ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #121
lewiss66
Gnarly Adventurer
 
lewiss66's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: French Alpes
Oddometer: 362
Any video for the sound would be interesting to share.
__________________
http://g650forum.forumactif.org/
http://buyvintage1.files.wordpress.c...porteur_01.jpg

G650 Xcountry 2007 / Beta evo 4T 2011
lewiss66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #122
Grunt
Standup Philosopher
 
Grunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Oddometer: 2,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
Please tell them to make it quiet as possible. I'd like to get rid of the stock water heater sized can and cat heat maker...but don't want to make a bunch of noise.

Wish FMF would make a Q for it!
Oni,

I just bought a used X-Challenge from a guy in New York State (Yeah, I'm a thumper newbee) and rode it back to my home in Ft Lauderdale. The bike has a FMF Q2 (I think) on it. It runs great and has lots of power. It is pretty loud though. I really don't know anything about FMF exhausts. The website says they are in the mid-90 db range but I don't have any way to really measure this.

One thing I do like about it is that it is much smaller than the stock can and sits lower on the bike. So it stays out of the way of whatever I have on the luggage rack. This was a nice feature that I appreciated during my road trip to Florida.

Is there supposed to be a insertable baffle for the can or is it used as is?

I'd like to quiet it down a little so if anyone has any recommendations I am all ears.

Grunt
__________________
Zero to smart-ass in point five seconds!

"Luck, fate, karma, ee-ching, shit happens. Whatever comes along, we've gotta roll with it."
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #123
Oni
Ronin
 
Oni's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Pasadena - Californistan
Oddometer: 1,839
Hey Grunt

First...thank you for your service to the Country!!!

FMF Q mufflers are rebuildable. They have packing inside that must occasionally be changed out. From what I have seen and heard, the FMF Q's are usually about the quietest aftermarket mufflers around. Are you sure yours is a Q and not a Power Core muffler?

FMF makes quiet tips and spark arrestors for the Power Core mufflers that should bring the racket down a bit if that is what you have.

If it is a Q, it made need a packing change and hopefully that should bring the db level down.

Have fun with the bike! You may want to check out an Emig steering damper for all that Florida sand. www.emigracing.com
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #124
Grunt
Standup Philosopher
 
Grunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Oddometer: 2,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
Hey Grunt

First...thank you for your service to the Country!!!

FMF Q mufflers are rebuildable. They have packing inside that must occasionally be changed out. From what I have seen and heard, the FMF Q's are usually about the quietest aftermarket mufflers around. Are you sure yours is a Q and not a Power Core muffler?

FMF makes quiet tips and spark arrestors for the Power Core mufflers that should bring the racket down a bit if that is what you have.

If it is a Q, it made need a packing change and hopefully that should bring the db level down.

Have fun with the bike! You may want to check out an Emig steering damper for all that Florida sand. www.emigracing.com
Oni,

Thanks for the info. According to the pics I've seen in on-line parts catalogs it is a FMF Q2. I guess I'll see about getting it repacked. The previous owner put some thermal wrap around the exhaust pipe just forward of the can to minimize the heat in that area. It looks kind of cheesy but it works. I've got a couple of ideas for re-doing it with a heat shield. That project will have to wait until I'm home next time.

I bought the bike on-line and picked it up when I was on R&R recently. Now I'm back in Baghdad so I won't be doing any riding for a while.

I wish like hell I could have a bike here. The large amount of open country and the history in this place are amazing. This would be the perfect place for the X-Challenge. Oh well, maybe someday.

Grunt
(Infidel At Large)
__________________
Zero to smart-ass in point five seconds!

"Luck, fate, karma, ee-ching, shit happens. Whatever comes along, we've gotta roll with it."
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #125
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ropedrag's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If the Akrapovic is quiet and reasonably priced, I'd get it just to get rid of the weight and heat generated by the cat. But the price that I got from my dealer for the BMW supplied Akrapovic slip on only was around US$1400

Did I miss a review of the new Staintune slip on? How's the sound on it? Still looking for a quiet slip on.
Spotted this Akrapovic listing it for $953 and I'd be tempted if it was for the complete system.

http://www.motostrano.com/akraexsyforb.html
__________________
Do not mistake for wisdom the fantasies of your sick mind

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #126
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,571
$1000 for a slip on.. I'm sure it doesn't include the header pipe. If you buy it, let us know how it sounds and your impressions.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:37 AM   #127
moigc
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 3
here my exhaust
Attached Images
 
moigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #128
moigc
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 3
and another foto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uJ-YcqVuns
video is not very good
Attached Images
 
moigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 AM   #129
MOLAHS
Sisyphus
 
MOLAHS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 1,650
Staintune slip on muffler $640 aud + freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
$1000 for a slip on.. I'm sure it doesn't include the header pipe. If you buy it, let us know how it sounds and your impressions.
The AUD is currently US $0.72 so go figure !!
MOLAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #130
mcftw
hxc n33b
 
mcftw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in Cali
Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by moigc
here my exhaust
Tell us more.
__________________
"Open up your mind and think like me." Jason Mraz
mcftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #131
moigc
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 3
Sorry man I am on Greece. I don’t speak very good English.
The guy who make this exhaust is on Thessaloniki Greece and the telephone number is 2310528477
Attached Images
 
moigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #132
Ray R
Studly Adventurer
 
Ray R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Aurora, OR
Oddometer: 704
I just tried to install a tail tidy on my Xmoto after installing a Remus full exhaust system. The tail tidy works, but the turn indicators do not fit. Neither the stock ones, nor the ones that come with the kit, will fit without hitting the exhaust pipe. So it's back to the stock tail piece. DAMMIT!

BTW.....I swapped the stock air filter for the Atlanta BMW foam unit, and I left the lid off the airbox. First ride will be tomorrow.
__________________
Too many bikes. Not enough time.
Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #133
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,430
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray R
I just tried to install a tail tidy on my Xmoto after installing a Remus full exhaust system. The tail tidy works, but the turn indicators do not fit. Neither the stock ones, nor the ones that come with the kit, will fit without hitting the exhaust pipe. So it's back to the stock tail piece. DAMMIT!

BTW.....I swapped the stock air filter for the Atlanta BMW foam unit, and I left the lid off the airbox. First ride will be tomorrow.
I have the tail tidy, with the stock blinkers. They touch but won't melt. Almost 7000 miles with no issues.

Air filter also installed, that was a plus!
__________________
Ride safe!!!!
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #134
Ray R
Studly Adventurer
 
Ray R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Aurora, OR
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp
I have the tail tidy, with the stock blinkers. They touch but won't melt. Almost 7000 miles with no issues.

Air filter also installed, that was a plus!
Do you have the Remus Free Ride Street version? I looked at the standard version vs the street version today. The standard looks to be a bit shorter, so the turn indicators will work ok. I have the longer street version, and there's no way the stock turn indicators will work with the R&G tail tidy.
__________________
Too many bikes. Not enough time.
Ray R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #135
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,430
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray R
Do you have the Remus Free Ride Street version? I looked at the standard version vs the street version today. The standard looks to be a bit shorter, so the turn indicators will work ok. I have the longer street version, and there's no way the stock turn indicators will work with the R&G tail tidy.
Ooops.

I have the stock exhaust. Sorry can't be of much help now can I.
__________________
Ride safe!!!!
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014