User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
California OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,034
ABS saved me from

Well, I finally have complete and total proof that the ABS on my Super Tenere does work in the dirt. And, it works really well!

I went for a ride on my day off, really just wandering aimlessly out to the North West of the DFW metromess. When I take off for a get lost type of ride, I give my wife the general direction I'll be heading so that if I don't come back on time, she'll know where to start looking.

Anyway, I was following farm roads, North for a while, then west for a while, you know the way farm roads are laid out around one field and then around the next, and it was a beautiful, sunny day, about 70* and I'd been riding for about a 90 minutes, so I was feeling very comfortable on the bike. Heading down a county road, nice two lane blacktop with no center stripe, about 60 - 70 mph, and just as I crested a small rise, OH SHIT!

The Pavement ended, and up ahead about 150 feet, there is a 90* right turn and I'm now on a dirt and gravel surface. Every ounce of skill I possess is in full action and it's clear there's no way I'm going to slow enough to make the turn, and then it clicks, my feeble little brain sensed that the ABS was trying to keep things from getting out of hand, and I grabbed all the front brakes I could squeeze and stomped on the rear brake pedal. All the while I'm trying to figure out the best way to "get off" when I reach the two foot berm at the edge of the graded road, which surely was going to put me airborne, and I'd probably be in the air all the way to the barbed wire fence, only about 15 feet from there. and then................

Thank You Mr. Yamaha engineer, Thank You! Shuddering and jerking, kicking and lurching, I came to a stop about a foot from the berm. Close enough that I had to back up in order to turn and ride off. And I had to ride off, since I couldn't dismount because my sphincter was still holding on to the seat, and all I could think was DAMN, this ABS shit really works! Clearly it saved my ass! And it did it with no help from me! I am super impressed, I'll never own another bike without ABS, unless, of course, the bike I'm lusting after doesn't come with ABS!

How about you, ever feel like ABS saved you from yourself?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,843
+1 The S10 ABS works great on or off road....have tested on several surfaces. Yamaha nailed it.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
ArmyStrong
6F

Oddometer: 250
I have never had anything close to what you survived, but a few times have grabbed a lot of front brake. ABS is awesome.
ArmyStrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
I'm glad your abs worked. What would have worked better, however, would have been to ride at a speed that would have allowed you to be prepared for the changing conditions so abs wouldn't have mattered.

Just sayin'.
hippiebrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Very Glad to here it all worked out for you. After getting the rear sideways a couple of times on my old Electra glide from some close calls, I had enough and sold it. Picked up a street glide with ABS and have had it for 4 years. I'll never own another street bike with out it.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Lubebu1962
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Thumb Ohhh yesss

Couple of close calls ( 1 on tarmac , the other on light dirt ) with my BM GS 1200 LC and i thanked mein lieber Deutsche ingenieur with all my heart .
It is correct that we have to dial our speed with our skills and road conditions , BUT ( and it's a big but ) in those ..." Oh Shit !! " moments having ABS it's the difference between being on the ground or safe and sound ... ( i am a poet i know... )
Safe ride to everybody.
Lubebu1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
motosikel
nopickles

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
I'm glad your abs worked. What would have worked better, however, would have been to ride at a speed that would have allowed you to be prepared for the changing conditions so abs wouldn't have mattered.

Just sayin'.

Maybe just a little too sanctimonious, hey?

You must be a whole bunch of laughs to go out for a ride with.
motosikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 716
Other way to look at it: ABS saved you on this one, so now you learned from it. Adjust your speed for conditions and ability next time. At least ABS gave you the opportunity for a next time.

One of the best things about riding is its never always the same, and we can learn something from every ride. Makes the next ride that much better.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #9
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,490
...and I've sailed straight thru a stop sign a few times on my R-RT because the ABS kicked off and I had zero braking. Thank doG there weren't any cars coming.

Now, before y'all say 'shoulda slowed down!' this was less than 1/4mi down the road from the entrance to my condo complex and I never did have time to get 'up to speed' like the OP. Ripple bumps in the tarmac and that ABS meant zero stopping.

M
Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,560
Those who Bitch Moan & Whine that Yamaha's ABS has no disable switch don't realize that the system works just as well on road as off, unlike a Brand X's ABS which likes to free wheel and makes you soil your pants. .

I also had an RT, and the "ice patch effect" was truly scary when coming to a stop at an intersection and you ride over a corrugated section of pavement and the ABS free wheels your ass into the intersection.

bottom line, on any bike, if you use ABS just once to save you from yourself it's more than paid for itself.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Yes, the term ABS can mean a lot of things depending on the version. The abs on my 1150gs was a bit crude and if used off road would have you sailing off a cliff. The abs on my 2007 12gs was much better but still needed to be turned off for technical dirt riding. Now the abs in enduro mode on my 2014 GSW is so good in the dirt that you never really need to turn it off. Sounds like Yamaha has it dialed in too. The tech is changing rapidly and getting better too.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:46 AM   #12
Snowbird
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
Other way to look at it: ABS saved you on this one, so now you learned from it. Adjust your speed for conditions and ability next time. At least ABS gave you the opportunity for a next time.
Yeah, now the OP can ride even further beyond his ability and sight.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:18 AM   #13
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Those who Bitch Moan & Whine that Yamaha's ABS has no disable switch don't realize that the system works just as well on road as off, unlike a Brand X's ABS which likes to free wheel and makes you soil your pants. .

I also had an RT, and the "ice patch effect" was truly scary when coming to a stop at an intersection and you ride over a corrugated section of pavement and the ABS free wheels your ass into the intersection.

bottom line, on any bike, if you use ABS just once to save you from yourself it's more than paid for itself.

+1 I am an imperfect rider...I make mistakes on occasion, we all do...ABS can be a safety net when that imperfection makes an appearance. Its not a reason to override your ability.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:25 AM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 52,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
Yeah, now the OP can ride even further beyond his ability and sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
+1 I am an imperfect rider...I make mistakes on occasion, we all do...ABS can be a safety net when that imperfection makes an appearance. Its not a reason to override your ability.
OC get's it!

Those who think they are perfect are usually the ones that get scooped up with a spoon! We all make the occasional mistake, and hopefully learn from them.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:21 AM   #15
Izzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Yeah, now the OP can ride even further beyond his ability and sight
Sounded to me like there should have been a road sign warning of the drastic changes just ahead
Izzo is offline   Reply With Quote