rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Kinda sums it up "Verdict: Some neat features, but frustrating and difficult to use."

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,211
I had a chance to play with one a bit while I was visiting my buddy in Chicago. Seemed very slow. The screen was a big selling point, though. Very nice. And the virtual road thing was pretty cool. The maps were OK. But everytime you tried to access any of the menus, it was like molasses in January. Very tedious. And generating routes was just as bad. Not very fast. Too bad. Because the screen was pretty impressive.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
ShimrMoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I sent Navigon an email couple days ago to see if they had anything like a Zumo or something that might be water resistant, useful on a motorcycle. They said - we have nothing that would be suitable for you.
ShimrMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
hcmiller92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I bought a 5100 a while ago and it is super! Not waterproof, so need to make a box or something, but can pipe it into my Autocom, has speed alerts and a host of other on-screen features that none of the others have. Well worth the idiosycracies.

BMWMOA #125912
BMWRA #31609
'08 BMW K1200GT
'07 G650 X-Challenge

http://curt-mobile.blogspot.com/
hcmiller92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
I was visiting a freind in Toronto a few weeks ago and he turned me on to the brand. He said the only thing with the unit he had (one of the smaller 4:3 units) that he doesn't like is the volume isn't loud enough. Otherwise, he loves it. Said something about the brand being popular in Europe and just now making it's way to NA. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a problem when using the audio out to a headset on a bike.

The 7200t is supposed to be released this weekend:
http://www.amazon.com/Navigon-4-3-In...2484871&sr=8-1

J&R has it for pre-order for $400:
http://www.jr.com/navigon/pe/NVG_NAV7200T/

The 7200 has a 600Mhz processor vs. the 400Mhz in the 7100, so it should be a little snappier. The med/wide Aquabox should fit it just right. I'm seriously thinking about it over a Zumo450. I would probably get the J&M Integrator IV to connect it and my MP3 player together.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
themenz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python423

Yeah bought the 7200T from Costco and I am very happy. Bought and returned a Garmin and Magellan.

Liked the Magellan address entry, the Garmin sucks at that. City, Number on street, then street is poor. Navigon is very good w/enter city or zipcode first, then street, then address number. Pressing letters on Navigon can be a little touchy as compared to Garmin. But on both you get a fair amount of multiple letters or no entries.

Magellan had major flaws in routing, Garmin was great. Except if I went a different way then Garmin keeps annoucing "Recalculating" over and over loudly until it finds my way. Magellan just did not pick the best way and would go way around if there was traffic. Navigon just picks up and gives me new instructions when I bypass the route. Very quick recalculating without the irritating 5 second announcements.

Magellan has a nice ding when you reach a turn, Garmin says nothing. So if you have two streets close by, you are SOL. Navigon announces and then right before street says, "OK turn right on Main Street" Very nice.

Magellan POI was pretty good, so was Garmin. But if I remember correctly both of them found POIs behind you on a freeway. I never want to turn around. Navigon POI is much more limited, maybe 2,000,000 vs 6 m.

Display are fairly similar, voices good. Navigon has a great 3 D image that comes up on major roads showing the upcoming split or exit with the names of the highways, streets on signs above. Very cool!

Traffic on navigon is free for life. Very cool. I like it better than Garmin or Magellan but I am not a good tester as I don't commute!

Navigon and Garmin show speed limits on highways. Don't remember if Magellan did that. Navigon says "Warning" if you go 10 mph over limit. I think that is settable.

Navigon is slowest at getting satellite signals. Maybe 3 minutes at longest. Garmin is fastest. But Garmin seemed to lose the signal more easily in heart of city where tall buildings block signal.

Also Garmin is peculiar on starting up in a new state. I tried this on a plane trip to Michigan. It thought I was still in California. I had to back out to the new country section, then it allowed me to go into the right state. Otherwise it would not accept my Michigan addessses. Same thing happened when I flew back to California. Weird. I did not try this on Navigon or Magellan.

Costco gave me two years of maps and a 50 buck rebate for a total of $249.

Navigon is a keeper!

themenz screwed with this post 01-13-2009 at 06:39 AM
themenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Nice write-up, themenz!

I was holding out until spring to buy a GPS for the bike, hoping that Garmin would come out with something exciting. The latest Navigon 8100T seems to have everything the new Zumo 660 has (minus the 'motorcycle friendly' features), but at half the price ($420 for the 8100T on Amazon vs. $799 suggested retail on the Zumo 660). Lifetime map updates are $79 for the Navigon vs. $120 for the Garmin, too. Throw in a $30 Otter Box and it might just be a steal, unless the Zumo 550s drop in price a bit, in which case the XM would be nice to have.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #11
themenz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk
Nice write-up, themenz!

I was holding out until spring to buy a GPS for the bike, hoping that Garmin would come out with something exciting. The latest Navigon 8100T seems to have everything the new Zumo 660 has (minus the 'motorcycle friendly' features), but at half the price ($420 for the 8100T on Amazon vs. $799 suggested retail on the Zumo 660). Lifetime map updates are $79 for the Navigon vs. $120 for the Garmin, too. Throw in a $30 Otter Box and it might just be a steal, unless the Zumo 550s drop in price a bit, in which case the XM would be nice to have.
Thanks. I just realized I had a typo, corrected above. I bought the 7200T! (Not a 1200T)
Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
themenz
Beastly Adventurer

One thing to watch for on a bike is the touch screen and the size of the letters. The Navigon recently increased the size of letters, but you could not use this model with gloves.

Also Navigon has ABC keyboard, instead of Qwerty, but I think that is changeable.

Navigon and Magellan also blanked out letters or numbers that are not possible which is nice feature that the Garmin does not have yet. For instance when I go to enter a zip code in California, only the number 9 comes up as you start. When you type the 9 the next set of possible numbers is lit.

Navigon is plenty loud. Screen is nice with brightness individually settable for both day and night screens.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Thumbs down

Good in car,bad on bike.
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by themenz
Yeah bought the 7200T from Costco and I am very happy. Bought and returned a Garmin and Magellan.

Nice right up on the unit, curious which Garmin unit you were comparing it to? I know my Garmin 478 can be set to "recalculate un-announced". That's a nice feature.

Also surprised your garmin didn't announce the turns.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
themenz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Nice right up on the unit, curious which Garmin unit you were comparing it to? I know my Garmin 478 can be set to "recalculate un-announced". That's a nice feature.

Also surprised your garmin didn't announce the turns.
Garmin Nuvi 760

Yah, I guess I did not dig deep enough into the Garmin menu. "Recalculating" over and over like a friggin parrot, drove me crazy.

Garmin, and the others were nice in that it announced upcoming turns, such as "In .2 miles, turn left on First Street." And if there was a need to choose lanes after that turn to be prepared for the next turn it announced that too.

But when the turn was imminent, the Garmin did not "ding" like the Magellan or say, "Now turn right on First street" like the Navigon.

Maybe that is another feature I could turn on or off? That feature makes a difference when you have several crossing streets close together.