Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #526
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookazoid View Post
Zuti, no it's not plated and I've been going through a lot of research (asking questions) over on the Thumpers thread under XR250R. I have an '04 XR250 and was trying to decide which bike to plate. Kind of leaning toward the XR since I would have to gear either one higher and the CRF is my race machine that I'd rather leave alone. I do need to plate one of them since spring/summer is just around the corner and we have big and small bike dual sport rides over in the Ozarks. The KLR is just not the bike for technical single track in the mountains! As far as selling it... it's took me a long time to get my play toys in order. I'm pretty happy with what I have and plan on keeping them. I've seen quite a few CRF250X's out there for sale and every once in a while I see a dealer that has leftover previous year models (or two year old brand new ones) for some great prices. They haven't changed in the past few years so whatever you get would be up-to-date.

By the way, I could not believe how easy it was to swing a leg over this thing! I have my preload stiffened up on both the CRF and XR and haven't been able to swing a leg over in a long time without it dragging on the seat/fender. I threw my leg over this one and never touched the bike! Not only that, but was able to kick start it (battery was dead) without any issues. Life is good!
COOL Wook! I really like the the technical riding gear you got there! Is that 'all Klim all the time?' Looking pretty seriously at a KTM EXC450 right now. We'll see how it goes after I get back from vacation (we leave on Wednesday). I'll check in on you guys when I get back. Zuti

Heritage Softtail Classic - KTM 450 EXC
zuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #527
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Paul....it's closing in on 75 degrees out there.

Get out and ride my man!!!

IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #528
psolk
TMAX Noob

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjeff View Post
Paul....it's closing in on 75 degrees out there.

Get out and ride my man!!!

Funny thing is I was on the fence until I saw your post then I said if I can get my boots on I will go around the block... 1 1/2 hours later and I just rolled in Those first couple of steps after riding for 90 minutes were pretty funny as the leg came back to life but again
Thanks for pushing me along!!!

LMAO... Came home, sat here for about an hour and around 6:30 decided to go for one more "quick" ride... Got home about 8:15... Might need some "pain killers" tonight but SO SO SO worth it! Harry(my hip) and Cecelia or CC my bike got along stellar!
HyperPro Lowered Suspension, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID Hi/Lo lights,Carbon Front Fender, Carbon LED mirrors, cut rear tail, DD Aluminum brake lever, Frame Sliders, Puig Chin Fairing, Rear Hugger, Kaoko Throttle Lock, MFW adjustable footpegs, Custom Painted Wheels/Rotors/Brakes Valentine One Radar, voltmeter, Tach, removed evap can, and lots o decals
2009 T-Max (deceased)

psolk screwed with this post 03-18-2011 at 07:30 PM
psolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #529
zuti
One Hip Wonder

This old hip-replacement dog is going tomorrow to try out a KTM EXC 450 to dual-sport my way back into the dirt! Wish me luck and I'll let you know if we close a dea! Zuti

Old 03-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #530
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 490
Isn't it great on that first ride after being laid up?

I kind of didn't hold to my promise I made to my doc... staying off dirt bikes for six months (made it 2 months, 3 weeks). Just couldn't help myself! I did ride really, really easy, rode my trail bike instead of my race bike and stayed on ATV trails. The Arkansas Dirt Riders MC were out in force laying out trail for the upcoming Trainrobbers National Enduro. Gosh that single-track looked tempting but I did resist. No pain what-so-ever and I did ride with my hip pads in place.
Attached Images

Wookazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #531
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN
ZEPHYR

Oddometer: 56
Thumb NICE wook WOOK!

I am not so sure the hip pads will do anything for ya on a get off. It's the articulation of the hip and weak muscle that might cause a hip dislocation. Be careful.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #532
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Quote:
Isn't it great on that first ride after being laid up?

I kind of didn't hold to my promise I made to my doc... staying off dirt bikes for six months (made it 2 months, 3 weeks). Just couldn't help myself! I did ride really, really easy, rode my trail bike instead of my race bike and stayed on ATV trails. The Arkansas Dirt Riders MC were out in force laying out trail for the upcoming Trainrobbers National Enduro. Gosh that single-track looked tempting but I did resist. No pain what-so-ever and I did ride with my hip pads in place.
Wook - Great PIC! I am soooooo jealous! I'm this close to a KTM450. A couple more weeks and I think I'll have the loot! Take care and enjoy! Zuti

Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #533
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Zuti, got a buddy that has a 450 that rides with us and even has a IRC DOT approved trials tire on the rear. That has to be the utmost perfect do-all bike. He was hitting 70 with us on the highways, yet can tackle the toughest terrain on it. If I was going to have just one bike, that would be way up on my list. Good luck!

And I agree about the hip pads to a point... but it's like when I fractured my tibia plateau a few years back (broke just below my left knee)... I asked the doc about a knee brace and was actually hinting that he prescribe me one so I could claim it on my insurance. He said it really wouldn't do much other than maybe give me some confidence. The more padding I have on, the better I feel. My current surgeon actually said he was more concerned with me hanging my leg in a vine and twisting it causing the joint to dislocate. The picture was really more of a photo op on the side of a forest road. I rode with my wife on her 100 and did only gravel roads and mostly level groomed ATV trails. I've ridden my KLR650 on worse than I rode my XR... but just getting to wear my riding gear and ride a real dirt bike was a treat!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #534
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Quote:
Zuti, got a buddy that has a 450 that rides with us and even has a IRC DOT approved trials tire on the rear. That has to be the utmost perfect do-all bike. He was hitting 70 with us on the highways, yet can tackle the toughest terrain on it. If I was going to have just one bike, that would be way up on my list. Good luck!

Wook - When I rode it last weekend, I couldn't believe the smooth power delivery. It's been so long for me that all I remember are the pipey 2 strokes of the late 70s and early 80s. It was just smooth even power from down low all the way up. It was awesome and a great deal. Just a couple more E-bay sales away I hope!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #535
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Well, my hip challenged friends, this old dog did it! After 25 years without a dirtbike, I just bought a KTM 450 EXC. Out of town this week for work, but will pick it up next week! Can't wait to post a pic like the one Wook posted a week or so back! Zuti

zuti screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 10:55 PM
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #536
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

That's great Zuti! I rode a buddy of mine's a few times. At first I was a little apprehensive about the power thinking it was going to be difficult to ride in the tight woods we have around here but after a little while in the saddle, I grew accustom to it. It delivers about the smoothest power of any 450 I've ridden, yet will get up and go when needed. KTMs are great bikes - very reliable and easy to work on as well. Post your thoughts on it after you get a chance to ride it.

And on the hip stuff... took a work crew up to New Berlin, New York this past weekend to do some repairs on some of our conveyor there. Being the boss, I end up being the gopher (go-fer) so there was a lot of lifting, carrying heavy boxes of chain/sprockets going up stairs, etc. Never, never had any issues with my hips! I even tried to pick up a way-to-heavy box, which caused my thigh to cramp and made me slip and fall. Just got back yesterday late and feel 100%! I do feel sorry for you folks that live up north like that... still having snow and ice there while we have 80 degree weather down here in Arkansas!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #537
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Quote:
That's great Zuti! I rode a buddy of mine's a few times. At first I was a little apprehensive about the power thinking it was going to be difficult to ride in the tight woods we have around here but after a little while in the saddle, I grew accustom to it. It delivers about the smoothest power of any 450 I've ridden, yet will get up and go when needed. KTMs are great bikes - very reliable and easy to work on as well. Post your thoughts on it after you get a chance to ride it.

And on the hip stuff... took a work crew up to New Berlin, New York this past weekend to do some repairs on some of our conveyor there. Being the boss, I end up being the gopher (go-fer) so there was a lot of lifting, carrying heavy boxes of chain/sprockets going up stairs, etc. Never, never had any issues with my hips! I even tried to pick up a way-to-heavy box, which caused my thigh to cramp and made me slip and fall. Just got back yesterday late and feel 100%! I do feel sorry for you folks that live up north like that... still having snow and ice there while we have 80 degree weather down here in Arkansas!
I felt the same at first, but after the test ride, I was sold!
Great news on the hip. Once you get past the aprehensivness (sp) and just don't think about it, you don't even know you have a fake hip. You just become normal again.
Yes, the weather was sucking for a while here, but it was upper 70s on Sunday and 60s and 70s the rest of the week.
Should be picking it up next week. I'll provide a first ride report. Zuti

Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #538
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Had to search to dig this thread up but... June 26th was six months post surgery from my second hip resurfacing. That was the day that I had promised my surgeon that I would not ride my dirt bike before, well, did ride my XR with my wife once in April, but stayed primarily on gravel roads and easy ATV trails.

Yesterday some friends of mine including my son met me at our local riding area, an 85 acre tract of woods in our city's municipal park. I have to admit being a little on the apprehensive side not just worrying about the crash that will eventually come, but also hanging either of my legs in vines and twisting them (here in NE Arkansas, we do have quite a few of those). I told everyone to take off that I didn't want to hold them back, but my son refused saying he was going to stay with me even though he's an A level rider. I was poking along pretty slow being meticulous about every log crossing and rut I encountered. By the end of our ride, which was probably close to two hours, I caught myself brake sliding into turns and wheelying over roots and ruts. When I would realize what I was doing, I'd slow back down. After all, I've got plenty of time to re-learn.

I did come to the conclusion that this was the best I have felt on a bike in many, many years. I had no pain what-so-ever and could even slide up on the tank of my CRF to stick it into the corners. Going from seated to standing was effortless. I say that because there was a time not so long ago that I couldn't do that, at least without a great deal of pain.

I've ridden motorcycles pretty much all my life and the fact that I can get out there and blast through the woods again after thinking I may have to hang it up just puts the biggest smile on my face. If you read back through this lengthy thread, you'll see many stories like this. I used to think hip replacement spelled the end of any kind of fun activities and I would be spending my recreational time playing shuffle board. That's not the case anymore.

Thanks to all that have posted on here about your experiences. That is what made me decide to go for it and I don't regret it one bit.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #539
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Had to search to dig this thread up but... June 26th was six months post surgery from my second hip resurfacing. That was the day that I had promised my surgeon that I would not ride my dirt bike before, well, did ride my XR with my wife once in April, but stayed primarily on gravel roads and easy ATV trails.

Yesterday some friends of mine including my son met me at our local riding area, an 85 acre tract of woods in our city's municipal park. I have to admit being a little on the apprehensive side not just worrying about the crash that will eventually come, but also hanging either of my legs in vines and twisting them (here in NE Arkansas, we do have quite a few of those). I told everyone to take off that I didn't want to hold them back, but my son refused saying he was going to stay with me even though he's an A level rider. I was poking along pretty slow being meticulous about every log crossing and rut I encountered. By the end of our ride, which was probably close to two hours, I caught myself brake sliding into turns and wheelying over roots and ruts. When I would realize what I was doing, I'd slow back down. After all, I've got plenty of time to re-learn.

I did come to the conclusion that this was the best I have felt on a bike in many, many years. I had no pain what-so-ever and could even slide up on the tank of my CRF to stick it into the corners. Going from seated to standing was effortless. I say that because there was a time not so long ago that I couldn't do that, at least without a great deal of pain.

I've ridden motorcycles pretty much all my life and the fact that I can get out there and blast through the woods again after thinking I may have to hang it up just puts the biggest smile on my face. If you read back through this lengthy thread, you'll see many stories like this. I used to think hip replacement spelled the end of any kind of fun activities and I would be spending my recreational time playing shuffle board. That's not the case anymore.

Thanks to all that have posted on here about your experiences. That is what made me decide to go for it and I don't regret it one bit.
I had my second resurface in June of 2009 and in November, I went out to the hockey rink to strap on the pads and take some light shots to see how it felt. As luck would have it, the goalie who was scheduled to play got hung up in traffic so they asked if I could stick around for "5 or 10 minutes" until he got there. I agreed and told them that I would basically just be standing there as a warm body and not to expect much in the way of participation. By the time he showed up an hour later, I had been playing pretty much full out, making butterfly saves, sliding post to post and even took a couple of pretty good collisions. Within the first 10 minutes I had said to myself "gee, it's been a long time since I have been able to do that" about 10 times. Like you, I felt the best I had in years and the confidence in the new hips increased exponentially at a quick pace. I am now playing 2-3 times per week and last week my team played in the league championship game.

Like you said, it's the best decision I made and I have absolutely no regrets or complaints at all.

Oh yeah, and I get out biking as much as I can.

IBA #23204
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #540
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Great to hear from you guys! Here's a pic of my 1st time getting air on the big 450! Haven't gotten to ride as much as I'd like, work and other committments, but it is great being back in the saddle! No hip issues, even after a few crashes! Zuti