Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #121
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Any video for the sound would be interesting to share.

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #122
Grunt
Standup Philosopher

Oddometer: 2,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
Please tell them to make it quiet as possible. I'd like to get rid of the stock water heater sized can and cat heat maker...but don't want to make a bunch of noise.

Wish FMF would make a Q for it!
Oni,

I just bought a used X-Challenge from a guy in New York State (Yeah, I'm a thumper newbee) and rode it back to my home in Ft Lauderdale. The bike has a FMF Q2 (I think) on it. It runs great and has lots of power. It is pretty loud though. I really don't know anything about FMF exhausts. The website says they are in the mid-90 db range but I don't have any way to really measure this.

One thing I do like about it is that it is much smaller than the stock can and sits lower on the bike. So it stays out of the way of whatever I have on the luggage rack. This was a nice feature that I appreciated during my road trip to Florida.

Is there supposed to be a insertable baffle for the can or is it used as is?

I'd like to quiet it down a little so if anyone has any recommendations I am all ears.

Grunt

"Luck, fate, karma, ee-ching, shit happens. Whatever comes along, we've gotta roll with it."
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #123
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Hey Grunt

First...thank you for your service to the Country!!!

FMF Q mufflers are rebuildable. They have packing inside that must occasionally be changed out. From what I have seen and heard, the FMF Q's are usually about the quietest aftermarket mufflers around. Are you sure yours is a Q and not a Power Core muffler?

FMF makes quiet tips and spark arrestors for the Power Core mufflers that should bring the racket down a bit if that is what you have.

If it is a Q, it made need a packing change and hopefully that should bring the db level down.

Have fun with the bike! You may want to check out an Emig steering damper for all that Florida sand. www.emigracing.com
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #124
Grunt
Standup Philosopher

Oddometer: 2,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
Hey Grunt

First...thank you for your service to the Country!!!

FMF Q mufflers are rebuildable. They have packing inside that must occasionally be changed out. From what I have seen and heard, the FMF Q's are usually about the quietest aftermarket mufflers around. Are you sure yours is a Q and not a Power Core muffler?

FMF makes quiet tips and spark arrestors for the Power Core mufflers that should bring the racket down a bit if that is what you have.

If it is a Q, it made need a packing change and hopefully that should bring the db level down.

Have fun with the bike! You may want to check out an Emig steering damper for all that Florida sand. www.emigracing.com
Oni,

Thanks for the info. According to the pics I've seen in on-line parts catalogs it is a FMF Q2. I guess I'll see about getting it repacked. The previous owner put some thermal wrap around the exhaust pipe just forward of the can to minimize the heat in that area. It looks kind of cheesy but it works. I've got a couple of ideas for re-doing it with a heat shield. That project will have to wait until I'm home next time.

I bought the bike on-line and picked it up when I was on R&R recently. Now I'm back in Baghdad so I won't be doing any riding for a while.

I wish like hell I could have a bike here. The large amount of open country and the history in this place are amazing. This would be the perfect place for the X-Challenge. Oh well, maybe someday.

Grunt
(Infidel At Large)

"Luck, fate, karma, ee-ching, shit happens. Whatever comes along, we've gotta roll with it."
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #125
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If the Akrapovic is quiet and reasonably priced, I'd get it just to get rid of the weight and heat generated by the cat. But the price that I got from my dealer for the BMW supplied Akrapovic slip on only was around US$1400

Did I miss a review of the new Staintune slip on? How's the sound on it? Still looking for a quiet slip on.
Spotted this Akrapovic listing it for $953 and I'd be tempted if it was for the complete system.

http://www.motostrano.com/akraexsyforb.html

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #126
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
$1000 for a slip on.. I'm sure it doesn't include the header pipe. If you buy it, let us know how it sounds and your impressions.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:37 AM   #127
moigc
n00b

Oddometer: 3
here my exhaust
Attached Images

moigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #128
moigc
n00b

and another foto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uJ-YcqVuns
video is not very good
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 AM   #129
MOLAHS
Sisyphus

Oddometer: 1,650
Staintune slip on muffler $640 aud + freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
$1000 for a slip on.. I'm sure it doesn't include the header pipe. If you buy it, let us know how it sounds and your impressions.
The AUD is currently US $0.72 so go figure !!
MOLAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #130
mcftw
hxc n33b

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by moigc
here my exhaust
Tell us more.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #131
moigc
n00b

Sorry man I am on Greece. I don’t speak very good English.
The guy who make this exhaust is on Thessaloniki Greece and the telephone number is 2310528477
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #132
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
I just tried to install a tail tidy on my Xmoto after installing a Remus full exhaust system. The tail tidy works, but the turn indicators do not fit. Neither the stock ones, nor the ones that come with the kit, will fit without hitting the exhaust pipe. So it's back to the stock tail piece. DAMMIT!

BTW.....I swapped the stock air filter for the Atlanta BMW foam unit, and I left the lid off the airbox. First ride will be tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #133
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,430
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray R
I just tried to install a tail tidy on my Xmoto after installing a Remus full exhaust system. The tail tidy works, but the turn indicators do not fit. Neither the stock ones, nor the ones that come with the kit, will fit without hitting the exhaust pipe. So it's back to the stock tail piece. DAMMIT!

BTW.....I swapped the stock air filter for the Atlanta BMW foam unit, and I left the lid off the airbox. First ride will be tomorrow.
I have the tail tidy, with the stock blinkers. They touch but won't melt. Almost 7000 miles with no issues.

Air filter also installed, that was a plus!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #134
Ray R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp
I have the tail tidy, with the stock blinkers. They touch but won't melt. Almost 7000 miles with no issues.

Air filter also installed, that was a plus!
Do you have the Remus Free Ride Street version? I looked at the standard version vs the street version today. The standard looks to be a bit shorter, so the turn indicators will work ok. I have the longer street version, and there's no way the stock turn indicators will work with the R&G tail tidy.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #135
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,430
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray R
Do you have the Remus Free Ride Street version? I looked at the standard version vs the street version today. The standard looks to be a bit shorter, so the turn indicators will work ok. I have the longer street version, and there's no way the stock turn indicators will work with the R&G tail tidy.
Ooops.

I have the stock exhaust. Sorry can't be of much help now can I.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote