Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #256
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjeff
Good luck Jason. You will be surprised how quickly afterwards you'll be feeling great.
I'll report in 5 days when I'm back home . Thanks for the support guys!

Jason
doctor_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #257
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big
I'll report in 5 days when I'm back home . Thanks for the support guys!

Jason
Today is day 28. Jason, you are going to feel sooooo great once the incision heals. You are going to be surprised at the difference.....
IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #258
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,828
Today marks one year since I put the crutches down and started walking pain free. Life. Is. Good.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #259
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
You will do fine, just remember to have all of your house prep done, have someone to drive you home and be available for you for the first few days at home. It sounds like THR if the minimally invasive method is being used.

Here is a press release on this method, seems to be pioneered by the surgeon that did my procedure:

VGH Surgeons Lead National Study on Minimally Invasive Hip Surgery

It's hard to imagine a large, solid mass of a hip joint being replaced through minimally invasive surgery (MIS). But a team from the Centre for Hip Health at Vancouver General Hospital and Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute has perfected this technique and will lead a multicentre national study to determine if minimally invasive hip surgery can produce better health outcomes for patients.

A traditional hip replacement requires an 8-12 inch incision, which results in a significant amount of blood loss, damage to skin, muscle, and bone, and prolonged recovery period. The minimally invasive procedure is done with a single 3-inch incision, but more importantly with less muscle damage once inside the hip.

The study, a randomized clinical trial at seven hospitals across the country, will be led by the VGH Division of Reconstructive Orthopaedics, with Dr. Clive Duncan, Head of the Department of Orthopaedics at VGH and the University of British Columbia, as the principal investigator. Approximately 200 patients will be enrolled; their procedures will be compared to assess the recovery rates, improved functional outcome, enhanced quality of life and satisfaction, as well as evaluate the economic impact of the two different techniques.

The Division of Reconstructive Orthopaedics at VGH, part of the new VGH Centre for Hip Health & Musculoskeletal Research, is a leader in this field and has established the Vancouver MIS Joint Replacement Training Institute (in partnership with VGH's Centre of Excellence for Surgical Education and Innovation, as well as Zimmer Inc., an implant manufacturer in the US) to train surgeons from across Canada and the United States in minimally invasive hip and knee replacement techniques.

The "Vancouver Method" of this MIS hip replacement has recently been demonstrated in a live telecast to an international audience of orthopaedic surgeons in the US and the UK. It will again be demonstrated via another live telecast from VGH OR to the national Orthopaedic Update conference on Thursday, May 5 at the Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel in Vancouver. This telecast will also be transmitted to Uganda, for the first ever demonstration of the MIS hip replacement procedure in Africa.
I think that press release is fairly old, however the VGH/UBC Division of Orthopaedics have the minimally invasive procedure down to a fine art.

The famous Dr Duncan did mine back on March 02/09 using the MIS procedure, uncemented parts and a large femoral head. Works like new and apparently good for 25 years.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #260
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw
I think that press release is fairly old, however the VGH/UBC Division of Orthopaedics have the minimally invasive procedure down to a fine art.

The famous Dr Duncan did mine back on March 02/09 using the MIS procedure, uncemented parts and a large femoral head. Works like new and apparently good for 25 years.

Dr Duncan did mine too, resurfacing. Sounds like you have THR? You don't have hybrid fixation? Bone growth fixation for the stem as well as the cup? Did you have to pay extra for the large ball component?
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #261
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
Dr Duncan did mine too, resurfacing. Sounds like you have THR? You don't have hybrid fixation? Bone growth fixation for the stem as well as the cup? Did you have to pay extra for the large ball component?
THR Bone growth fixation for stem and cup. 38mm ball no extra charge. Too old for resurfacing according to BC Health. I believe no one over 55 qualifies for resurfacing
Old 07-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #262
doctor_big

Quote:
Today is day 28. Jason, you are going to feel sooooo great once the incision heals. You are going to be surprised at the difference.....
Right you are, Jeff. Day 4 after surgery and I feel worlds better. Walking with two canes and in essentially no pain. A bit stiff and sore around the incision, but not as bad as it was before the surgery. Two months to go til I get the left one done!

Had the minimally invasive surgery.... only have a 3inch scar and it's nice, neat and dry.

The only complication was that I have messed-up sockets, and the doc couldn't use metal on metal. I got metal on plastic with the new high-tech polymer that's said to last for 20 years. I'll worry about that later.

I plan on going back to work in two weeks from the date of surgery. Judging on my progress so far, that should be doable. Thanks again everyone for the encouragement.

Jason
Old 07-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #263
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Right you are, Jeff. Day 4 after surgery and I feel worlds better. Walking with two canes and in essentially no pain. A bit stiff and sore around the incision, but not as bad as it was before the surgery. Two months to go til I get the left one done!

Had the minimally invasive surgery.... only have a 3inch scar and it's nice, neat and dry.

The only complication was that I have messed-up sockets, and the doc couldn't use metal on metal. I got metal on plastic with the new high-tech polymer that's said to last for 20 years. I'll worry about that later.

I plan on going back to work in two weeks from the date of surgery. Judging on my progress so far, that should be doable. Thanks again everyone for the encouragement.

Jason
good work Jason. I was at the beach today. Pushed a big assed beach cart across about 200 yards of sand....would have been better if I used both hands but I had to hold on to my beer. I am aching to get back on the bike but since this was my left, I want to build a little strength so I can safely get it up off of the sidestand.

Work your PT hard man. It will hurt like shit but it will be worth it.

J
IBA #23204
Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #264
doctor_big

Quote:
Work your PT hard man. It will hurt like shit but it will be worth it.
Doing my exercises twice per day, as per orders. To tell the truth they're not that hard, but the PT says that I"m NOT to increase the intensity or reps until after my 6-week follow-up.

Taking only Tylenol Arthritis.... 5 days after! Who'd a thunkit?

Jason
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #265
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,828
Quote:
Doing my exercises twice per day, as per orders. To tell the truth they're not that hard, but the PT says that I"m NOT to increase the intensity or reps until after my 6-week follow-up.

Jason

Isn't it cool to discover that something as ordinary as Tylenol will do the trick?
Stick to whatever regimen they gave you. Doing anything more can be nasty painful, as I found out when trying to be Superman after my surgery.

12 miles of hiking today, with only sore feet to show for it.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #266
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw
THR Bone growth fixation for stem and cup. 38mm ball no extra charge. Too old for resurfacing according to BC Health. I believe no one over 55 qualifies for resurfacing

Right you are, I am 51 and that is why BHR (resurfacing) was still an option. The large ball is around 50 odd mm though I believe and has to be metal on metal, even if it's THR. I was offered your metal on crosshatched poly as well, as the metal ions talk was also given to me.

Apparently UBC is the low risk surgical site and VGH is the high risk surgical site.

Was the component rep in the surgery room when you were being prepped? Mine was, apparently it's common.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #267
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Jason
4 1/2 months since the first and 4 1/2 weeks since number two. Total for both surgeries 2 weeks of Percocet and not even a Tylenol above and beyond that. I was at 6 Aleve a day before the first.
IBA #23204
Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #268
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
It's great to hear that everyone is having a great outcome. It doesn't seem posible before the surgery. Went on a 100+ mile dualsport ride today. The hip was never a concern...
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #269
Big Mike 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thumb

Add another voice for the great results of a hip resurfacing. I'm coming up on eight years this December with my metal on metal replacement. The results have been great. I'm doing more now than I was able to do with the pain of the hip, and mobility, flexibility, and strength have never been a problem since the initial 6 week no weight bearing period. In fact the day I was cleared for weight bearing, I handed the crutches to the nurse and danced right out of the doctor's office, no physical therapy required. The only issue I've had since the replacement was a quite alarming squeak that caught me by surprise. I was out on a whitewater kayaking trip and we were walking up to scout a rapid when the group I was walking and I heard this squeak sounding like a bad screen door hinge. We chalked it up to someones rubber kayaking gear until I realized that everytime I swung the leg with the replacement, we heard the squeak. Needless to say I was a bit alarmed, but after talking to the doctor, he told me I had probably become dehydrated and this can cause a squeak. Sure enough after some hydration, no more squeak. Hence, I now have a built in sensor for my internal water levels. For those considering this procedure, I have to give it a big thumbs up. Even at my size, 6'6" and 280 or so, there haven't been any other issues. This is the best piece of chrome I have ever put on anything, and I'm not usually a fan of a lot of chrome! (My implant is cobalt chrome which was an experimental implant at the time but was being used since cobalt is a naturally occuring metal in the body and was thought to not cause any metal ion interactions in the body).
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #270
doctor_big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike 1
The only issue I've had since the replacement was a quite alarming squeak that caught me by surprise.
Did they install a zerk fitting so you can lube it up? Synthetic grease only of course!

8 days in and walking around the house without a cane or crutches. Using a cane when I go out for longer walks.

Jason