Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Importing Tracks from MapSourse to BaseCamp

I am upgrading from a Garmin 60cs to a new Garmin Montana. I have down loaded BaseCamp into my PC and I have gotten familiar with the software. Now I want to import my old MapSourse Tracks from MapSourse to BaseCamp. When I import the selected track ( I go to File, create a new list, select Import Tracks, select a track from my track list on my computer and click open) and BaseCamp imports the track. it imports the Tracks and Waypoints of the track I wanted to import along with a bunch of other waypoints, just waypoints, from other tracks I have saved on my PC. I then need to go and remove the unwanted waypoints form the track I just imported. Some waypoints are even in different states. Garmin says they never heard of this problem. Anyone experience this problem and if so, how did you fix it. Or am I just doing it wrong.

Thanks for any info!

LaPorte screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 09:07 PM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
I do this all the time - work on files in Mapsource and then import them into Basecamp. I have never seen the problem of getting extraneous stuff in the file loaded into Basecamp.

I would go back and open the file in Mapsource and make sure these offensive waypoints are not there.

It is hard to imagine the Basecamp File load software going out and randomly opening other files and loading stuff from them.

Unless of course you have a really nasty virus.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I do this all the time - work on files in Mapsource and then import them into Basecamp. I have never seen the problem of getting extraneous stuff in the file loaded into Basecamp.

I would go back and open the file in Mapsource and make sure these offensive waypoints are not there.

It is hard to imagine the Basecamp File load software going out and randomly opening other files and loading stuff from them.

Unless of course you have a really nasty virus.
Thanks wbb
Thanks for the response. This has happened on four different tracks, that's all I have tried so far. The waypoints being brought over are from other tracks. I know this because of the label attached to the waypoint, such as a town with the name of the town and it is in the correct location for the town, but its not on the track I am importing. I have imported a track from northern Cal and Baja waypoints come along for the ride and they are shown in Baja not northern Cal????????????????????????????
Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,722
This may not be the correct way, but I usually just open both Mapsource (with the file I want to transfer) and BaseCamp and just 'copy & paste' routes/tracks from one to the other. It will bring along the waypoints that are part of the route/track but have never had it bring other unrelated waypoints. This is also how I transfer routes from Mapsource to convert to tracks in BaseCamp...then copy/paste them back to Mapsource.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
This may not be the correct way, but I usually just open both Mapsource (with the file I want to transfer) and BaseCamp and just 'copy & paste' routes/tracks from one to the other. It will bring along the waypoints that are part of the route/track but have never had it bring other unrelated waypoints. This is also how I transfer routes from Mapsource to convert to tracks in BaseCamp...then copy/paste them back to Mapsource.
Boy do I hate not understanding what someone tells me. I am sorry but I not a computer type guy. I did as you suggested. I opened both MapSource and Basecamp. In my MapSource memory (Library\Document\GPS Files) I highlight the track I want to copy, right click the mouse and the copy command is available. Click on Copy. Went to Basecamp and highlighted the new list and tried to pasted. No pasted command. So I am not doing something right. Sorry. Where in BaseCamp do you paste the copied track? Logic suggest it to be pasted in Basecamp's New List?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
I has never occurred to me to copy and paste tracks and stuff between Mapsource and Basecamp using the clipboard the way you guys are describing.

I am surprised it works. I would have thought the internal format for tracks might be different between the two programs.

Anyway I transfer info by saving a file from Mapsource as a gdb and then read the file into Basecamp. A little slower but it has always worked.

I have had some trouble trying to edit tracks in Basecamp by cutting and pasting to the track window. I suspect Basecamp wants you to use the track cut and join tools.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
Boy do I hate not understanding what someone tells me. I am sorry but I not a computer type guy. I did as you suggested. I opened both MapSource and Basecamp. In my MapSource memory (Library\Document\GPS Files) I highlight the track I want to copy, right click the mouse and the copy command is available. Click on Copy. Went to Basecamp and highlighted the new list and tried to pasted. No pasted command. So I am not doing something right. Sorry. Where in BaseCamp do you paste the copied track? Logic suggest it to be pasted in Basecamp's New List?
I believe you are trying to copy the whole Mapsource file from your computer file or folder. I am referring to opening any given Mapsource file in your computer so it is open on your screen (in Mapsource), then on the left pane in Mapsource where you have the choice of Maps/Waypoints/Routes/Tracks, select one or more of the items you want to transfer to BaseCamp so they are highlighted blue, right click and copy them, then paste them into a New List in BaseCamp (or any other list you desire).
Old 08-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I has never occurred to me to copy and paste tracks and stuff between Mapsource and Basecamp using the clipboard the way you guys are describing.

It seems to work for me.

I would assume if you are trying to copy large amounts or multiple Mapsource files that are stored on your computer, the other way is best (importing them) but since I still use Mapsource as my main trip planning program for now, I am usually only transferring random tracks and waypoints back and forth at a time and the copy/paste method seems to work fine.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
I believe you are trying to copy the whole Mapsource file from your computer file or folder. I am referring to opening any given Mapsource file in your computer so it is open on your screen (in Mapsource), then on the left pane in Mapsource where you have the choice of Maps/Waypoints/Routes/Tracks, select one or more of the items you want to transfer to BaseCamp so they are highlighted blue, right click and copy them, then paste them into a New List in BaseCamp (or any other list you desire).
Ok now I understand. Ya I was trying to copy the entire file. Told you I am not a computer guy! LOL. Hey thanks for the help, every little bit helps.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #10
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
You want to use 'Import' to bring waypoint, route and track files into Basecamp. Once you've imported the files, its easy to copy, cut & paste tracks, routes & waypoints between lists.

Keep in mind that if you make any changes to the imported file within Basecamp, the changes are made only to that particular list which took the name of the imported file. If you want to save those changes back to the actual file you imported, you have to use 'Export'.
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #11
Germax
...zzzzZZZZ

Oddometer: 22
Just dump it all and use Tyre. I did and it is amazing. Google maps style interface and it sends directly to device. Give it 15 minutes and you will never touch base camp again.
Germax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #12
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Importing Track from MapSourse to BaseCamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germax View Post
Just dump it all and use Tyre. I did and it is amazing. Google maps style interface and it sends directly to device. Give it 15 minutes and you will never touch base camp again.

Seems too good to be true, is this forum spam? Hehe. I'm on it anyway, Garmin software is in the dark ages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

divimon2000 screwed with this post 08-21-2014 at 05:47 AM
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #13
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
No Mac version yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pissed More than difficult

I am really confused. I wanted to download some maps to my Garmin Montana 600. I was told that a 4GB SD card would work. I wanted to download my Topo 24K West and my LBMaps Baja Navigator on the same card. The Topo 24K West was originally in MapSource as was the LBMaps Baja Navigator and I transferred both Maps to BaseCamp. I tried to download both the maps to my Garmin 600 SD card (4GB). Topo 24k West downloaded just fine but the LBMaps Baja Navigator would not download from BaseCamp. Both Maps were in BaseCamp and usable to make tracks. I tried to used BaseCamp a couple of time to download LBMaps Baja Navigator with no luck. So I said what the hell lets try downloading that map from MapSource and sure enough it worked. So I have a Garmin Topo 24K West and a LBMaps Baja Navigator both on the 4GB card. I wish it wasn't so Fxx#ing confusing to do this shit.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #15
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
How big is the LBMaps Baja Navigator file?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote