Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 03:51 AM   #226
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil
Get those hips replaced. I just saw a friend of mine who got his replaced last month and I could hardly tell from him walking around. I am going on two years and it has been great. I ask my self every day, "why did I wait"?
My first one is scheduled for November 9th. I am very much looking forward to it.

It hurts like hell just getting my feet up onto the pegs. But I would ride on two bloody stumps if I had to.... looks like a bit of a drag for this coming summer.

Jason
doctor_big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #227
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird54
walking with no support for last 10 days. had session with surgeon today he says I can sleep any way as long as I have a pillow between legs, can even cross my feet. pick up things from floor between legs, using low toilet for 10 days - leg in front. can trot on soft ground. 1 hours walking no pain. scar healed well - dissolving stitches just 2 lumps at each end of scar. off the heroin but still have some. brufen and panadol 2/day only. he says I can paddle on my surfboard but no surfing/golf yet

so v happy
I golfed at 7 weeks, rode the bike at 9 (only because it was raining constantly up to that point). I checked my supply and once I got out of the hospital, I took a total of 26 Percocet over the course of about 2 weeks and can honestly say have not even taken a Tylenol since.

I go under again tomorrow for the other side and have a BBQ planned for Saturday and down to the beach for July 4th. Probably won't make it into the water but the crutches will hopefully attract some bikini clad hotties to come over and oh and ahh over my misfortune.......
IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #228
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

back home....surgery was 5:30 yesterday....home at 7:30 today. feeling great. a couple of percocets and absolutely perfect
IBA #23204
Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #229
doctor_big

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjeff
back home....surgery was 5:30 yesterday....home at 7:30 today. feeling great. a couple of percocets and absolutely perfect
You give me hope buddy! Get well soon. My turn in just over 4 months! I hope I get as good a result as you.

Jason
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #230
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big
You give me hope buddy! Get well soon. My turn in just over 4 months! I hope I get as good a result as you.

Jason
I have absolutely no problem recommending it. I feel so much better it is unbelievable
IBA #23204
Old 06-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #231
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,726
Quote:
I have absolutely no problem recommending it. I feel so much better it is unbelievable
Sounds like life is getting better!

There really is nothing to compare with the difference between before and after the surgery. I hurt less in the recovery room with a 13" incision than I did in pre-op, which amazed me.
My wife and daughters asked me what I wanted to do for Father's Day tomorrow, and I told them that I wanted to go hiking. We're going to hit a short, 5-mile trail on Donner Summit in the morning, and I'm going to bask in the glow that comes from being pain free.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #232
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
Sounds like life is getting better!

There really is nothing to compare with the difference between before and after the surgery. I hurt less in the recovery room with a 13" incision than I did in pre-op, which amazed me.
My wife and daughters asked me what I wanted to do for Father's Day tomorrow, and I told them that I wanted to go hiking. We're going to hit a short, 5-mile trail on Donner Summit in the morning, and I'm going to bask in the glow that comes from being pain free.
That is awesome. After the first one was done, we went to Boston for Memorial Day. Walked the entire city with no pain on the new side. The one that hadn't been done was wonky but now I am looking forward to things like that, riding my bicycle at the shore, camping, all the fun stuff.
IBA #23204
Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #233
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

end of day 5 and feeling great....have been out for dinner, grilled a couple of times but other than that have been being a total slug at home. Doing PT 3 times a week and doing some walking. I am feeling so good after this I almost wish I had another hip to fix.......no wait a minute, I don't.
IBA #23204
Old 06-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #234
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
end of day 5 and feeling great....have been out for dinner, grilled a couple of times but other than that have been being a total slug at home. Doing PT 3 times a week and doing some walking. I am feeling so good after this I almost wish I had another hip to fix.......no wait a minute, I don't.
Sounds like things are working just as they should.

We hiked about 6 miles on Father's Day, and it would have been further if I'd have remembered to bring along either a map or the GPS. We might hit the same trail again this weekend and go for the entire loop, which is about 10 miles.
The best part of the whole thing was my oldest daughter sitting down next to me at lunch and telling me how cool it was to see me happy, without any pain, and enjoying myself so much. My family has been through a lot, what with me being a grouchy SOB for so many years, and now that's all behind us. Damn near started crying when she said it, too.

Steve McQueen

Old 06-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #235
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like things are working just as they should.

We hiked about 6 miles on Father's Day, and it would have been further if I'd have remembered to bring along either a map or the GPS. We might hit the same trail again this weekend and go for the entire loop, which is about 10 miles.
The best part of the whole thing was my oldest daughter sitting down next to me at lunch and telling me how cool it was to see me happy, without any pain, and enjoying myself so much. My family has been through a lot, what with me being a grouchy SOB for so many years, and now that's all behind us. Damn near started crying when she said it, too.
Al, that's awesome. Now if you could just get a memory replacement so you don't forget that GPS, right! ha ha

Today is the one week mark and I feel great. We went out for drinks and ladies night last night. Still a little sore to sit on a bar stool but I survived. Had a dream last night of going for a jog....wow....that's new.

I can't believe how great this feels.
IBA #23204
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #236
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Al, that's awesome. Now if you could just get a memory replacement so you don't forget that GPS, right! ha ha

Today is the one week mark and I feel great. We went out for drinks and ladies night last night. Still a little sore to sit on a bar stool but I survived. Had a dream last night of going for a jog....wow....that's new.

I can't believe how great this feels.

Yeah, a memory replacement would be a very handy thing, indeed.

Steve McQueen

Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #237
doctor_big

How soon do you guys think you could safely go back to working a desk job after getting the surgery? Just had an offer to move up my date from November to July 14!!!!

Jason
Old 06-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #238
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big
How soon do you guys think you could safely go back to working a desk job after getting the surgery? Just had an offer to move up my date from November to July 14!!!!

Jason
My own experience tells me that I could have gone back to a desk job within about two weeks. The biggest issue is driving, as some doctors won't let their patients do that for a few weeks. My job is a nasty, blue-collar type (tire shop) so I waited a full 3 months before returning.

Congrats on getting the date moved up!! I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Steve McQueen

Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #239
doctor_big

Quote:
Congrats on getting the date moved up!! I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.
I'm on it...

The date is MUCH sooner than I expected, and it's quite a shock. Still, I am in such pain right now. It'll be a relief to get it sorted out. Lots of logistics to figger out though.

Jason
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #240
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

staples came out today....doc says the xray looks perfect.

Came in the room and first thing he said to me was "That hip was a BITCH". Said that is pretty much the most spurs he has seen. But all went well. Can transition from partial to full weight bearing as I can tolerate.

We have agreed upon our goal to get riding and playing hockeyagain. I feel great

IBA #23204