User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
07jkx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
2012 Yamaha XT250 Top end rattle/knock

Good Morning (Afternoon, evening or night)... I just picked up a 2012 XT250 with 3500 miles on it. Restored to factory and did the fuel mixture screw adjustment.

I have searched and searched and found a few threads concerning a top end rattle/knock and for the most part it seems that this is just part of the xt250 quirks.

1. Bike starts quickly and easily and idles very quiet and smooth (valves are properly adjusted)

2. Revs smoothly in neutral

3. Shifts smoothly

4. When in any gear and under load/acceleration in the middle to upper RPM range I get this rattle/knock sounds in the motor.

Can anyone verify that their xt250 does this as well? Some say to run higher grade fuel, other say switch to a synthetic oil. Others say it is the "balancer" that makes that racket.

Then of course, there are the one saying a bad bearing.

Any guidance and experiences would be appreciated
07jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Bad Gas?

My 2008 does not knock under any condition. I use non ethanol regular fuel. I suggest draining the fuel out of it through the drain tube on the carb and putting in fresh fuel, non ethanol if available. Cheap and easy thing to do.
George
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
07jkx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE K View Post
My 2008 does not knock under any condition. I use non ethanol regular fuel. I suggest draining the fuel out of it through the drain tube on the carb and putting in fresh fuel, non ethanol if available. Cheap and easy thing to do.
George
Thanks George:

I just filled up with 87 octane Ethanol free... unfortunately it had about a gallon of whatever was left in it. The manual says okay for 10% e but use 91 octane and up. To start, I will drain out the whole tank and throw that in my Jeep and refill with pure 87 efree. Then go to 91 or 93 if necessary.

Jarrod
Old 04-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
prstone50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
My 250 Kawasaki sherpa was doing the same thing on a trip. As I worried about the little motor I said what the Hell, stop being a cheap skate and put 91 high octane in it. Well, the rattle went away...I suppose some minor preignition ? Considering 60mpg I just keep putting the higher octane in it. Good luck and I love those xt 250s !
prstone50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
07jkx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I truly hope that fixes it brother! This thing was in rough shape cosmetically, but I got it for such a steal I didnt mind fixing it up. Hell... I could to a full motor rebuild and still turn a profit on it. Of course, I would prefer not too. lol

Top end looks good with no abnormal wear so I know it was never starved for oil.

Hopefully its just a fuel change fix.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
07jkx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not the fuel... Oh well.. Going to take off the clutch cover and look for any signs of wear, metal, etc. time for an oil change anyways. If al looks good there, I just plan to ride it till it goes boom. Fix it then.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
ZJeepMI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
My xt225 and tw200 made the same noise that you're descibing, never got worse on either of them. Sold the TW at 7k miles and the XT at 4k miles so didnt run them too long. My DR350 makes a similar noise but much less pronounced. Possibly just a small thumper thing, I wouldn't worry. I've always been picky about engine noises in cars and bikes and it took me a while to realize that singles just sound terrible.

ZJeepMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,843
My tw200 did it and so does my xt200.
Premium seemed to help some, but my xt200 sounds like its going to explode at any time.
I put 800 miles on it last year without issues.
When I got it for $500.00 it had a broken gear in the kick start, no air filter and a ring gap you could drive a truck through.
I honed things and put new rings, a pod air filter and the gear in it and abuse it in the dirt.
Put 20W50 and premium gas in it and if it should blow up, fix it.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #9
07jkx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. Good to hear similar experiences. Yeah, after I oulled the clutch cover and basket and looked, turned prodded everything I there, I just don't see what could cause it. That being the case, I am just gonna ride it till it goes boom. Lol

The premium didn't help noticeably so I am going back to my regular ethanol free stuff since the noise is not pinging or detonation.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
foo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
2007 XT250 with 42k kms on the clock and no rattle. I've always used the cheapest fuel I can find.
foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
07jkx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks foo.... thats the problem hunting this down. It seems there are tons of threads where folks say theirs has always done it and others that say never.

I figure... no metal in oil, no felt loss of power and no oil consumption... i'm just gonna ride it. If something blows up, then I will update the internet if I can determine a relevant cause.

Love the little 250 though. What a blast to toss around in the woods!