ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #1906
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Can someone post a picture of the Spot II refurb models that might still be out in REI and whatnot with the gap in battery compartment/bad gluing, etc? I want to make sure I don't get one.

Even though I'm BITTERLY opposed to the fact Spot II has a reduced battery life and I am ABSOLUTELY disappointed in the company's handling of the entire situation, I'm still going to pick one up. I do want the better GPS options/features and I have a broke friend leaving soon for a trip to Tierra del Fuego, so I'm going to pick one up and give him my old Spot I for his trip. But I want to make sure I don't get a damn refurb.
Thanks!
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #1907
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Why not just have them open it up and show you? If you can tell it doesn't look right, ask for a different one. Mine was refurbed from REI and only reason I can tell is that there is about an inch area where it would separate it into 2 pieces, that have a small scuffed area. no gaps etc anywhere.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #1908
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn
Why not just have them open it up and show you? If you can tell it doesn't look right, ask for a different one. Mine was refurbed from REI and only reason I can tell is that there is about an inch area where it would separate it into 2 pieces, that have a small scuffed area. no gaps etc anywhere.

I agree. Have them open it up. Hey, it's REI, where most of the time they will bend over backwards to help you out. I doubt they will have any issues if one of the counter clerks opens it for you for an inspection of the product.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #1909
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,391
The guy at Bass Pro had no issue with me looking at the one he had for sale. It was quite visible that this one had been refurbed. There was big glob of clear glue glue on the seal and the battery cover didn't fit evenly.
I'll be looking again next week at REI. I'm quite sure they will let me inspect first as well.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #1910
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Can someone post a picture of the Spot II refurb models that might still be out in REI and whatnot with the gap in battery compartment/bad gluing, etc? I want to make sure I don't get one.

Even though I'm BITTERLY opposed to the fact Spot II has a reduced battery life and I am ABSOLUTELY disappointed in the company's handling of the entire situation, I'm still going to pick one up. I do want the better GPS options/features and I have a broke friend leaving soon for a trip to Tierra del Fuego, so I'm going to pick one up and give him my old Spot I for his trip. But I want to make sure I don't get a damn refurb.
Thanks!
Have you had trouble with your SPOT 1 picking up? Anything other then just tracking? My biggest reason for staying with SPOT 1 is the better battery life. I'm happy with the way it works and love the fact the batteries last a long time.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #1911
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

I am fairly happy with my Spot I, I'd say it tracks at 67-90% and I really will hate downgrading battery life. The reason for the switch to Spot II is that with Spot I, if you want to make sure you track well, you really need to mount it in a RAM mount like I have which brings up the argument of "to carry spot on you with reduced tracking ability, or mount it but potentially not have it if you're thrown from the bike or pinned in some manner". With Spot II's improved chip, it should eliminate that trade off and allow me to have it in a pocket of my jacket and still track well OR if I'm out hiking/mountain biking I can throw it in my backpack and still have it send tracks without too much worry about the receiver pointing up (Spot laying flat). And in a backpack I'll not worry about Spot II having an accidental 911 with it's little cover. And I want to do my friend a favor and give him my Spot I for his upcoming trip (although I'm sure there's rebate programs that could net him a Spot I for practically free).

So major reasons to get Spot II: 3
Reasons to stick with Spot I: 1

If only they'd have let the unit be a LITTLE bigger to accommodate AA instead of AAA's there would be absolutely no trade off involved, but as such there is a trade off, but I do see some greater value in the II, but I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

And yes, I know REI will let me open as many as I want, I've just never yet seen firsthand what a refurb looks like and didn't know just how noticeable it was, so I wanted to make sure I get a new non-refurb in case the differences were harder to notice. Thanks tho, I'm now sure I'll be able to spot a refurb spot if I see one!
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #1912
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,359
i will be testing my spot 2

In Utah next week,I will update upon my return on battery life.Instead of the tracking feature i will send ok messages at every intersection or just past to eliminate the hundreds of tracking points.

thoughts on this?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #1913
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Sounds like it could be some good real world data. Once I actually get mine I'm just going to waste a set of AAA's and leave the thing in tracking mode for however many days it takes to come up with the low battery and then how long beyond that it takes to actually die...

