ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #1636
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,744
You know, it'd be great if you came in here offering some advice and maybe some guidance to the unwashed masses before you try selling something.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #1637
NatetheNewbie
TAT-Tested

Oddometer: 74
bad batteries

just fired up my spot II for the first hour to make a few test tracks, etc. I got the red light already. bad batteries. bummer, but if a simple call to SPOT won't fix it, then it's not worth the hassle to mess with it.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #1638
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
You know, it'd be great if you came in here offering some advice and maybe some guidance to the unwashed masses before you try selling something.
Looks to me like the program he's created speaks for itself. If I had a Crackberry, I'd buy his program for the $5 or $6 he's asking.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #1639
Cyclepath
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
lighten up "Gordy" if you don't want to buy it then don't. geeeez, some peopels kids.

cyclepath

Bikes i own......
08 DR650
93 gl1500 aspencade
80 gl 1100, naked
03 TW200
94 TW200
73 Bultaco Alpina
?? Montesa cota 25
68 Honda express, 50cc
68 Honda CT-90
?? Suzuki TS-90
82 Honda CX500 custom
80 Honda CX 500 deluxe
2000 Kawasaki W650
80? Junk Honda Shadow
Green Mountain Vintage Cycle Restorations
Since 1999
Cyclepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #1640
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclepath
lighten up "Gordy" if you don't want to buy it then don't. geeeez, some peopels kids.

cyclepath
1st post on ADVrider and it's .

There are over 1600 posts in this one thread alone talking about the product and all we get is a sales pitch from someone who actually seems to know a lot about it.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #1641
SPOTSharedPageMobile
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hopefully I will be able to provide some constructive advice and guidance in the future. My apologies Gordy.
SPOTSharedPageMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #1642
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOTSharedPageMobile
Hopefully I will be able to provide some constructive advice and guidance in the future. My apologies Gordy.
In all seriousness, I'll bet you have a lot of info that we could use. Neat looking app. Are you making one for the iphone?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #1643
SPOTSharedPageMobile
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The iPhone version is pretty much complete. Just going through final testing. It should see the light of day in a month or so.
SPOTSharedPageMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #1644
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
The SPOT Adventures website sucks huge and hairy Moose cock! http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=182122 So I am going a whole 9 mph on this trip? Also the option to not show stats doesn't work. It shows the stats regardless. Other comments I wrote on the link. When you get there scroll down to see my trip summary. Or better yet, just read the ride report here at ADVrider.

Get it right SPOT people, or go back to sucking huge hairy Moose cock

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #1645
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
I purchased Spot II as soon as I could get my hands on it in Oct. I ride primarily in the SoCal desert and dunes. I also have been to Baja with it. I find that it is very accurate in tracking me as I ride along. I have better than 95% success in tracking.

Went to Glamis yesterday and thought I had turned off my Spot when I left. Got up this morning to look at my track from yesterday to find that my Spot was still on and sending out tracking all night. The funny thing about it is that it was in the back of my SUV in a covered carport. I know you can't tell from the picture, but the carport extends well past the rear of the truck.

Here is a pic of it attached to my Camelbak. Look for the two green lights. Notice that is isn't pointing out the back window either, but rather toward the front of the truck. With only the windshield and the front of the carport, there wasn't much room for GPS/sat shots.

In front of the truck there is a fence which you can almost make out and then in front of the driver seat is part of a screened-in porch.

Needless to say, I am very impressed with the capability to get a signal out. I use the armband to strap it around the pocket of the Camel and then also use the strap to secure it. Done some rough riding and it never comes off and gives me great coverage. Very, very happy with tracking, especially after last night.

Jim

jimrobinette screwed with this post 01-09-2011 at 09:17 PM
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #1646
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,985
Any news on trading in a V1.0 for a V2.0? I heard rumors of it a while back, then nothing more.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #1647
JeffinTD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Stupid Spot Question...

I was thinking of buying the Spot Messenger, and have a question I can't seem to find an answer for...

Does the thing have any sort of provision for an external power source?

It would sure be nice to plug into the bike, and save the batteries for when I'm hiking, or the bike has an electrical failure or something like that...

Had: CX500, DR650, S2 Thunderbolt.

Need: To win the lottery so I can actually get time to ride.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #1648
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD
...Does the thing have any sort of provision for an external power source?...
No.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #1649
JeffinTD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Thanks for the quick answer...

Had: CX500, DR650, S2 Thunderbolt.

Need: To win the lottery so I can actually get time to ride.
JeffinTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #1650
drazvan
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Puke Cancelling the SPOT subscription - a nightmare story!

Hello everyone,

Just another word of warning for those who are considering cancelling their SPOT subscription. It's almost impossible to do so, read below for my nightmarish story ...

Since I wasn't using the SPOT I sent an email to their customer support on October 17th, asking for the service to be cancelled on its due date (Dec 2nd). They confirmed on Nov 5th saying that the service had been cancelled (they didn't wait until Dec 2nd but I was glad it all seemed so "easy").

Then surprise, on Dec 2nd I got an email from their system saying that it had attempted to charge my credit card EUR 149 for 1 more year of service (and failed because that was a debit card and there was no money in that account). The weird thing was that the credit card was also expired (the one they had on record had an expiration date in June 2009, it had since been renewed but I didn't enter my new expiration date or CVV code in their system).

I emailed again asking what was going on: the answer was completely baffling: they claim to have an automated system that cannot be stopped! It will try to charge my credit card every night until January 10th when for some reason it will stop. They also claim that it was my fault for cancelling "late" (Oct 17th to Dec 2nd is 1.5 months - but apparently that's not enough notice for them). So it's my fault for cancelling only 1.5 months in advance and there is a computer with a mind of its own at SPOT attempting to charge my credit card every night. I feel like I'm in a bad SciFi movie....

I will never ever use their services again and I wish them a soft automated unstoppable transition into bankruptcy...

Razvan
drazvan is offline   Reply With Quote