ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #1726
MarcMuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Well the satellite service has nothing to do with customer service and I've never had a problem with it. But as I was getting pretty excited to get a genII I think I'll be happy holding onto my GenI that works for the time being
DiabloBlanco,

What makes you say the this? customer service includes having a reliable satellite service/rig.
I'm not trying to argue anything but in my mind SPOT customer service and satellite service go hand in hand.

I'll get one this year and I guess I'll find out first hand!

MM
MarcMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #1727
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcMuller
DiabloBlanco,

What makes you say the this? customer service includes having a reliable satellite service/rig.
I'm not trying to argue anything but in my mind SPOT customer service and satellite service go hand in hand.

I'll get one this year and I guess I'll find out first hand!

MM
No no, I was just making a point as someone alluded that because customer service sucked, then the sat system was faulty too or something along those lines and I simply meant that while a representative of the company might suck, it isn't necessarily indicative of the quality of performance of the product. Furthermore, should you actually get in trouble and need to use the 911 function, I am quite sure you wouldn't be dealing with the same bad customer service as if you were just calling with a question.

That said, as consumers, we have every reasonable right to expect and demand that not only does a product work as it should, but that the vendors of such a product should give due respect and service to their customers. So while I DO have (semi) full faith in my Spot unit and it's potential to save my ass, I would leave Spot in a heartbeat for a similar product simply because I find their practices and customer service to be so lacking.
Cheers!
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #1728
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
This was just posted over on RaceDezert.com:
http://race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75501

Spot Tracker Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndvalium
I just wanted to share a quick story on a Search and Rescue I handled last night at work.....

We recieved a call yesterday evening from the monitoring center for spot tracker of an activation of a subscriber. Very professional group that even though they had no information of what had happened to cause the activation, had extremely detailed maps with elevation and were able to give us GPS (in any format we wanted) and then also were able to give me percise enough info, that the activation was 200 feet south of the Wheeler Pass peak on the road.

I know from experience this is a nasty trail this time of year with the south and east side typicaly iced over with a 200 foot cliff on one side of the road.

Launched a Search and Rescue helicopter and about 40 minutes later, 3 people in their 50's had been rescued off the peak and brought down safely. They thought they could make it over and when they hit ice, they slid off the road. no injuries and rescued safely.

Kudos to Spot Tracker, and their team. This was my first oppurtunity to recieve a call from them and I just wanted those of you that have them to know that it works....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndvalium
I wanted to add, that it gave such good details that when the 3 people moved to to top of the peak after being 200 feet down one side, the spot center called and updated each position report to us. They have position hits every 5 minutes until it was turned off.

Pretty neat device and experience of a rescue actually happening I thought anyway -

Stay safe everyone-
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #1729
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Delorme and SPOT team up

Just announced at CES and from gpstracklog.com:

DeLorme PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator

We’ve got some big news for backcountry types today. DeLorme and Spot have jointly unveiled the first combination ruggedized GPS navigator and satellite communicator. The DeLorme Earthmate PN-60w with SPOT Satellite Communicator can send customized text messages to individuals or groups. While emergency messaging or personal locator beacon capability is something I’ve been wanting to see in a handheld GPS receiver for awhile, plans are for the PN-60w to offer even more.

Lets back up a bit first though. As you can see from the image above, these are two separate units. We’ve been told that the devices will connect using a yet to be disclosed wireless protocol (hence the “w” in the model name). It’s described as having an ultra-low power draw and a range of over half a mile in recent tests.

But get this…DeLorme plans to release a firmware update in the fall that will allow communication between PN-60w devices, allowing users to see each other on the map, send text messages, and share waypoints, tracks, and routes. This is a very interesting combination that goes beyond what Garmin’s Rino series offers. With the PN-60w, if you get out of range, you can use satellite based communication to compose and send text messages to predetermined individuals or groups.

Speaking of which, according to the news release, messages can also be shared with social networking sites like SPOTadventures.com, Geocaching.com, Twitter, and Facebook.

Like the SPOT Satellite Messenger, this data is sent via satellite, and doesn’t rely on cellular networks, which makes it such a useful (and potentially life-saving) backcountry tool. The SPOT Satellite Communicator also has stand-alone capability to send location-based SOS notifications to an emergency response center.

SPOT has created a unique product and has lots of fans, but it hasn’t always been a smooth ride for them. Last month, they announced a recall of their second generation Messenger product. The false security provided by the devices has also led to people being less than fully prepared for the backcountry, and has significantly increased the number of calls received by search and rescue (SAR) agencies, who are the ones having to deal with the fallout from this technology. How ironic it will be if the PN-60w’s capabilities make it the unit of choice for SAR!

The PN-60w is slated to be available in the spring of 2010 – May appears to be the target date. Unit and service plan pricing was not available at post time, but we can tell you this — owners will need to have a SPOT subscription and then add a text message option to the plan.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #1730
NoDirt4Me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
The return paperwork for my SPOT-2 came today (Jan 7th). It included an addressed postage paid padded envelope for the SPOT.

Here's the front and back of the paperwork:

NoDirt4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #1731
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Glad they have done a 3 month extension and not a 30 day one. Still waiting for my return paperwork to come. I just hope it doesn't take a long time for the replacements to show up.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #1732
boatworker
Slow Old Guy

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhicks
Glad they have done a 3 month extension and not a 30 day one. Still waiting for my return paperwork to come. I just hope it doesn't take a long time for the replacements to show up.
I bet the three month extension is a clue as to how long this is going to take.
boatworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #1733
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatworker
I bet the three month extension is a clue as to how long this is going to take.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #1734
tjschul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Possible three month turn around?? Heck with that, I need the thing, that's why I bought it. Mines going back to REI and they can deal with it. I'll buy another.

Anyone else notice the cover lasts about ten minutes before tears appear at the belt slots? (not from using a too large belt either)
tjschul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #1735
mtguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I received the recall packet in the mail yesterday. Dropped the Spot in the padded envelope and mailed it today. Now we'll see how long it takes to get the replacement....
mtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #1736
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
SPOT Shared Pages

Been trying out the Shared Pages iPhone app (Blackberry one also) for SPOT the last few days. Nice little app for friends and family to keep up with ya on the phones. takes the info off your Shared Pages online. The Safari on iPhone doesn't allow you to read the map very well as a webpage. This does well!!

http://www.spot4iphone.com/
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #1737
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtguy
I received the recall packet in the mail yesterday. Dropped the Spot in the padded envelope and mailed it today. Now we'll see how long it takes to get the replacement....
I got my recall packet yesterday. I will say I was very underwhelmed and upset to see a bubble mailer with absolutely no visible tracking information whatsoever. Maybe I was expecting something a little more but when a company has requested me return something I've always gotten a call tag or pre-printed UPS tag that has tracking information. I actually needed that tracking information when Qwest claimed I didn't return a modem. Now I'm supposed to send a $150 SPOT back with no "proof" it got there? Looks like I'm just going have to spend my own money for proper delivery notification.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #1738
mtguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I was a little concerned about the tracking of the package too...I've done what they instructed so hopefully it will work out.
mtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #1739
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn
Been trying out the Shared Pages iPhone app (Blackberry one also) for SPOT the last few days. Nice little app for friends and family to keep up with ya on the phones. takes the info off your Shared Pages online. The Safari on iPhone doesn't allow you to read the map very well as a webpage. This does well!!

http://www.spot4iphone.com/
Think its worth the $2.99 for the iPhone app for just my use?
TavisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #1740
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by TavisB
Think its worth the $2.99 for the iPhone app for just my use?
I would say so. I paid the 5.99. Playing with it while driving (well tracking is on while driving) testing it out. Good to know that they are going through.
I lend mine to the boys mother when they go hiking also, so I can see. Not to mention if you have others you know, or pick up a shared page of someone like Les Stroud you want to "see."
I am hoping for an export points out also soon, instead of having to try to get into SPOT pages, etc. Commenting to the developers on the App Store works...they watch those closely.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote