ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #1771
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
I was at the Outdoor Retailers event in Salt Lake City on Thursday. The guys at the Spot booth said a "couple of weeks yet" before units are ready.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #1772
Just_Jake
You lookin' at me...?

Oddometer: 389
Used my envelope to return my SPOT II. However, the envelope had postage already on it. Great, right? Nope. The postage stamp was dated (1-7-10) days before the date I received the package. As the less than kind USPS worker explained to me, it can only be shipped on the date of the postage.

I had never heard of this, but WTF do I know. I decided the $1.72 wasn't worth the time and effort to call or email SPOT just to get what, $1.72? I just paid the postage and sent the thing back to them.

Wondering what customer service plunder is going to occur next. Really anxious to see what's coming back to me.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #1773
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jake
Wondering what customer service plunder is going to occur next.
Plunder or blunder?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #1774
NoDirt4Me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
This SPOT 2 "recall" is a helluva thing. From the half-assed bubble wrapped, no tracking postage paid envelope to the possibility of getting a refurbished SPOT in exchange.

Mind you, I have no issues with refurbished equipment, in fact, given the choice I will buy refurbished over new. However, the idea of getting a refurbished unit when I paid for a new one CMA.....
NoDirt4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #1775
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
My local Post Office didn't even question the date on the meter impression (at least 2 weeks older than the date I mailed my unit in). The clerk just added the additional postage required for delivery confirmation, and the package was good to go. I paid less than a buck to get the piece of mind of a delivery confirmation.

Re: the packaging, I really didn't care what the packaging was as the packaging was SPOT's and their responsibility. Of course, I will be interested in the packaging for the return unit to me.

Timmer

Quote:
Used my envelope to return my SPOT II. However, the envelope had postage already on it. Great, right? Nope. The postage stamp was dated (1-7-10) days before the date I received the package. As the less than kind USPS worker explained to me, it can only be shipped on the date of the postage.

I had never heard of this, but WTF do I know. I decided the $1.72 wasn't worth the time and effort to call or email SPOT just to get what, $1.72? I just paid the postage and sent the thing back to them.

Wondering what customer service plunder is going to occur next. Really anxious to see what's coming back to me.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #1776
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Hmmmmm....

It looks like my procrastination paid off for once (I have not bought one yet).
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #1777
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I talked to the Spot Rep at the Vancouver Motorcycle Show on Sunday
He said the Spot 2's should be all good by mid February

I guess we will see......
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #1778
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,494
My wife talked to the local REI manager about my new one. They suggested I just hold on this one for a couple weeks until they get in the new ones. Then we can trade with them at that time.
I sure hope I get to use my SPOT before Christmas.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #1779
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 462
I use the SPOT 1 and have had good luck with it. It rides in a RAM mount on the handlebars next to the GPS on the motorcycle, but on the snowmobile it goes inside a Pelican 1020 case inside a backpack. I have no trouble with it in the cockpit on the bike, even if I crash. (I keep it tethered and don't worry so much about accidental 911 activation.)

On the sled, riding in the mountains, we pretty much on purpose spend the day in an argument with the environment, and I see no place in the cockpit for a SPOT on the sled, it's asking for trouble from

1) Accidental damage and loss
2) Accidental 911/"Help" activation (the button exposure issue on gen 1)
3) Accidental separation from the human - a defeat of purpose

I place the unit inside a 1020 case and in the pack it rides facing out, last item in on top, not oriented facing straight up toward the birds. It has never lost track. SPOTcasts here FWIW:

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=186066

Since mountain sled riding is alot like spending a protracted amount of time trading paint in turn 3 at Charlotte Speedway, with trees, snow as deep as your first story garage roof, tree wells, rollovers on purpose for getting sleds unstuck from hillsides and creekbeds and such - it just doesn't pay to tempt fate by running it in the cockpit. So I have had good luck so far with it in the pack, knock on wood.

YMMV.
Good luck.

Rally on,

Stovey

Quote:
I received a Spot II for Christmas. The device is on recall, which prevents me from activating it and testing it myself. I'm looking at some mounting solutions with an emphasis being on water tight, and more secure.

My preference would be to place the Spot in a Pelican 1010 mirco case, which has a clear lid. I could then better mount the pelican case on my bike.

My question is, will the Spot transmit its signal through the clear, plastic lid of the pelican?
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #1780
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,434
Received this today:

Quote:
Dear valued SPOT customer,
Spot LLC appreciates your cooperation in the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (SPOT 2) Product Return Program. We know you are eager to receive your SPOT 2 replacement unit and Spot LLC is dedicated in providing you with the highest quality product as soon as possible.
We are happy to inform you that the testing for replacement SPOT 2 units is nearing completion. We anticipate having more good news with specific timing soon. In efforts to keep you informed on the status of your claim and the SPOT 2 product availability, we will provide you with email updates on a weekly basis. You can also review regular updates at www.findmespot.com/exchange
The Product Replacement Program has been expanded. Please check the ESN number on your SPOT 2 unit (located in the battery compartment) or in your SPOT account. If you have a SPOT 2 unit with an ESN number equal to or below 0-8053925 and have not submitted your SPOT 2 replacement claim, please visit www.findmespot.com/exchange and complete the simple Product Replacement form. All claims must be submitted by March 31 to be eligible for a replacement unit. If you have already submitted your claim, thank you.
Have questions?
Please call toll-free 1 (866) 727-7733 or Email: SPOTexchange@findmespot.com
Thank you for being a SPOT customer. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
The SPOT Team

SPOT LLC
461 S. Milpitas Blvd.
Milpitas, California 95035
US

DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #1781
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 380
Well, I got this today...

Dear SPOT Customer,
We hope that you’ve been enjoying the peace of mind that SPOT provides during your adventures. Effective March 1,
the renewal of your GEOS Member Rescue Benefit Insurance will increase to an annual rate of $12.95 (USD).
The new rate reflects an increased rate change from the insurance underwriters. You do not need to take any action:
GEOS Insurance will automatically renew at the new price of $12.95 (USD) when your service renewal occurs.
As a subscriber to GEOS Insurance, you enjoy the peace of mind of low-cost insurance should you need it to cover
additional rescue services. We strongly recommend the GEOS Insurance service to all customers. Do not assume that
the official emergency services will have the personnel and equipment required available at that critical time when you
need help fast. In some countries, there may not be official help available at all! Even within the United States, you may
be held responsible for the cost of a medical evacuation via helicopter and that cost may not be fully covered by your
insurance. Your $12.95 (USD) investment could save you up to $100,000 (USD) and most importantly, your health and
life. There have also been changes to the GEOS policy terms. For more information on the benefits of GEOS Insurance
and these updated terms and conditions, including changes to the SAR coverage, claims process, covered activities /
territories and policy exclusions, please see here.
Keep on exploring with peace of mind knowing that you are backed by a leading provider of international rescue
benefits!
Enjoy your adventures,
The SPOT Team

It's still a bargain IMO. At least I got in before the increase :)
TavisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #1782
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn
they are still 2 separate units...going to connect through wireless something

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=pn-60
http://gpstracklog.com/2010/01/delor...with-spot.html
Nice direction but smells of a classic first generation product. If you're getting a single point of failure it may as well be in a compact form single device. Plus I'd hate to have to call in with a support issue. Spot support is poor as-is and all you have here is an opportunity for cross finger pointing.

I saw a mockup of the Spot-2 this weekend. I knew it was small but didn't realize it was _that_ much smaller and lighter than the Spot-1.

Single combined unit (for climbing/bc use) would be nice but wonder how the SEND standards will impact the GPS side.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #1783
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Yep, got the GEOS notice today as well.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #1784
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
Yep, got the GEOS notice today as well.
Same here.... got the notice earlier today. I'm not going to complain that much about this small increase. It's worth the money to me.

I also sent another email asking them to confirm that they did get my unit and did actually get a confirmation that it was received on 1/15 (mailed on 1/12). So with the wording of this message it would appear that I *MAY* see a return before March. MAY being the word. Even though, it's a lot more information than I have gotten in the past. I just hope it's soon. Spring is coming up fast.

Dear Robert,

Thank you for contacting Spot customer care.

This is to confirm that we have received your Spot-2 unit on January 15, 2010. We are already working on your case.

At this time, we are unable to provide you a definitive date on when the replacement unit will be mailed to you. Note that the Product Return Program runs from January 2010 to March 2010. You may get the replacement unit between this period.

We are committed to resolving any concerns related to the Product Return Program.

We hope this information helps and if you have additional questions, please do contact us via phone or email.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #1785
gageezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
SPOT in Thailand

I just returned from a trip to Thailand and was very disappointed in my unit's (SPOT 1 - first generation) performance. I turned it on every day before we went for rides, sent OK signals before and after each trip and, when I checked the page to see what I had, I had a total of 58 points, 2 of which were OK signals. It really isn't enough to see where I've been or what roads I took.

I used the unit last year when I rode from my home in Mexico to Barbers in Ala. for Vintage Days and it worked perfect. I understood when I bought the unit that it worked virtually everywhere in the world.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? The SPOT website really sucks. Since I've already got this thing, I'll keep it but, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it.

When people start agreeing with you, it's time to reassess your position.

Often wrong but never in doubt.
gageezer is offline   Reply With Quote