Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #511
psolk
TMAX Noob

Oddometer: 115
So I saw the doc yesterday for my 6 week check-up... Everything is going great and he could not believe my progress for 6 weeks. Surprisingly enough (to me at least) he did not lift my hip restrictions even with how well I am doing. He also said I needed to give it a few more weeks before I took the bike for a ride. Apparently their concern is not me or how I am feeling it is the femur and the fusion of the prosthetic to the femur...

So I am doing great but I do have 6 more weeks of hip restrictions, 6 more weeks of physical therapy and a few more weeks before I get back on the bike.

So a little frustrating but big picture I am doing great and the recovery is going much better than expected. He also promised me we would get the right to 100% before we spoke about the left...

Hope everyone else is well!!!
HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals
2009 T-Max (deceased)
psolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #512
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Oddometer: 97
[QUOTE=psolk;15267384]So I saw the doc yesterday for my 6 week check-up... Everything is going great and he could not believe my progress for 6 weeks. Surprisingly enough (to me at least) he did not lift my hip restrictions even with how well I am doing. He also said I needed to give it a few more weeks before I took the bike for a ride. Apparently their concern is not me or how I am feeling it is the femur and the fusion of the prosthetic to the femur...

So I am doing great but I do have 6 more weeks of hip restrictions, 6 more weeks of physical therapy and a few more weeks before I get back on the bike.

QUOTE]
Not surprising because most Docs these days are almost overly cautious because so many people are ready to litigate at the slightest problem, so they tend to err on the cautios side. Still, six weeks will fly by and before you know it... 'right hand on the gas, left hand on the clutch'... time to hit the road (figuratively that is)! Glad to hear you doing so well!

Heritage Softtail Classic - KTM 450 EXC
zuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #513
psolk
TMAX Noob

Oddometer: 115
Zuti, Look close at the pic of my bike... No clutch!!! Yep, I can still foot shift or even paddle shift or select 3 different full automatic modes. Plus my gas tank is actually a lit trunk with power adapter in it...
So yes to the right hand on the throttle but one thing I never have to do is left hand on the clutch!

In all seriousness though after my spinal fusion I was left with serious neuropathy down the left leg which makes it really hard to shift all day with my left foot. I can barely toe up at all and if my leg is tired I can't period. The Aprilia with Paddle shifting is phenomenal for me because I actually upshift with the paddle and downshift with my foot and the bike clutches for me. Brilliant!

And yes, 6 weeks will fly by! I am getting better every day and thinking about the hip less and less which are all signs of returning to "normal"

Thanks Zuti!
HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals
2009 T-Max (deceased)
psolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #514
zuti
One Hip Wonder

[QUOTE=psolk;15267875]Zuti, Look close at the pic of my bike... No clutch!!! Yep, I can still foot shift or even paddle shift or select 3 different full automatic modes. Plus my gas tank is actually a lit trunk with power adapter in it...
So yes to the right hand on the throttle but one thing I never have to do is left hand on the clutch!
QUOTE]

Dang! Them thar new-fangled gizmos! That's awesome, just one less thing to have to jack with! Very cool. I just sold a bunch more stuff on E-bay last night, getting very close to 'off-road purchase time'!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #515
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 474
[QUOTE=zuti;15267768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psolk View Post
Not surprising because most Docs these days are almost overly cautious because so many people are ready to litigate at the slightest problem, so they tend to err on the cautios side.
On my first hip my surgeon was playing the "be very careful and don't do this or that" card. I accused him of playing it safe for the above reason... and he just smiled.

Glad to hear you're doing good. The less you think about your hip, the better you're doing!
Wookazoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #516
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by psolk View Post
So I saw the doc yesterday for my 6 week check-up... Everything is going great and he could not believe my progress for 6 weeks. Surprisingly enough (to me at least) he did not lift my hip restrictions even with how well I am doing. He also said I needed to give it a few more weeks before I took the bike for a ride. Apparently their concern is not me or how I am feeling it is the femur and the fusion of the prosthetic to the femur...

So a little frustrating but big picture I am doing great and the recovery is going much better than expected. He also promised me we would get the right to 100% before we spoke about the left...

Hope everyone else is well!!!
Paul....check the weather....not like you are missing any great riding. Take the time and come back better than ever.!

IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #517
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Take your time Paul as there are many years ahead of you to enjoy a functional hip, so you should let this thing settle into place. Give the stem and cup a lot of time to let the bone browth happen naturally for a strong fixation.

Be patient.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #518
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Next Saturday will be the 2 year anniversary of my first hip being done. June 18 will be the 2 year mark for the other one. On Monday, I will play my fourth hockey game in 9 days.

Although it is frustrating in the initial stages, I can assure you that your quality of life will be so much better within a relatively short time.

IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #519
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

I had dinner with a good friend of mine last night that was in town for a RTP (Recreational Trails Program) meeting. He's in his late 60's and is the co-founder of the Arkansas Hare Scramble Series and a long time racer having competed in GNCC competition and Baja. He's had THR in both hips and is still riding on MX tracks! He was telling me last night about riding with his grandson and "clearing doubles"! His knees are shot now, but he still rides. It reminds me of the time I met Dick Mann back in the early 1990's. He walked slow and with a limp... but once he swung a leg over his vintage BSA, no one could catch him!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #520
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
I had dinner with a good friend of mine last night that was in town for a RTP (Recreational Trails Program) meeting. He's in his late 60's and is the co-founder of the Arkansas Hare Scramble Series and a long time racer having competed in GNCC competition and Baja. He's had THR in both hips and is still riding on MX tracks! He was telling me last night about riding with his grandson and "clearing doubles"! His knees are shot now, but he still rides. It reminds me of the time I met Dick Mann back in the early 1990's. He walked slow and with a limp... but once he swung a leg over his vintage BSA, no one could catch him!
Wook - Man I love hearing those kind of stories! I am seriously pumped for this riding season! Just need to get the bike now! Zuti

Old 02-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #521
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN
ZEPHYR

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuti View Post
Wook - Man I love hearing those kind of stories! I am seriously pumped for this riding season! Just need to get the bike now! Zuti
+1

I wish I had never sold my WR450F, Oh well, I still have the KDX!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #522
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 689
protective gear

These look promising... http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-...htm?1=1&menu=1
Old 02-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #523
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

2 months from the day since I had my surgery, I got my CRF out and rode it around my yard/field and even down a county road just to get the feel of it (wearing my latest statement in fashion riding gear). I didn't do my normal yard stuff like "jump the stump" or do the ride "up and over the porch and down the steps to the basement". But still, it felt good to be on a real dirt bike again. Oh well, the KLR will have to do until June!
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #524
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
2 months from the day since I had my surgery, I got my CRF out and rode it around my yard/field and even down a county road just to get the feel of it (wearing my latest statement in fashion riding gear). I didn't do my normal yard stuff like "jump the stump" or do the ride "up and over the porch and down the steps to the basement". But still, it felt good to be on a real dirt bike again. Oh well, the KLR will have to do until June!

Hey Wook - If that baby is plated, is it for sale? That's what I'm looking for! Zuti

Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #525
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Zuti, no it's not plated and I've been going through a lot of research (asking questions) over on the Thumpers thread under XR250R. I have an '04 XR250 and was trying to decide which bike to plate. Kind of leaning toward the XR since I would have to gear either one higher and the CRF is my race machine that I'd rather leave alone. I do need to plate one of them since spring/summer is just around the corner and we have big and small bike dual sport rides over in the Ozarks. The KLR is just not the bike for technical single track in the mountains! As far as selling it... it's took me a long time to get my play toys in order. I'm pretty happy with what I have and plan on keeping them. I've seen quite a few CRF250X's out there for sale and every once in a while I see a dealer that has leftover previous year models (or two year old brand new ones) for some great prices. They haven't changed in the past few years so whatever you get would be up-to-date.

By the way, I could not believe how easy it was to swing a leg over this thing! I have my preload stiffened up on both the CRF and XR and haven't been able to swing a leg over in a long time without it dragging on the seat/fender. I threw my leg over this one and never touched the bike! Not only that, but was able to kick start it (battery was dead) without any issues. Life is good!
Attached Images