ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #16
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Oddometer: 293
I had my right hip replaced in10/97 and the left hip replaced the following year. Life is a lot better without the constant pain. I ride dirt a little with my grandson but have never been that aggressive off road. I do ride rather aggresively on the street (at least for a 66 year old geezer). I have stepped off a time or two at speed on each hip with no problems.
As far as the new hip only lasting 10 years, that's what my surgeon told me in the years before I finally had the surgery at age 55. I think they just want you to wait as long as you can stand it. After the first surgery he told me it would be good for about 20 years. I think the new ceramic hips replacements are almost lifetime.
I quit running to lengthen the life of the replacement, martial arts and skiing as I thought those might lead to the hip dislocating. Once they come out, it's easier to happen again. Good luck. Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #17
Lep
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: NSW
Oddometer: 421
I can't speak from personal experience but a 75yo friend just had his second hip replaced and he tells me the experience was markedly easier in every way than his first replacement. As others have said the technology and the techniques improve constantly.

The replacement released him from constant nagging pain and difficulty sleeping. He rides a R110RT and although he doesn't ride often he rides it well. No off-road but he is considering buying an 1150GS Adventure so he may have some dirt road plans in mind He rides a push-bike and plays bowls for exercise.

Good luck with your operation and I hope you have many years of safe riding in your future.
Lep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyTom
Why can't someone invent/design a ball joint for a hip where the wearing surfaces are replaced but the joint connections are left intact?

The man at 40 who said his antificial hip had a 10 year life span and after that he was going to be in a wheelchair is not a good option and offers an opportunity for someone to design a better device/product.

Good luck all.

I'm 43, and I'll be having a hip resurfacing procedure done in either December or January. I was hit by a car while riding in 1988, and my hip has finally degenerated to the point that the pain is constant and excruciating. I work in a nasty blue-collar job, too, which doesn't really help.
The resurfacing procedure leaves the femoral head intact with a cobalt/chrome stell cap glued on it, and a matching socket is fitted to the acetabulum (pelvis). I'll run metal-to-metal, with yearly kidney exams to check for metal ions in the blood.
The doctors at UC Davis have told me that after a full year of properly rehabbing I'll be able to do anything that I could before I was injured.
Check out www.birminghamhipresurfacing.com for the details. Not everyone is a condidate for this type of procedure, but it sure looks promising. I'll keep everyone here informed of my progress.
Good luck to everyone out there who is going through this type of pain. There is relief available!!
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 AM   #19
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream
 
jstcrashnthru's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Omawhere?
Oddometer: 1,212
Birmingham's are nice. But only a very small percentage of hip patients qualify for them. We've just started doing them again after a several year hiatus. The technology has finally caught up with the theory and they are much better than they used to be. They're good for younger, realatively active, and otherwise healthy patients. It still leaves the femoral head intact and makes it easier to do a total hip later if/when the Birmingham wears out.
__________________
'07 DL1000 V-Strom
jstcrashnthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #20
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
Birmingham's are nice. But only a very small percentage of hip patients qualify for them. We've just started doing them again after a several year hiatus. The technology has finally caught up with the theory and they are much better than they used to be. They're good for younger, realatively active, and otherwise healthy patients. It still leaves the femoral head intact and makes it easier to do a total hip later if/when the Birmingham wears out.

That's what made it so attractive to me. I've still got a lot of hiking and backpacking to do. My doctor at Davis told me that it's possible to make this last a lifetime if it's rehabbed properly and well cared-for after recovery. I suppose we'll see..........
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #21
custmmc OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
custmmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Leeds, AL
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
Birmingham's are nice. But only a very small percentage of hip patients qualify for them. We've just started doing them again after a several year hiatus. The technology has finally caught up with the theory and they are much better than they used to be. They're good for younger, realatively active, and otherwise healthy patients. It still leaves the femoral head intact and makes it easier to do a total hip later if/when the Birmingham wears out.
justcrashnthru

Can you give us some more information on what would disqualify someone from getting a hip resurfacing? The doctor said I did not qualify, but during the office visit we had so many other questions to ask that we did not follow up on the resurfacing issue. I would prefer the resurfacing because it allows for more long term options.

I would also like to know more about a hip fusion. Would it be possible to ride motorcycles at all after a hip fusion? During my first doctor consultation he suggested hip fusion, but at the next visit he said I should not consider fusion.

Thanks to all for contributing. This is great information, please keep it coming. I will continue to collect comments for a few more days, and then try to summarize what I learned from this and other postings.

I look forward to the day that I can enjoy riding something more entertaining than the electric shopping carts at Wal-Mart.

Ron
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #22
custmmc OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
custmmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Leeds, AL
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
I'm 43, and I'll be having a hip resurfacing procedure done in either December or January. I was hit by a car while riding in 1988, and my hip has finally degenerated to the point that the pain is constant and excruciating. I work in a nasty blue-collar job, too, which doesn't really help.
The resurfacing procedure leaves the femoral head intact with a cobalt/chrome stell cap glued on it, and a matching socket is fitted to the acetabulum (pelvis). I'll run metal-to-metal, with yearly kidney exams to check for metal ions in the blood.
The doctors at UC Davis have told me that after a full year of properly rehabbing I'll be able to do anything that I could before I was injured.
Check out www.birminghamhipresurfacing.com for the details. Not everyone is a condidate for this type of procedure, but it sure looks promising. I'll keep everyone here informed of my progress.
Good luck to everyone out there who is going through this type of pain. There is relief available!!
Bigger Al

Have you had the "pin" hardware on your femoral head since 1988, or did you have a pelvic fracture? Is your pain a result of AVN or something else? Lasting for ten years after hip trauma seems very impressive to me. A year and a half after the accident, I returned to work for three weeks. Due to the increased activity (a lot of walking) the hardware "pin" on my femoral head was irritating the tendon on the outside of my leg. During the surgery in June 2006 to remove the hardware, I got an infection, and have not yet been able to recover. Doctor and Hospital selection is critical to the success of any surgery.

Hope the hip resurfacing works for you, and you have a quick recovery. Please keep me updated.

Ron
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:58 AM   #23
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream
 
jstcrashnthru's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Omawhere?
Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc
justcrashnthru

Can you give us some more information on what would disqualify someone from getting a hip resurfacing? The doctor said I did not qualify, but during the office visit we had so many other questions to ask that we did not follow up on the resurfacing issue. I would prefer the resurfacing because it allows for more long term options.

I would also like to know more about a hip fusion. Would it be possible to ride motorcycles at all after a hip fusion? During my first doctor consultation he suggested hip fusion, but at the next visit he said I should not consider fusion.

Thanks to all for contributing. This is great information, please keep it coming. I will continue to collect comments for a few more days, and then try to summarize what I learned from this and other postings.

I look forward to the day that I can enjoy riding something more entertaining than the electric shopping carts at Wal-Mart.

Ron
Age and activity level. The younger (under 55 or so) and the more active the better.

AVN...avascualr necrosis...can't do a Birmingham. AVN basically means that the bone is starved of blood supply and starts to degrade.

Presence of a lot of ostephytes (bone spurs). Can make it very difficult to get a good resurfacing.

Overall condition of the femoral head (the ball part) and the acetabulum (the socket part). If there has been bone on bone contact for a long period of time, the femoral head will actually grind down.

Other damage, such as a fracture.

If you qualify, a Birmingham is a great option. But that's not to say that a good orthopedic surgeon won't be able to give you a similar result using a traditional total hip procedure. As I said before, these things have come a long way and it's not unusual for patients to get 15-20 years out of a total hip. With the new technologies, some patients may even get a lifetime out of a single hip.

You might want to ask your doctor about PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) as well. We use it pretty extensively and the results are pretty damn amazing.
__________________
'07 DL1000 V-Strom
jstcrashnthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #24
quinnman
Adventurer
 
quinnman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: MV
Oddometer: 28
i am 35 years old and got my hip replaced 4 years ago. I used to road race and had a fast highside at willlow springs. The whole right side of my body was pretty banged up. That was in 97. The doctors fixed everything up except for my hip. They did not know it was dammaged unitl later.

The doctor that i was going to told me i was too young for a hip replacement and that i should get use not doing anything high impact. I told the doc to stck it and did a bunch of research. I found a really cool doc who worked w/ me over a 5 year period. In the begining he just scoped my hip and cleaned up the damaged bits. He said to try and wait for a little bit because the technolgy for the replacement was getting way better.

So i waited then when the pain was too much i did it. it was like having a different body. I ride my dirt bike at least everyother weekend. I go snowboarding in the winter. i hike and mt bike. The more i do the better i feel. If i get lazy thats when things start to stiffen up. You just gotta stay inshape, which is better any way.

I say do it.
quinnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #25
eddyline
Adventure Commuter
 
eddyline's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: SoCalCoast
Oddometer: 174
There is a new procedure; don't know if it's being done everywhere, but out here, it's becoming very popular:

http://www.hoaghospital.org/orthoped...cedures02.aspx
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #26
custmmc OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
custmmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Leeds, AL
Oddometer: 353
quinnman

I sent you a PM.

I would like to get more information about your surgery.

Did you have AVN?

Thanks,

Ron
custmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #27
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc
justcrashnthru

Can you give us some more information on what would disqualify someone from getting a hip resurfacing? The doctor said I did not qualify, but during the office visit we had so many other questions to ask that we did not follow up on the resurfacing issue. I would prefer the resurfacing because it allows for more long term options.

I would also like to know more about a hip fusion. Would it be possible to ride motorcycles at all after a hip fusion? During my first doctor consultation he suggested hip fusion, but at the next visit he said I should not consider fusion.

Thanks to all for contributing. This is great information, please keep it coming. I will continue to collect comments for a few more days, and then try to summarize what I learned from this and other postings.

I look forward to the day that I can enjoy riding something more entertaining than the electric shopping carts at Wal-Mart.

Ron
Always get a second opinion on something this serious.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #28
guzzidave21
The Professor
 
guzzidave21's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Southern Part of Heaven
Oddometer: 178
I am very interested in this thread as well.
My bike just isn't very hip at all. But I do enjoy riding it.
I don't know whether to get a hip new bike or try for a complete restoration on the old one.
Any ideas?
guzzidave21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #29
jonz
Miles are my mantra
 
jonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
Oddometer: 2,258
I heard

Larry Roessler had a hip replacement and is back racing off road. One of my riding partners races District 37 in the same class as Roessler says he is back racing smoking fast. Maybe you'd want to give him a call at his shop.
__________________
JONZ
KTM 950 SE, KTM640 ADV ( Hibachi, risen from the ashes)
KTM520EXC (broken), KTM 400XC (the replacement)
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #30
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by custmmc
Bigger Al

Have you had the "pin" hardware on your femoral head since 1988, or did you have a pelvic fracture? Is your pain a result of AVN or something else? Lasting for ten years after hip trauma seems very impressive to me. A year and a half after the accident, I returned to work for three weeks. Due to the increased activity (a lot of walking) the hardware "pin" on my femoral head was irritating the tendon on the outside of my leg. During the surgery in June 2006 to remove the hardware, I got an infection, and have not yet been able to recover. Doctor and Hospital selection is critical to the success of any surgery.

Hope the hip resurfacing works for you, and you have a quick recovery. Please keep me updated.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Sorry about not replying to this, but i just saw it today. My Femur was snapped in half about 4.5 inches below the femoral head, and I had a stainless steel rod inserted into the femur. It was fixed in place by two screws about 2 inches above the knee. I haven't been diagnosed with AVN, but with severe arthritis.
I went to UC Davis on Wednesday for my pre-surgery appointment, and received some distressing news: my hip has deteriorated to the point that a resurfacing procedure might not now be viable. I may have to have a complete replacement, which changes things for me considerably. Please understand that I'm not complaining. The pain is so severe that any relief will be so very welcome, but considering that I'm only 43, the replacement will place some very strict limitations on my activities.
It's been 19 years, and the end of hurting is close, so I'm a pretty happy guy.

I really wish you well in your recovery. Infection is a big fear of mine, and I feel that the choice of UC Davis Med Center is the best possible one for my area.
Take care, and please keep me updated on how you're doing.
Al
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014