Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #121
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big
Is it possible to ride sport bikes after having this done? Is the tight bend at the knees and hips too extreme?

Thanks,
Jason

Once I passed the 90-day mark, all restrictions on leg angle were removed. I still don't have any desire to ride any extreme sport bikes, though. My days of folding myself up on a small bike are way behind me. Should that ever change, however, I would have no problems at all.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #122
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjeff
Well, had mine done Monday morning and was back home Tuesday afternoon. I am not sure about the restrictions yet with a resurface as I have two buddies who play on the hockey team regularily with me and that can put you into some pretty precarious positions. I plan on going over all that with the doctor at my follow up on the 17th.

Congratulations! My best advice is to follow whatever your surgeon calls for on the rehab and time schedule. It seems sometimes like a giant PIA to not be able to do what you want, but being dilligent now will pay big dividends later.
I was able to lift tractor tires that weigh in excess of 500 pounds at about the 5-month point, and my best since then is just over 700 pounds. Feels really good to be strong and pain-free!

Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #123
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
Congratulations! My best advice is to follow whatever your surgeon calls for on the rehab and time schedule. It seems sometimes like a giant PIA to not be able to do what you want, but being dilligent now will pay big dividends later.
I was able to lift tractor tires that weigh in excess of 500 pounds at about the 5-month point, and my best since then is just over 700 pounds. Feels really good to be strong and pain-free!
You got that right. No real pain at this point. More just weakness. Gotta navigate the stairs everytime I have to take a leak or anything like that. Counted 35 staples. For this week it has been watch TV and watch TV. Some friends came over to keep me complany which was nice. I have the second one done is June so it will be Oct/Nov before I am really back for good.
calgaryjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #124
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
You got that right. No real pain at this point. More just weakness. Gotta navigate the stairs everytime I have to take a leak or anything like that. Counted 35 staples. For this week it has been watch TV and watch TV. Some friends came over to keep me complany which was nice. I have the second one done is June so it will be Oct/Nov before I am really back for good.

It'll go by fast. I can't believe that it's been 9 months already since I had mine done.
Good luck on the 2nd one, too.

Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #125
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It'll go by fast. I can't believe that it's been 9 months already since I had mine done.
Good luck on the 2nd one, too.
Thanks, Dude
Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #126
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

There go my modelling days.......

Name:  butt1.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  7.5 KB

Old 03-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #127
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,963
Hip replacement

I to have had a total hip replacement 3 months ago.
I am now enjoying way less pain than before. I had
recounstruction surgery 3 tears ago due to a nonattentive
atv rider who hit me. Collapse of the joint and here I am,
with a steel on steel replacement. Doc says I should see
25+ years with an active, read riding motos offroad, lifestyle.
I think the steel on steel just came about in the last year
or so because when I had the original surgery the same doc
only talked about a plastic mating surface and a 10-15 year
life. Time will tell.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #128
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
There go my modelling days.......

Attachment 201652

Hey, I've got one just like that!! Mine has been opened three different times: the first was in 1988 when my leg was broken and a steel rod was inserted into my femur. The second time was in 2007 to remove the rod, and the third, and hopefully last time was in May to resurface the hip. The Doctors at UC Davis were nice enough this time to bring in a plastic surgeon to clean up the scar tissue, so now it's nice and flush.
Just remember: chicks dig scars!

Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #129
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey, I've got one just like that!! Mine has been opened three different times: the first was in 1988 when my leg was broken and a steel rod was inserted into my femur. The second time was in 2007 to remove the rod, and the third, and hopefully last time was in May to resurface the hip. The Doctors at UC Davis were nice enough this time to bring in a plastic surgeon to clean up the scar tissue, so now it's nice and flush.
Just remember: chicks dig scars!
They should have put in velcro.
IBA #23204
Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #130
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
They should have put in velcro.

Or at least a good YKK zipper.

Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #131
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,435
Doctor Big,

I ride an R6 track bike and am a reasonably quick 'A' group rider with my hip replcement. I'll never be the fastest guy at a track day, and I'll likely never race a sport bike but I can go plenty fast to drag a knee or scare the shit out of myself and that's all I really need! Crashing, of course, is a slightly more risky behavior.

Here's a picture of me and Adv'er Trick17. He hasn't had a hip replacement but he has broken and had fused his back AND his neck!

And I too have that hip scar. Mine has been opened twice and this is the design of the tattoo I had put under the scar. Don't tell Bill Watterson, I don't need the copyright infringement suit.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #132
stroming it softly
twins forever

Oddometer: 173
So, I was out in the garage yesterday working on my Honda 160 and that damn Tuono just sat there staring at me. I had sat on it a couple of times since my surgery and it felt good so I rolled it out in the sunshine and sat up on it with both feet down, hmmm, no problem here. Next thing I know there was atgatt all over me, the key turned, fire in the holes, snick into gear and away it went. Just a short ride around the hood but what an attitude enrichener! Now, if I can just find a short collapsable cane to fit on the back.....
Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #133
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroming it softly
So, I was out in the garage yesterday working on my Honda 160 and that damn Tuono just sat there staring at me. I had sat on it a couple of times since my surgery and it felt good so I rolled it out in the sunshine and sat up on it with both feet down, hmmm, no problem here. Next thing I know there was atgatt all over me, the key turned, fire in the holes, snick into gear and away it went. Just a short ride around the hood but what an attitude enrichener! Now, if I can just find a short collapsable cane to fit on the back.....

Felt pretty damned good, dinnit?!

Go to an outdoor store and buy a collapsible aluminum hiking pole. Works like a charm.

Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #134
calgaryjeff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Felt pretty damned good, dinnit?!

Go to an outdoor store and buy a collapsible aluminum hiking pole. Works like a charm.
Just use a regular cane. Get a rifle scabbard from an ATV or horse shop. Just like in Terminator 2.....I'll be back!!!!
IBA #23204
Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #135
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroming it softly
I use an older version of this cane/walking stick. Very nice.

http://www.leki.com/trekking/trekkingPole.php?pID=25