Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #76
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Jim Davis lives in Japan, where highway speeds are 62mph, and 75mph is about the limit of what you can get away with. The F650gs has plenty of power for these riding conditions. Also, a bike heavy enough to be rock solid on the highway in any conditions sure isn't going to be much good offroad. That said, I haven't experienced any problems being blown around on the highway. At 195 in my gear I probably weigh more than your wife
Good points, and if we would have moved two years sooner, I'm sure Jodie would still be riding the F650. We are moving this summer to BC where speed limits for the most part are 80km/h (50MPH) and the F650 would be perfect. But for where we currently live, Alberta, we have 3 hours of high speed droning in every direction, where the average speed is 75-80MPH, and the F650 just didn't have much left for passing at that point. And the getting blown around was primarily when using the bags, with the bags off the bike was way more stable, but with the bags on it really bugged Jodie. Her back end would be hunting back and forth and just felt "loose". I rode it and it didn't really bother me, it just felt like riding on gravel, but she's never ridden in the dirt so she didn't like that feeling at all. In defense of the F650, there is a warning in the bags to not exceed I believe it's 80MPH???

We keep a couple DRs in storage in BC and took a 1300km road trip this summer to Washington. Jodie's is the DR200, and she absolutely loved it and figures once we move, she'll be riding the little 200 the most. :-)

bross screwed with this post 11-11-2007 at 04:51 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #77
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp.

Granted on the racetrack liquid cooling is a must to be competitive but it simply isn't needed on the street.
The issue isn't that air cooling is ineffective. Increasingly stringent emission regs are the reason that liquid cooling is becoming more prevalent. Its much easier to control emissions with the stable temps that liquid cooling can maintain.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #78
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB
I was able to pick a new ABS Bandit in August for $8K OTD. I was back at the dealer last week and he told me it was the sleeper of the season for him. He sold all of the ones he ordered, and had to have four more trucked in (besides mine). He'll be ordering twice as many for next year.

I've been REALLY happy with this bike after 3K miles. Comfortable, quick, nice for 2-up, and economical (45-50 MPG and less than $200/yr for insurance with collision). Highly recommend this bike!

Looks nice....if you nix the top box!
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #79
KenB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
Looks nice....if you nix the top box!
I usually ride without it unless I'm 2-up and/or on overnights. That space is handy! But it comes off in 2 seconds - best of both worlds.
KenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #80
JerryIUP
Team Wanker

Oddometer: 295
Bandit 1250S

Any input about the new Bandit. Comfort, MPG, unusual maintenance issues? Known trouble spots. General pros/cons? How is the wind for a taller, 6'2" rider? I was also wondering about after market seats, bags? Thanks for the help. JERRY
JerryIUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #81
lordabhi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
There are couple of Bandit threads in this forum that you may want to search. In general they are bullet proof. I got 5K miles on her and not a single hiccup. None of members on other Bandit forums have reported any premature failure of any nature. Suzuki got this one right the first time. The after market is catching up, and currently pickings are limited. These suckers are best bang for the buck.
lordabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #82
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Lots of info on other threads here...do a search
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #83
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Aussie rider posted he got one for riding two up, (deal there free Givi luggage [Suzuki label]) and is delighted. Engne exceptionally smooth and powerful into 3 digits. Not as sporty as Gen1 FZ1 (his primary bike), but considerably better suspension and brakes than previous incarnations. Fit finish and luggage very good. Already a couple of long tours, bar change, windshield acceptable.
SEARCH on yamahafz1oa or sport touring or sportbikes.net

ctfz1 screwed with this post 11-23-2007 at 06:46 AM
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #84
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
[RE: Bandit 1250]"Comfort, MPG, unusual maintenance issues? Known trouble spots. General pros/cons? How is the wind for a taller, 6'2" rider? I was also wondering about after market seats, bags?"

I had mine just over a month and about 1200 miles. I'm 6'3" with a 32" inseam. This is my first I-4 since buying a new 1973 Kaw Z-1. I've been riding singles and twins ever since, and still have many of both. The Bandit has been a revelation in smoothness, flexibility, and torque.

The airstream hits me about the upper chest with my head in clean air. I've changed the bars to Bikemaster Daytona's and may lower the pegs with Buell Ulyses pegs, which I'd already tried on my MG Norge. I just installed SW Motech bag mounts and Givi PLX 35 bags. Since the turn signals are relocated, I'm going to have to extend the left rear turn signal harness --- the right pigtail was long enough. I'm also using an Alaska Leather Sheepskin and have raised the seat to the higher position.

The Bandit's suspension is firm, but well controlled and overall, it handles very well. A Holeshot touring pipe, mirror extenders, Fenda Extenda and Suzuki lower fairing are some of the other mods I've made so far --- I think I'm about done. Although, I'm on the waiting list for a Sargant seat.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #85
Jim Davis
Owner, Eastern Beaver Co

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Jim Davis lives in Japan, where highway speeds are 62mph, and 75mph is about the limit of what you can get away with. The F650gs has plenty of power for these riding conditions. Also, a bike heavy enough to be rock solid on the highway in any conditions sure isn't going to be much good offroad. That said, I haven't experienced any problems being blown around on the highway. At 195 in my gear I probably weigh more than your wife
Hi there. Come on we all know how fast a bike can go on the tollways ;-)

I know I've seen well over 120 mph on the tollways at times but that's just boring after while and if you get caught you might not be riding for awhile, who needs the risk!

I don't take the tollways much though I have some incredible mountain roads around here that really float my boat.

Maybe I'm getting older but I've avoided a speeding ticket in the 7 years I've been riding in Japan and I'd like to keep it that way. That doesn't mean I don't like powerful acceleration though!

I like bikes with real world torque curves as I rarely rev a bike high either.

Which is why I'm drawn to the VStrom. I know the Bandit has it in spades but I want something lighter and smaller. I want something easy to ride, and not top heavy.

I've had a lot of fun on my K100RS on the mountain roads so I'm not afraid of going there on a bike big, but I'm just a bit bored with this bike having had it so long and it IS a top heavy son of a gun.

Still debating on a new bike but it looks like the DL1000 is at the top of my list right now. Just for the fun of it.

I think the Bandit is a fine bike, just not what I want right now.

To be honest, I've even considered a new R1200GS, yes have been considering all kinds of bikes. The wife told me I could get whatever I wanted eh.
2012 Yamaha WR250R in Japan.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #86
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis
The wife told me I could get whatever I wanted eh.
Test-ride as many bikes as possible before plunking your money down. BMW Japan offers 300km test rides. The Japanese makers aren't as generous but at least you can get an idea of what they're like to ride. Sure beats guessing.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #87
JerryIUP
Team Wanker

Oddometer: 295
2002-2005 FZ1 vs. New Bandit1250S?

Any ideas on which is the better bike? The older FZ or the new Bandito? Just gathering some information. Mainly to be used around town and some weekend trips? What kind of engine life on a maintianed FZ1? MPG? I think I read the bandit gets about 42-45? Not sure how accurate this is. How are both of these for a passenger? Thanks again.
JerryIUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #88
KenB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I've owned a 1st gen FZ and a new B1250. I prefer the Bandit. The Bandit has more usable torque lower in the powerband. My wife and daughter tell me the Bandit is more comfortable as a passenger. The Bandit is MUCH cheaper to insure. It also gets better MPG - I'maveraging 48.
KenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #89
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIUP
Any ideas on which is the better bike? The older FZ or the new Bandito? Just gathering some information. Mainly to be used around town and some weekend trips? What kind of engine life on a maintianed FZ1? MPG? I think I read the bandit gets about 42-45? Not sure how accurate this is. How are both of these for a passenger? Thanks again.
I haven't ridden the new Bandit. I did own the first Gen FZ1. Very fast, nice handling bike with excellent brakes, easy to ride around town. But the pegs were higher than the older bandits and the motor was peakier. I would go for the new Bandit as I like monster torque down low and abs. Don't remember the FZ1's mpg but it couldn't have been too bad or I would've remembered.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #90
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
01 FZ1 41, 000 miles, resprung, rear shock revalved, Ivans jet kit, best bike for me ever. [yamahafz1oa.com]Got one 100,000 miler going for 200,000. Fair mumber over 60,000 miles. Known failures one (1) main bearing (6) transmissions 2nd gear (use /abuse??) (3) non drag strip clutches. Seven years after release.
Search web site above, FZ1 lighter, sportier, better brakes, worst feature windshield turbulence. Several riders done in excess of 10,000 mile cross country "see it all" tours.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote