ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #151
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
It's working as designed. Here's a link to the manual:

http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/...2007_10_16.pdf

Check out pages 11-12 about SPOTcasting, it states "SPOTcheck must be inactive for SPOTcasting to be activated.".

Basically, when you put it to the OK/Check mode, it needs to take it out of tracking mode so it can send those 3 redundant OK messages over the next 20 minutes. You can be in either OK/Check mode or Tracking mode, but not both at the same time.

When I want to switch back and forth between the two, I find it easiest to just power the whole thing down, turn it back on, and put it in the chosen mode. But keep in mind if you do this sooner than 20 minutes after you sent an OK message, there's a chance, however small, that the OK message may not have gone through already.
aciurczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #152
velocitramp
Velocitramp

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by aciurczak
It's working as designed. Here's a link to the manual:

http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/...2007_10_16.pdf

Check out pages 11-12 about SPOTcasting, it states "SPOTcheck must be inactive for SPOTcasting to be activated.".

Basically, when you put it to the OK/Check mode, it needs to take it out of tracking mode so it can send those 3 redundant OK messages over the next 20 minutes. You can be in either OK/Check mode or Tracking mode, but not both at the same time.

When I want to switch back and forth between the two, I find it easiest to just power the whole thing down, turn it back on, and put it in the chosen mode. But keep in mind if you do this sooner than 20 minutes after you sent an OK message, there's a chance, however small, that the OK message may not have gone through already.
Thanks! That's exactly what we suspected...though it's funny how neither one of us found that covered in the manual.
velocitramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #153
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Actually, pressing the OK/check button when in tracking mode (and holding for 3 seconds IIRC) cancels tracking. (LED blinks red a few times to indicate that tracking mode is terminating when you do this.)

You would then have to press the OK/check button again to send a check-in message. (Short press for check in message, 5 second press -until the LED begins to blink- for track mode.)
SpotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #154
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

The time is in GMT. As of right now there is no way to change this, but I thought I saw a post somewhere from someone who spoke to tech support, and they had mentioned that a website upgrade was in the works and converting from GMT to your local time would be one of the added features.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #155
UK Jimbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
The time is in GMT. As of right now there is no way to change this, but I thought I saw a post somewhere from someone who spoke to tech support, and they had mentioned that a website upgrade was in the works and converting from GMT to your local time would be one of the added features.
No problem for those of us who live in a GMT zone! (in fact only a few miles away from Greenwich here).

...well no problem untill we enter daylight saving time!
UK Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #156
12bnkd
UP for any Adventure

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Yes, I posted a email from them that said they were going to make this local time to where you clocked in at
V-Rod
Sportster (First Bike)

http://ride.smugmug.com/MotorcycleRi...18710698_g3dzr

WWW.BattalionMC.com
12bnkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #157
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Marty's post.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #158
Essjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
read somewhere, possibly earlier in this thread that there was some sort of power supply coming out for these and that we might be able to power them from the bikes.

Anyone heard any more about it?
Essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #159
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

New SPoT website feature

Have you seen the new feature?

Now, under the message tab on your SPoT account website, there are buttons to download the selected track points in GPX, CSV, or KML format!

Now, all they need is a "guest" login any I think they'll have addressed 99% of the requests for website enhancement.

Oh, and by the way: We have a third report of a 911 save for SPoT!
Old 01-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #160
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool! It's a great addition, but 99% means SPOT only has 1% to go on that site, and there are still a whole bunch of improvements that folks are looking for:

- guest tracking (as you mentioned).
- conversion from GMT to local time
- multiple message profiles
- remembering login information if a user chooses to
- auto-refresh of new track points on map view with a settable logout timer if necessary

I saw that there's a new option to enter emergency contact numbers under message profile, but I wish there was a way to enter more than 1 for each of the two individuals; it would be useful to be able to give both cell + landline rather than having to choose between the two.

For guest tracking, I hope that there are some usability tests planned to make sure it's dead-simple for friends to see the tracking, rather than all of the clicking and choosing that is now necessary. I'd like to have a checkbox on my account that says "enable" or "disable" guest tracking, and then give a specific URL to my friends/family that they could click on and immediately see a map view of my trackpoints for the past 24 hrs. At that point if they want to select additional points or deselect points to modify what is shown on the map, great, but I'd imagine many wouldn't ever feel the need. If instead we are given the ability to set up guest accounts (with another userid/password), that could work as well, but I'd still hope that upon login they are brought immediately to that map with my trackpoints already listed on it.

aciurczak screwed with this post 01-17-2008 at 07:53 AM
Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #161
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
yesterday I received the first 20 Spot locators, our local search and rescue folks have been training with them for some time.
We immediately activated one and it seems to be working as advertised.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #162
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool! It's a great addition, but 99% means SPOT only has 1% to go on that site, and there are still a whole bunch of improvements that folks are looking for:

- guest tracking (as you mentioned).
- conversion from GMT to local time
- multiple message profiles
- remembering login information if a user chooses to
- auto-refresh of new track points on map view with a settable logout timer if necessary
My "99% comment" was, of course, a joke.

That web site, like every site on the web, will be a work in progress forever. Several of the things you mention are on the way. It is my understanding that the first two on your list are definitely coming. (Guest login and conversion to local time.)
Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #163
Harrington
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
My "99% comment" was, of course, a joke.

That web site, like every site on the web, will be a work in progress forever. Several of the things you mention are on the way. It is my understanding that the first two on your list are definitely coming. (Guest login and conversion to local time.)
Great that's a start. Keep us posted.
Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #164
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,081
Downloading track points into KML format

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
Have you seen the new feature?

Now, under the message tab on your SPoT account website, there are buttons to download the selected track points in GPX, CSV, or KML format!
I tried this out today. Did my normal dirt bike loop with Spot. Got back, opened my account, clicked "select all," and then clicked on the kml tab.

What was kind of cool vs. just a gps was that each track point has the time embedded which you can read in the google earth page. I'm taking a group of adv'ers on this loop (or part of it) in a couple of weeks and wondered how long it would take to finish it under the best of circumstances. The image is below (if it works).
Attached Images

Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #165
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
I tried this out today. Did my normal dirt bike loop with Spot. Got back, opened my account, clicked "select all," and then clicked on the kml tab.

What was kind of cool vs. just a gps was that each track point has the time embedded which you can read in the google earth page. I'm taking a group of adv'ers on this loop (or part of it) in a couple of weeks and wondered how long it would take to finish it under the best of circumstances. The image is below (if it works).
If you take both SPoT and GPS and display the GPS track in Google Earth, when you upload your SPoT's kml file to GE, your SPoT points will be superimposed on the track. This gives some feeling for the time dimension.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote