ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 113 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #1666
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
As I posted in the SPOT Trip Manager Google Group, I checked my unit using the referenced instructions and it is apparantly OK.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #1667
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

It wll be interesting to follow other's findings with the SPOT II recall here...

Old 12-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #1668
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,452
SPOT/Globalstar has some obvious software problems/bugs. I've logged into my account several times, gone to the My GPS Locations tab, clicked on

GPS locations: xx (Last 7 Days) Change

changed it to Last 24 hours , hit apply and set filter , logged out and back in and it always displays Last 7 Days of GPS locations. Apparently there's no way to change how many days of GPS locations are displayed as it goes back to Last 7 days as soon as you logout.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #1669
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtguy
I purchased my Spot 2 at my local REI on september 27...i haven't used it much, but when i have, the tracking and messaging have worked just fine.
I didn't see any message saying i have an affected unit on the spot website either...I will wait until they have replacements in stock before sending mine in too.

BTW, i just sent a test message to myself from inside my house and the device worked perfectly...very accurately pinpointing my location in the house no less!

I got mine in mid October. I haven't used it a lot but haven't had any problems with it. I logged into findmespot and went to the My GPS Locations and there was a message at the top but nothing specific to me.
This is what it says:

(1) Spot LLC is conducting a voluntary return on new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (SPOT-2) devices purchased since October 1, 2009. During recent testing, we discovered that some of the new SPOT 2 devices might not meet battery and messaging operating specification. Please see findmespot.com/exchange for details.

I really don't want to replace a unit if it isn't displaying symptoms. By the way does anyone know exactly what those symptoms are? I haven't seen anything that would let the owner determine whether or not the unit they own is affected. Also does anyone know if that above message is the generic or does it mean my unit is faulty?

Cheers,
Robert
Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #1670
boatworker
Slow Old Guy

Oddometer: 500
That message, in red, just showed up on my page also. Would have to assume that means to send it in. I am going to wait until Jan.

As to the battery indicator fault, yesterday I was getting the red light and I checked the batteries and they were fine. Today all lights are green again. Something is not working as it should.
boatworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #1671
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney
SPOT/Globalstar has some obvious software problems/bugs. I've logged into my account several times, gone to the My GPS Locations tab, clicked on

GPS locations: xx (Last 7 Days) Change

changed it to Last 24 hours , hit apply and set filter , logged out and back in and it always displays Last 7 Days of GPS locations. Apparently there's no way to change how many days of GPS locations are displayed as it goes back to Last 7 days as soon as you logout.
Dave:Open the pod bay doors HAL!
HAL: I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Just logged back in and now mine also displays

(1) Spot LLC is conducting a voluntary return on new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (SPOT-2) devices purchased since October 1, 2009. During recent testing, we discovered that some of the new SPOT 2 devices might not meet battery and messaging operating specification. Please see findmespot.com/exchange for details.

I've been using mine the last four weekends on the original batteries with no problems.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #1672
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
I received my notice tonight and signed up for a replacement. I don't have any "known" issues, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Timmer
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #1673
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
No point in sending it in until they have replacements (not available at the moment)
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 AM   #1674
dirkson
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Didn't have the message last night, but its there this AM -- will definitely be doing the swap once replcements start to ship...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkson
Does anyone have the message indicating they have an af
fected unit -- I seemed to have dodged this bullet, but a swap seems prudent (once replacements are stocked "in early 2010")... My G2 unit arrived 11/12 from REI.

--

'06 BMW F650GS Dakar
dirkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #1675
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,078
Its on my list for Santa!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #1676
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney

Just logged back in and now mine also displays

Ditto on the above. No notice yesterday, but there this morning.

The fact that SPOT is making this a bit ambiguous on top of a recall will be irritating to some customers. The above message, if indeed the "send your unit in" message that was referenced in the notification email and repeated at the findmespot.com/exchange page, should be more clearly worded. It's not. It's just a repeat of the "some units have problems and yours could be one of them" message. I believe they're banking on their instructions that if the above notice shows up on your My GPS Locations page, that means send it in, and that's how I'm taking it.

The fact that they send the announcement email the day before they actually load messages to affected customers is also a bit botched. Customers yesterday logged in by the score, I'll bet, and when initially finding no notice, thought they had one of the good units. Not ideal

Lastly, they offer "one month free service" to be added on to affected accounts "for all the trouble". Well, if the units don't ship right away, they're behind in fair dealing there as well. If you send your unit in today, a replacement should be in your hands the middle of January. Any bets?

Good thing they're not handling the Toyota floor mat recall
Old 12-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #1677
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

If you have an affected SPOT II unit, this is how/where the notification shows up in your account:

Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #1678
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Two good pieces of news:

Despite this recall, me experience with my SPOT unit(s) is that they have always worked flawlessly in the field.

I also appreciate Spotmaker's posts in this thread, he is always helpful and his information is very useful.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #1679
NoDirt4Me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
One of our forum members (ST-owners.com) got this response from SPOT, which clears up a lot of the ambiguity of the SPOT notification:

Quote:
Hello xxxxx xxxxx,

You may not be experiencing any issues with your SPOT 2 device now but to make sure that you don't encounter these issues in the future; we are advising all SPOT 2 users to take place in the exchange program.

Please be advised, the product is NOT unsafe. The battery operation on some Spot 2 devices do not meet specification. It is recommended that you return your SPOT-2 product under the return guidelines at www.findmespot.com/exchange

If you have any further questions or concerns, please relpy to this email or contact us at 1-866-727-7733. We are open Monday to Friday 8am to 12am North American EST.

Best Regards,
Spot Customer Service
1-866-727-7733
www.findmespot.com
(on a side note, methinks there will be quite a number of "refurbished" SPOT-2s hitting the market next year)

NoDirt4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #1680
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,242
Globalstar expands distribution of the SPOT to South America.

Found this on Facebook, in the GPSCity News:

Globalstar Inc., makers of the SPOT satellite messenger, have recently signed an agreement with TESACOM, allowing them to expand their distribution to Argentina, Chile, and Paraguay.

The SPOT messenger uses a combination of satellite messaging and GPS location based technology to provide peace of mind for consumers who spend time outdoors, or have loved ones who are of the adventurous type. The handheld device determines the coordinates of the user, then transmits that location and status using the Globalstar satellite network. In emergency situations, SPOT can send the current GPS coordinates to the local search and rescue call center.

Since the inception of the SPOT, in November 2007, over 10 million status and tracking messages have been sent using the GPS messenger. At least 450 people have been rescued worldwide, with credit going to the SPOT system. In the short time that this device has been around, it has received numerous global industry awards; including The 2008 Wall Street Journal Technology Innovation Award, for the category of Consumer Electronics.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote