for the 1200.

Larger front sprocket reduces chain wear to some extent. Torque on the Bandits is not helping with wear.
WERA Expert #826
Old 11-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #60
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,534
Roy. Try a Scottoiler. 4500 hard miles on my 1250 and no sign of wear. Not even any adjustment yet.
By the way, which of you zooks will you sell if Suzuki bring out the Stratosphere?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote