User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
hollywood996 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Latest on Pakistan

Finally sorted out the Iran portion of the RTW trip and now Turkey (US Congress condemnation of Aremenian genocide; PKK insurgents and Turkish rmy forays into Iraq) and Pakistan (171 dead on Bhutto's return; Musharref declaration of state of emergency) seem to be conspiring to force a very large detour.

Does anyone know of anyone currently riding through the region with on the ground intell, particularly in Pakistan? CNN, helpful as it is, loves to ride on the alarmist side.

Thx

Robb

www.hollywood2hollywood.com
hollywood996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

Oddometer: 681
Nice website

Can't help you with the info you're looking for, but will gladly give you and Wendy a for the trip you're about to undertake.

Good luck on your 'round-the-world trip.

"They've got roads there that make Deal's Gap look like a runway." —Buelligan1203 on Japan
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
We're all wishing you all the best on your RTW trip of a lifetime..

Get some Canadian flag stickers for your bike, if you're going through Pakistan.. all it takes is one nut who really hates the US govt to take out his hatred on you.. I'd stay out of Pakistan completely. Riding through Iran, if they let you in, will be fabulous!

Inmate Akira rode from Japan to Europe and spent quite some time in Pakistan recently, but events have quickly changed on the ground. Given the latest move by Musharraf, civil unrest is ripe.. it's a powderkeg that could blow at any time..

I'm moving this one to Regional Forums: Asia in case someone there can give you a feel of what's going on. Or maybe it should go to Outer Darkness but those threads tend to be South America related. ATGreg can decide what to do with it.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
bombarde
DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood996
CNN, helpful as it is, loves to ride on the alarmist side.
The BBC is usually much more informative about everything.
bombarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Bound to be at least one from Horizions Unlimited there at the moment ..

Ask on the 'hubb' http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

Second the BBC stuff .. you should take a Short Wave Radio .. so you can listen in on what is happening .. in your own language

Try http://news.bbc.co.uk/
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,666
I saw the newspaper today and the front page is filled with reports of pakistan being under the military rule. Keep an eye open for deteriorating situations. The country is in crisis as the current ruler is facing an immense challenge from the public and he is unwilling to step down.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 AM   #7
Akira
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
In can be deceptively quiet once you're in

My experience was that I was there at the time of the Red Mosque siege and follow-up reprisal violence. I stayed at a hotel a short distance from the red mosque until a day or two before the final invasion and my recollections are ... "What siege?". There can be these amazing pieces of troubles going on, and you wont feel unless you're right there at those exact spots.

You won't be able to enter a zone where there is trouble. You will be turned back (which can be a bloody disaster depending on your conditions, e.g. you mightn't have petrol, but they'll make you do it).

If trouble comes to the area you're already in, the cops will grab you as you pass a checkpoint and force you to someplace they figure you can't be harmed. Very inconvenient for you, but they will pull strings to get you moved places. Don't volunteer to pay for any of that, mind! Offering to pay a fair price is like volunteering to overpay or pay tips to everyone else they get involved, such as the hotel they stick you in, or to each truck or bus driver on the way.

So many places are safe, and quiet. The Kakakoram highway (from Besham northwards, say) is isolated from that sort of politics pretty well. Islamabad is quiet (deadly boring, to be more accurate). Get the train from Rawalpindi all the way through to Iranian border is a recommendation of mine. I just hate the sort of traffic you get on the lowlands, and in Balochistan I suffered an ugly roadblock once. I don't know if the trainline from Quetta to the border has been fixed yet though (floods damaged it in July). I had to get trucking for that bit (my bike was broken at the time).

Cheers,

Akira
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
hollywood996 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Good Info Akira

Hi Akira-san..

hope all is well with you. You advice is much valued, as usual. We head to Manila on Tuesday where I will close out my current project. Head to Singapore on 19 Dec, bike arrived on 26th and off we go.

Sure to ping you from time to time as situations arise.

Cheers,

Robb
hollywood996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
I saw the newspaper today and the front page is filled with reports of pakistan being under the military rule.
I've been in places 'under military rule'... in fact I rode after dark when there was a restriction on that .. I did not know .. but they did not fire at me .. perhaps the foregin rego plate helped? Anyway .. provided you are just being a normal tourist .. it anit usually a problem.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
I agree, you should be fine there. You have no dog in that fight. Just stay in touch with the Horizons unlimited guys who are there right before you. And as mentioned, if it's really bad, just take a train (shame to miss it though).
Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,666
Where have you reached now ?