Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
pizzaforbreakfast OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Garmin Montana 650t shutting down issues

My Montana 650t is shutting down on its own now. Up until this point it has been working flawlessly. This is not due to vibration. I have learned all about that from my experiences with my 60csx. I power the 650t from the rugged mount and for the past year it has worked great. I have gotten the "please only use garmin supported batteries" message (due to vibration) but that is fixed by removing the battery when powering the unit from the bike. I am now suffering from random shutdowns when the unit is simply sitting on a desk, or being held in my hand (on battery power). In all fairness I have been pretty rough on the unit during the time I have owned it. No big deal. My solution is to exchange the unit for a new one. Just wanted to share my issue with the community as it may help someone in the future.
pizzaforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,668
I've had similar issues with my Montana 600 being used for dual sport riding in the Garmin rugged mount. Several times this summer, it has just powered down while riding for no apparent reason. I'll look down and notice the screen blank. So far I've always been able to just power it back up and no issues other than the lost track segment while it was off. Anyone know a cause or cure for this?
Old 08-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
2WheelieADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I have the same problem (on lesser degree) with my 660. It shuts down in the middle of the ride (navigating) or just freezes. Doesn't matter if in the credible or on batteries. I heard that shutting down reason is from the heat if traveling under direct sun for long time... dono.
I think Montana has its bugs not sorted out. You may have the same issue with a different one. I'd probably go with Zumo instead.
2WheelieADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaforbreakfast View Post
My Montana 650t is shutting down on its own now. Up until this point it has been working flawlessly. This is not due to vibration. I have learned all about that from my experiences with my 60csx. I power the 650t from the rugged mount and for the past year it has worked great. I have gotten the "please only use garmin supported batteries" message (due to vibration) but that is fixed by removing the battery when powering the unit from the bike. I am now suffering from random shutdowns when the unit is simply sitting on a desk, or being held in my hand (on battery power). In all fairness I have been pretty rough on the unit during the time I have owned it. No big deal. My solution is to exchange the unit for a new one. Just wanted to share my issue with the community as it may help someone in the future.
You might want to try a full reset, and/or reloading the maps, just in case it is software related.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #5
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 540
I too have had this issue off and on - which at first seemed random - but after some process of elimination checking seemed to have some patterns.

Here is what I noticed:
1) If you are using a uSD card with *.img maps on it or any tracks or routes - vibration will cause the card to loose contact momentarily and cause a shut down.

2) If you have enabled more than one map on the profile and are traveling through an area were there is a conflict between the enabled maps - the unit gets confused and shuts down. This seems to be an absolute if you are following a route or track at the time you reach the conflict.

3) If the unit gets confused for any reason (software issues, map/track/route conflicts, lost connection to the uSD ) the default action seems to be to just shut down - I am guessing here, but this may just be a programmed default action.

4) There is a possibility that it could also be power source related with either a momentary loss or power surge and the safety default is to shut down??

For what they are worth - this is what I have noticed/observed.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
shu

Oddometer: 979
I've noticed the same patterns you have over 30-40,000 miles of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
I too have had this issue off and on - which at first seemed random - but after some process of elimination checking seemed to have some patterns.

Here is what I noticed:
1) If you are using a uSD card with *.img maps on it or any tracks or routes - vibration will cause the card to loose contact momentarily and cause a shut down.

Yes, I used to have that happen. A piece of electrical tape across the card, under the battery is a good, non-gooey way to hold it in. Also shim the battery with a piece of paper or a foam earplug.

2) If you have enabled more than one map on the profile and are traveling through an area were there is a conflict between the enabled maps - the unit gets confused and shuts down. This seems to be an absolute if you are following a route or track at the time you reach the conflict.

I've had the Montana shut itself off when crossing the Mexican border. The Mexico map I was using (Bicimapas) had much more detail than the North America Maps on the Mexican side- I was riding on roads that NA maps didn't know existed.

3) If the unit gets confused for any reason (software issues, map/track/route conflicts, lost connection to the uSD ) the default action seems to be to just shut down - I am guessing here, but this may just be a programmed default action.

Yes, if there is a gap in the road data, and you are following a route, the Montana will try desperately to find a way out for you. Recalculating over and over until....it gets tired? it gives up? it can't handle the confusion? I don't know, sometimes it will shut itself off. Restarts fine, fully functional.

4) There is a possibility that it could also be power source related with either a momentary loss or power surge and the safety default is to shut down??

For what they are worth - this is what I have noticed/observed.

Not a huge issue for me since it turns right back on without problems.

................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote