User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #541
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 967
Thrx2

Going to have to park the bike before 8/30/11.
Bilateral total replacement, anterior surgery.
Stryker ceramic on ceramic is my hip of choice
Was going to go resurfacing, but the doc says they are having problems with some of the metal on metal hips.
Any new thoughts on hips...brands, materials etc?
Physical therapist says I'll be amazed at the fast recovery from the anterior approach.
Wish me luck!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #542
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Any idea what the specific concern was with MOM? Did the Doctor elaborate at all? Are you going large ball diameter to match your current anatomy or smaller diameter? Larger and resurfacing usually run hand in hand but larger head usually is probably an option for THR.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #543
OhBoy
Got Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
Any idea what the specific concern was with MOM? Did the Doctor elaborate at all? Are you going large ball diameter to match your current anatomy or smaller diameter? Larger and resurfacing usually run hand in hand but larger head usually is probably an option for THR.
AFAIK
Both Dupuy and Stryder had recalls on MOMs. I think he said it could be the specific alloy a manufacturer uses and that some people just react badly to the metals. It could also be that my age, 59 they recommend replacement over resurfacing.

The acetabular head of ceramic fits into a metal shell as large as its metal counterpart but the ceramic shell insert takes up some room. the ceramic femoral head fits into it
If a revision is needed, (due to wear) it is a parts job.

edit
Problems with MoM hips get Federal scrutiny
http://www.newsjunkyjournal.com/meta...utiny/2513378/

OhBoy screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 06:35 PM Reason: link
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #544
MNGeezer
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru View Post
We do over 2500 orthopedic surgeries a year at the facility where I work. Many of our patients get well over 10 years out of a hip. Especially the healthy, active ones. You're probably not going to be bashing your new hip like you did the original, but you should be able to go back to 90% of what you were doing before. As far as replacing it once and then you're done? I'd have to call bullshit on that one. Some of our patients are on their third hip. It isn't pretty replacing it for the second time. But a good surgeon can do it.

For what it's worth, the new hip and knee technologies are light years ahead of where they were just 5-6 years ago. Poly free, metal on metal, ingrowing components, kewl stuff.
Any chance you'd send me some suggestions on hip products to research?

Thomas Day
Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly Magazine
http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/
http://geezerwithagrudge.blogspot.com/
thomas@motorbyte.com
MNGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #545
OhBoy
Got Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGeezer View Post
Any chance you'd send me some suggestions on hip products to research?

Thomas Day
thomas@motorbyte.com
That post you quoted is from 11/5/07

You might not get a reply anytime soon.

OhBoy screwed with this post 08-13-2011 at 07:36 AM Reason: date
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #546
MNGeezer
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I don't know how I got lucky enough to stumble on to this thread, but you guys are incredibly encouraging (to the core of that word). I have arthritis in both hips and my left hip hurts badly enough that it has cut into my lifestyle pretty seriously. I'm 63 and have been active my whole life, but I'm down to street riding and work these days. My left hip, in particular, is painful all the time. Not only are my hips arthritic, but they weren't particularly well designed in the first place. Years ago, a sports medicine doctor informed me that "You're hips are deformed. You know that, right?" I didn't.

Before reading your comments here, I'd assumed I was done backpacking forever, on the way to being unable to walk my dog, through with any of the exciting aspects of off-road motorcycling (no air for Tom), and heading for a life close to sedentary. I spent 10 years in medical devices (pacemakers and ICDs) and that made me pretty cynical about the medical profession in general. Maybe I'll take another look at my options.

Thank you,

Thomas Day
thomas@motorbyte.com
MNGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #547
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
I am down here on the East Cape of Baja, surfing with the family. This wouldn't have been possible before the replacement I had 4 years ago. I am heading up to Idaho for some dual sport riding with my son next week.....again, I don't think that I would be doing any of this without the replacement. As far as which type of hip to get, read as much as you can on the subject and take it all with a grain of salt. The best thing you can do is get the best doctor that you can and work with them . I work in the medical field and there is a difference between doctors. Talk to physical therapists, they usually know who to avoid and who to seek out. Don't freak out on metal to metal. These where the first materials used for hips and a few have been around for decades without problems. My 2 cents...
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #548
RunningBare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
Had a big problem here with cobalt,chromium and titanium implants made by Johnston & Johnston De Puy. metal was leeching out of the replacement and poisoning the patient with horrific consequenses. I don't think these are being used anymore but I would check, probably better to go with ceramic.
RunningBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #549
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Oddometer: 97
I'm on my 14th year on my hip. Not a single issue. Working out with weights, spin classes, eliptical, biking, etc. has kept me in decent shape for a guy turning 60. I don't run anymore, but just purchased a KTM 450 EXC after a 30 year lay off from dirt bikes and have had no issues yet. Bailed off a couple of times with no problem. My biggest issue is getting my leg over these tall-ass new dit bikes! Modern hip replacement is great (and as I've said, mine is 14 years old). I barely notice the hip (it's the knees that are getting to me now :) ) Keep on riding! Zuti

Heritage Softtail Classic - KTM 450 EXC
zuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #550
OhBoy
Got Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuti View Post
I'm on my 14th year on my hip. Not a single issue. ......... Keep on riding! Zuti
Hope to still be riding in 14 years.
I'm off the dirt for now, doc doesnt want me showing up for surgery with bruises, casts or open wounds.
I wonder why

Why the handguards angled up so much?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #551
zuti
One Hip Wonder

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Why the handguards angled up so much?
I hit a few branches. It was a muddy sloppy day.

PS - Mine hip is a Stryker titanium and procelin, that allows bone growth to the prosthesis. I was young enough at the time with good bone growth to allow that type of implant and also had very strong quads from running. Surgery was on a Tuesday afternoon, walking stairs with the therapist on Wednesday, went home on Thursday. It's a great surgery. (The elevated toilet seat sucks during the recovery period, but that's only temporary). Good Luck - Zuti

Heritage Softtail Classic - KTM 450 EXC

zuti screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 09:45 AM
zuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #552
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 465
My surgeon gave me the usual one out of so many have issues with metal-on-metal hips, but I was dead set on the BHR after doing lengthy research online. I'm 16 months out on my first, 8 months out on my second surgery and amazed daily at the mobility I've gained. I had gotten to where I wasn't able to even bend over to pick something up off of the floor without crouching down onto a knee to do it... I had lost that much movement from my hips. You loose mobility so gradually that you don't realize it. The only issue I had was a squeak once... read where that could be caused by dehydration, so tanked up on water and it went away.

The recovery from the surgery is incredible. I was riding my KLR in six weeks and would be riding my real dirt bikes if it wasn't for this incredible southern heat we're experiencing!
Wookazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #553
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
My GF had both hips replaced about 2.5 years ago, not long before I met her.

She basically went from not being able to walk, to getting back into the gym and her pilates.

And, riding about 10,000 miles in the past year and half all over the country on the back of the Lemans...

Putting off the surgery is wasting time.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #554
OhBoy
Got Out

Ouch

Ouch, did the deed on Tuesday and spent last night in my own bed. I never want to be in a hospital again, never ever!
Some of the staff were fun to joke with.
Ouch
Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #555
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
Wow, this thread literally changed my life. I was scheduled to have a hip replacement this year after developing sever asvascular necrosis following a motorcycle accident in Septemeber, 2010. I thought I would not be able to safely ride a two wheeled motorcycle for some time (year?) after that so I ordered a brand new three wheeled motorcycle. I found this thread about 2 weeks before my scheduled surgery (July 14) and after a little more research i cancelled the trike. Surgery went fine, after 3 weeks of good rehab I went for my first ride and now 7 weeks after surgeryIi feel better than I did when I first recovered from the accident. I am riding every day and I will return to work (light duties) in about a week or so.

So, if I had not found this thread I would be one of those fat old guys riding a trike. But I am not that. (I am a fat old guy riding two wheels ) Awesome thread!! Thanks!