ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #1501
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddy
Okay, I am thinking of purchasing one of the SPOT GPS Satellite messenger services. They now have the SPOT2 unit out which is smaller and supposedly a better signal than the SPOT1. The reviews on the SPOT1 are pretty mixed when you read around. Seems like people either love it or hate it. Not to mention the yearly fee for the unit.

I would love to hear back from any riders using either the SPOT1 or SPOT2 unit. BTW, West Marine is selling the SPOT1 unit for $80 plus you can get a $30 Rebate card back to be used at West Marine. Thanks for
I have used the Spot 1 now for three years every time I ride or snowmobile. I will definately upgrade to the Spot 2. My biggest complaint with the Spot is if it isn't pointing towards the sky and concelead in something it may not send its signal. Also if it is anywhere near your GPS it won't send either. I finally got it's own carrying case and mount it on top of my gear at the back of the motorcycle and this does fairly well. In tight trees it won't send its location. It pings every 10 minutes and if it misses that ping then it waits another 10.

The description of the Spot2 say it transmits better..... my number one complaint with the Spot1. Also great to have text messaging codes for more versatility. My wife always tracks me on the internet when I go in the backcountry and when it stops pinging my location she gets nervous. This happens more than you would think with the Spot 1.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #1502
NoDirt4Me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Check out The Great Big SPOT Thread
NoDirt4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #1503
mackdaddy
Finding my way

Oddometer: 877
Thanks NoDirt

Thanks for the thread. Man, 100 pages and counting. Ouch!
mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #1504
NoDirt4Me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddy
Thanks for the thread. Man, 100 pages and counting. Ouch!
I know! you gotta be a speed reader!

Look for posts from "Spotmaker" he's our mole.
NoDirt4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #1505
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
Spot 1 at Sam's club for $88 delivered

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...cfkjdgoodfgn.0
$79 @ west marine and you get a $30 gift card.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #1506
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
$79 @ west marine and you get a $30 gift card.

nice. but since I need it for tomorrow, I had to buy one off the shelf at full retail. . I waited too long to review the gen 2 units. oh well.

let the learning begin
freeflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #1507
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
I'm really having a hard time deciding between the Gen 1 or Gen 2 mostly because of the battery life. Are most still going with the Gen 1 units? or?

Compare Spot Gen 1 & Gen 2

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #1508
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide open
But you found one? I've been to half a dozen of their listed dealers including both Cabelas and Bass Pro. Needless to say, none of the clerks even knew what I was talking about.

Emailed the company a week or so ago to ask where I might possibly buy one - where they may have actually been shipped - got no response.
Zero.

Apparently what we have here is a good product and a sad excuse for a business.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218116795825
I work for Axonn LLC, the company that designed and manufactures the SPoT Satellite messenger. However opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of SPoT INC. or Axonn LLC.
SpotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #1509
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
I had seen a Gen 2 at the Lakewood REI and made the stupid move of wanting to go home and research it a little more before spending the money. We were leaving for NM a couple of days later so I thought there was plenty of time. Went back two hours later and the damn thing was gone. Come to find out no REI stores had any in stock nor did the online store. Luckily I found one in Santa Fe and snatched it up. I forgot the laptop (doh!) and couldn't activate it until yesterday. I'll let you guys know what I think later in the week.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #1510
boatworker
Slow Old Guy

Oddometer: 500
Bluhduh

Bought the Gen1 unit before a 3 day road trip this weekend. All was well until about an hour before I got home. The unit was in the map pocket of the tank bag, green lights blinking, good battery and it just stopped reporting my track. I pulled in the driveway and my wife thought I was still an hour out. So, I called customer, 20 minute wait time, service and they were of no help. I have an e-mail in also so we will see. At this point I am thinking return the thing.
boatworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #1511
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator
I'm really having a hard time deciding between the Gen 1 or Gen 2 mostly because of the battery life. Are most still going with the Gen 1 units? or?

wow, i just checked out the comparison. i have been thinking about the purchase of a spot for some time now and reading everything i can and all the reviews and waiting for the unit to improve.
it looks like they took a big step backwards unless i am reading something wrong. they have a hell of a ways to go before i would consider buying one.

cyclepath

Bikes i own......
08 DR650
93 gl1500 aspencade
80 gl 1100, naked
03 TW200
94 TW200
73 Bultaco Alpina
?? Montesa cota 25
68 Honda express, 50cc
68 Honda CT-90
?? Suzuki TS-90
82 Honda CX500 custom
80 Honda CX 500 deluxe
2000 Kawasaki W650
80? Junk Honda Shadow
Green Mountain Vintage Cycle Restorations
Since 1999
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #1512
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator

Yikes!

Makes me glad I got the Gen 1.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #1513
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 251
Just to put the battery life aspect of that comparison chart into perspective... the chart says the Spot1's battery life in tracking mode is 14 days. On my recent 4.5 month cross-country-48state trip I used my Spot1 in tracking mode all day every day and had to change the batteries twice... once mid-way through the trip and once on the very last day of the trip. In my experience, Spot1's battery life in tracking mode was 2.5 months, not 14 days.

Based on this, I believe that the Spot2's real-world battery life in tracking mode will be much greater than 4.3 days.

...hopefully
IBA Member #57912
Lucky_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #1514
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Devil

...Based on this, I believe that the Spot2's real-world battery life in tracking mode will be much greater than 4.3 days.

...hopefully
I haven't seen the specs. Did they specify the duty cycle? I presume 4.3 days means 103 hours of use (ten 10-hr days) at 6 transmissions per hour, or 618 GPS fixes and transmissions. Not too bad for something that size.

Based on what Spotmaker's said previously about their transmitter and antenna design standards, I'm betting they're the same in both Spot 1 and Spot 2, thus you're no more likely to get through with one than the other. If you upgrade to the new Spot it'll be for the added messaging options and smaller size -- both are worthy features.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #1515
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Based on what Spotmaker's said previously about their transmitter and antenna design standards, I'm betting they're the same in both Spot 1 and Spot 2, thus you're no more likely to get through with one than the other. If you upgrade to the new Spot it'll be for the added messaging options and smaller size -- both are worthy features.

Cheers.
From this article: http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=113

Quote:
New enhanced satellite antenna for improved performance in foliage or canopied environments and Advanced GPS performance chipset – The original SPOT suffered from less than stellar GPS performance in challenging environments and even some not so challenging. In part it was the GPS receiver, which wasn’t leading edge, but in larger part it was caused by the fact that the GPS receiving antenna and the satellite transmitting antenna were one and the same and it was optimized to transmit to the Globalstar satellites. SPOT claims the new dual use antenna is a major breakthrough and doesn’t compromise GPS performance. I’ll take that with at least a small grain of salt, but expect that there will be a significant improvement in GPS performance between having a current generation, high sensitivity GPS receiver and a better antenna. Only testing and field experience will show how much better.
IBA Member #57912
Lucky_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote