User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1542 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #16801
Mudflaps
Norsk Wort

Oddometer: 5,683

There's not a lot of information that I can find on this aircraft. Perhaps the best info comes from a modeler:

Quote:
For those wondering what the hell a Caudron C.860 looks like here’s a couple of pix of my 1/48 JMGT of France resin. It’s a pretty thing, vintage 1939/1940; intended for long distance city-pairs speed records, specifically Paris-Tokyo. It was hidden in late 1940, during the occupation, and has not been rediscovered to this day. In someone’s barn somewhere – maybe? The plane is essentially composed of Simoun wings, tail and undercarriage with a new, long, fuselage, with a special supercharged Renault Bengali six cylinder, inline, aircooled engine with an automatic engine management system, a dual fuel system, for economy, and a basic autopilot. The canopy was very narrow and slid forward for entry and exit via a removable fuselage panel on the left . The owner/pilot, Andre Japy, raised his seat to put his head into the canopy for take offs and landings and otherwise reclined it so that he was completely below the canopy for comfort in a supine position letting the autopilot and engine management system fly the airplane for him whilst in cruise mode. That’s the reason for the big side-windows
Mudflaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #16802
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
As for the High Road To China...

Here is a a photo of the same type used in the movie:

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #16803
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 845
DeHaviland Tiger Moth.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #16804
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgord View Post
DeHaviland Tiger Moth.
No, but the first time I saw one that is what I thought, too.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #16805
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 845
Yeah, the tail is different, wing struts, no fuel tank in the upper wing, I was HUA when I posted that.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #16806
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,805
Stampe et Vertongen SV.4

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #16807
nt650dood
n00b

Oddometer: 3
That C.860 is beautiful!
nt650dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #16808
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Stampe et Vertongen SV.4
Correct!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #16809
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865

Klay, I was meaning to thank you for all those great video links starting in post #16709. When I was a kid I had all those 50s-era popular science/mechanics magazine issues that were spotted in the first half-dozen or so videos. Thanks for the memory refresh!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #16810
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post

As a kid in the early 70s I used to ride my bicycle to Opa-Locka Airport in NW Miami and spend hours climbing around in the derelict No. 2 aircraft that was there. It was pretty much gutted and in bad shape, but it was an interesting thing to see.

It is kind of sad to realize that kids can't do things like that any more....
I hear you. We were about 2 miles from LGB and the adjoining McDonnell-Douglas factory. I didn't even know what all the planes were except for one, a C-133. I remember bringing our stingrays inside the larger planes so we could stay out there longer and not get reported to the tower by a passing pilot. One of the guards gave us that idea. We could go virtually anywhere. Times were different for sure.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #16811
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Klay, I was meaning to thank you for all those great video links starting in post #16709. When I was a kid I had all those 50s-era popular science/mechanics magazine issues that were spotted in the first half-dozen or so videos. Thanks for the memory refresh!

Thanks, that Bomberguy has quite a trove of good videos.

windigo
Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #16812
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
I hear you. We were about 2 miles from LGB and the adjoining McDonnell-Douglas factory. I didn't even know what all the planes were except for one, a C-133. I remember bringing our stingrays inside the larger planes so we could stay out there longer and not get reported to the tower by a passing pilot. One of the guards gave us that idea. We could go virtually anywhere. Times were different for sure.

I grew up on SAC bases. One day, a friend and I rode our bikes to the flight line at Plattsburgh AFB NY. We had both received cameras as gifts. We were about 14 at the time.

Curiosity got the best of us, and we started taking pictures of the alert birds. We walked right up to one of the FB-111s and took shots of the landing gear, open bomb bays, and weapons within. Amazingly, we were at this for 15 minutes.

The APs screamed up in their blue trucks with lights and sirens blazing. They packed us away to the OPS hangar and called our dads. When they found out my dad was the Avionics Maintenance Squadron CDR, and my buddy's dad was the Wing King, the poor guys almost shit their pants.

Our parents showed up, and we had to give up our film. We honestly didn't know we had done anything wrong, and we weren't punished. Maybe, someone else was.

I don't think that kind of thing would happen today.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #16813
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I don't think that kind of thing would happen today.
Well, there was this time I was riding out west a couple years ago and I saw some sort of facility by the side of the road and I stopped to take pictures and then this blue vehicle roared up...

windigo
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #16814
Mudflaps
Norsk Wort

Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #16815
Mudflaps
Norsk Wort