Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Here's to a speedy recovery...Cheers!
jacksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #422
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 475
Good luck! You'll be as good as new (actually better) before you know it!
Wookazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #423
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Good luck Paul. Hopefully by now you are flying high on morphine......

IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #424
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by psolk View Post
Take care guys, I am off to the hospital to trade in my old clunker of a hip for a brand spankin shiny new one
Cheers!
-Paul
Are you discharged from the hospital yet Paul? Your feedback will be helpful to others too so keep this thread informed if you can.

A few people I know had reactions to the pill version of morphine prescribed once the drip version is removed and back at home. I also had a reaction and had to switch to something else. If you feel especially weak and wiped out after something easy like getting up to use the bathrooom and back to your couch/lazy boy, let me know and I'll expand on this for you.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #425
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

I used to have this stigma that hip replacement spelled the end of youthful activities such as riding dirt bikes. My grandmother had her hip replaced about fifteen years ago and she never walked unassisted again. Let's face it, hip replacement recipients are forever doomed to have to use a walker, right? My surgeon really didn't come out and put any restrictions on my lifestyle, once I was healed up (6 months). He acted as though he didn't recommend riding dirt bikes anymore but I asked him if he was telling me this from a liability standpoint and he just grinned. Before I went under my anesthesia, I told him (my surgeon) to use the philosophy "when in doubt, make it stout" since I wasn't going to give up riding. I did some "light" trail riding on my CRF250X at four to five months post op on my right hip and anticipate doing the same after I'm healed up from my left one. It's been two weeks today since I had my BHR on my left side, which puts me at three more weeks before I start riding my KLR650 on easy stuff. It's so good to hear all of the success stories on this thread. It inspired me to go for it!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #426
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
I used to have this stigma that hip replacement spelled the end of youthful activities such as riding dirt bikes. My grandmother had her hip replaced about fifteen years ago and she never walked unassisted again. Let's face it, hip replacement recipients are forever doomed to have to use a walker, right? My surgeon really didn't come out and put any restrictions on my lifestyle, once I was healed up (6 months). He acted as though he didn't recommend riding dirt bikes anymore but I asked him if he was telling me this from a liability standpoint and he just grinned. Before I went under my anesthesia, I told him (my surgeon) to use the philosophy "when in doubt, make it stout" since I wasn't going to give up riding. I did some "light" trail riding on my CRF250X at four to five months post op on my right hip and anticipate doing the same after I'm healed up from my left one. It's been two weeks today since I had my BHR on my left side, which puts me at three more weeks before I start riding my KLR650 on easy stuff. It's so good to hear all of the success stories on this thread. It inspired me to go for it!
When I asked my surgeon what his thoughts were on riding my motorcycle post surgery, his response was "don't crash." I am coming up on two years since the right side was done and 21 months since the left was done. I was golfing and riding within 6 weeks of each. I am playing hockey twice a week, riding and all the other fun stuff I did before.

The point of having them done is to get back to what we love, right?

IBA #23204
Old 01-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #427
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Pauly,

How you doing, brother? You should be up and about by now. Don't they let you have a laptop at rehab? Looks like you got out of another day of shoveling!

Give us an update.

IBA #23204
Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #428
psolk
TMAX Noob

Oddometer: 115
Thumb

Hey guys!!!!!
I am home!! I had a really tough time post-op (lost over 40% of my blood and was borderline transfusion) and had horrible back spasms post-op AND the meds they had me on made me sick as a dog! Hence the no updates for a while...

Then all of a sudden I did a total 180 over the weekend. I never used a walker, went straight to crutches, then Friday which was 8 days post-op I decided I had enough of the crutches and grabbed a cane. By Sunday I decided I was good with the cane and wanted to try walking on my own without any assistance (despite everyone telling me it was too soon) So I dropped the cane on Sunday and by Monday I was walking with barely a limp Everyone at rehab was asking me who I was there visiting LOL!! Today was my 12 day post-op with Dr. Levine and he said he had never had anyone walk into his office 12 days after a THR without walker, crutches, cane OR a limp. You would really never even know I had anything done and I am even walking up the stairs like a "normal" person just walking up the steps... AND 90% of my lower back pain is gone as well!!! In fact I am doing so well, I was cleared to start driving again on my own starting tomorrow which isn't even two weeks after the surgery (that is on my birthday Thursday)

So all in all I absolutely can not believe it! Is it a bit uncomfortable, sure but am I walking without any assistance, absolutely!!! Like I said, the meds were horrible and made me sick as a dog which made things a lot worse as did the blood loss and the back spasms but once I got over all of that crap and could focus on 4 hours a day of rehab things started to turn around at an unbelievable rate... I am in disbelief that I am feeling this good as I write this update. (Hell, I even closed two business deals in rehab )

Thanks for all the support and it is GREAT to be back!!! For anyone contemplating or on the fence, go for it. Obviously we all heal at our own rate and I can't guarantee you will feel like I did post-op but once you round that corner the results are amazing! My biggest thing now is not to OVER do things and to be patient while my blood levels come back to normal and the bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments heal. Imagine that, my biggest issue is not over-doing things

Thank you so much again guys, all the best to everyone and Jeff, I can't wait to meet up and go for a ride once the weather breaks!

Cheers guys, going to take a dilaudid now as it is my first day out and I am about to do my home exercises for the first time. The hardest part about today is waiting until tomorrow to shower!

Can't say thanks enough, this thread, the guys in it and the info I gathered were complete game changers for me and REALLY helped me through!
All the best,
Paul
HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals
2009 T-Max (deceased)
psolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #429
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
A few people I know had reactions to the pill version of morphine prescribed once the drip version is removed and back at home. I also had a reaction and had to switch to something else. If you feel especially weak and wiped out after something easy like getting up to use the bathrooom and back to your couch/lazy boy, let me know and I'll expand on this for you.
As I was sayin'

Good work on the bounce back, Paul.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #430
psolk
TMAX Noob

Thanks BMR! You definitely called it!

Did you guys use anything like Zofran or Tigan for anti-nausea? I was getting some shots of Tigan in rehab and they gave me some Zofran to go home with so I can take it with the Dilaudid before/after therapy... I am one of those guys that has a really bad stomach when it comes to pain killers. Combine that with a high tolerance for the meds themselves and it is a recipe for disaster...
Paul
HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals
2009 T-Max (deceased)
Old 01-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #431
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psolk View Post
Thanks BMR! You definitely called it!

Did you guys use anything like Zofran or Tigan for anti-nausea? I was getting some shots of Tigan in rehab and they gave me some Zofran to go home with so I can take it with the Dilaudid before/after therapy... I am one of those guys that has a really bad stomach when it comes to pain killers. Combine that with a high tolerance for the meds themselves and it is a recipe for disaster...
Paul

Atta boy Paul.

I had to get off the pill version of morphine, hydro morphone...aka dilaudid....my body did not respond well to it. I ended up on oxy condone which was a perfect fit. (Percaset?)

The drip version of morphine during and post op worked but as soon as the pill version was started, weakness, fatigue, dizziness, nausea.....I had to get off it as I could not sleep or recover due to the terrible feeling. As mentioned, hobbling to the washroom and back would wipe me out for an honest 10 minutes.

A friend of mine had the same reaction to it. He switched to Percaset and was literally a different person on the phone within one day. He was finally healing and able to do his post op exercises at home.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #432
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Like you, I was borderline needing a transfusion after my first BHR last April. The surgeon told me that most people getting hip surgery are older and don't have the muscle mass I do (I used to be a runner). One big problem I had, other than fatigue normally associated with annemia was terrible headaches when I slept for any length of time. Have you had that problem? On my latest surgery (3 weeks 1 day post op), they did a neat recycle set up on my blood... and bingo! No headaches! I am still fatigued but it may be a result of that darn Coumadin. Surgeon forgot to put me on that on my first hip op. Glad to hear you're recovering so quickly! Wait until you get all that range of motion back!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #433
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Oddometer: 97
WELCOME BACK! You're not alone on the meds. They make alot of folks sick. The pain meds always get me. You are doing great! All the odd feelings of the new hip will go away once the incision is healed fully and you get all of your quad strenght back, which shouldn't take you long. Congrats and remember, spring is coming and it'll be two wheel time! Zuti

Heritage Softtail Classic - KTM 450 EXC
zuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #434
psolk
TMAX Noob

Thanks for all the great info BMR!! I am going to speak to my doc about the percocet today and see if we can give it a whirl. I know it is not quite as strong as the dilaudid but I would sacrifice a little more discomfort for feeling like a normal human being!!

Wooka, I am indeed getting the headaches but I was pulled from the Coumadin yesterday. Doc said as long as there were no clots and circulation looked good he wanted to get me off ASAP. But yes, I have had the fatigue and headaches as well and I NEVER get headaches so this is totally new to me. Similar to you the doc said it was the age/muscle mass that contributed to the blood loss and even with the recirculation system for that first 48 hours I still lost 40%. My hemoglobin levels were up to 8.7 though so at least things are moving in the right direction. I think I was in bed asleep by 8pm last night though....

Thanks Zuti!!! I will be back on that bike the first day the weather breaks you can count on it!! It is great to have a goal like that in the back of your mind... My biggest concern right now is swinging the leg over the seat on the bike but like you guys keep saying, it will come when I get that range of motion back!!!

Thanks again guys, off to PT now!!!
Paul
2009 T-Max (deceased)
Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #435
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Paul,

It's good to see you are home.

A couple of things I learned. Take the iron pills religiously. That will really help with the fatigue and the hemogolbin issues. I didn't have a whole lot of blood loss and came back really quickly but the supplements sure helped.

I was only on Percocet for mine. I took it for a week and decided I'd rather have a beer so not wanting to mix chemicals, I weaned myself off the Perc pretty quickly. If you do go on it, make sure you eat A LOT of fiber. The combination of the iron supplements and Percocet will bind you up something fierce. Lots of bran and fluids my friend.

My biggest concern after the surgery wasn't getting my leg over the seat. It was holding the bike up if I needed to support its full weight on the operative side. Turned out to be a lot of worry for nothing as the joint was rock solid.

I am planning on heading in to the bike show on Saturday. Don't know if you are up for a day trip but let me know.

IBA #23204