With Spot I, I used it in tracking mode from Venezuela to Guatemala (3000 ish miles over a month and a half of an average of a few hours of use a day) and never got the low battery indicator. I then changed the batteries just to be safe for the duration from Guatemala to Minnesota (about 4,000 miles in one month), that was last summer, and those batteries are still good, but for who knows how long. I rarely use Spot here at home.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 AM   #1914
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj
In Utah next week,I will update upon my return on battery life.Instead of the tracking feature i will send ok messages at every intersection or just past to eliminate the hundreds of tracking points.

thoughts on this?
Why not just do the tracking? I think that's how most of us would use it and I'd like to see some real world experiences on how long the batteries last. I can't remember the exact specifics, but I remember SPOT II sends the 1 or 2 previous track points just in case they got missed. I'd really like to see how it does on a multi-day trip doing tracks for the majority of the day and maybe a few OK's thrown in here and there.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #1915
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,359
awww crap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Why not just do the tracking? I think that's how most of us would use it and I'd like to see some real world experiences on how long the batteries last. I can't remember the exact specifics, but I remember SPOT II sends the 1 or 2 previous track points just in case they got missed. I'd really like to see how it does on a multi-day trip doing tracks for the majority of the day and maybe a few OK's thrown in here and there.
ok ok, i will and delete some of the waypoints that may clutter up the track later!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #1916
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Heck, if your only going 10 mph, SPOT sends every 10 minutes. 6 points within 10 miles, thats about a point every 1.5 miles. I set my GPS to lay down points every mile.
Now go 65 and 75mph.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #1917
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Just to share for no particular reason, I fired off a pretty pissy email to Spot venting out about:
1) the their lack of respect for customers who bought a spot, paid for service and then had to send their units in, it was pretty much a "haha gotcha suckers!" type of situation, that they should have at least sent out an activated Spot 1 so people could have a functioning device until their II was returned..
2) their priorities in regards to making Spot II so much smaller, even at the expense of decreased battery life, so instead of an all around completely improved device, potential upgraders now had to contend with a trade-off decision making process.

Naturally I don't expect the world from a Customer Service Rep, he's just a guy getting paid to answer pissy emails while the upper echelon suits make decisions, but still, I got a prompt and polite response that admitted the company could have and should have done things differently once the recall was on. Meh, Happy? Not really. Satisfied? Sorta.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #1918
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,406
Wow. Picked up a spotII at REI this weekend while we were in the city and got to give it a good test today. Same offroad loop I've been riding with my original spot, same unit location (mostly face up in top of camelback), so a pretty good test. Generally in this location and terrain (steep!) I get roughly 50% tracking success depending on the timing of the tracking signal relative to the terrain with SPOT I. Today I got 100% in a thunderstorm. Due to the lightning, etc I did do fewer loops than usual but I've NEVER seen 100% tracking success over a couple of hours before today. I'm sold on the redundant tracking transmission of the new unit!

It's be interesting to see just how many of these tracking points arrived on the second or third send, but really, it's just so much better than the SPOT1 that I can't quite believe it. I still cover a lot of ground in 10 minutes, but hopefully this means that the "last known good" position, if we ever need it, will be closer to me than the parking lot, which was a distinct possiblity with the SPOT1.

Recommended.

Steve
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #1919
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad
Wow. Picked up a spotII at REI this weekend while we were in the city .......... Today I got 100% in a thunderstorm. Due to the lightning, etc I did do fewer loops than usual but I've NEVER seen 100% tracking success over a couple of hours before today. I'm sold on the redundant tracking transmission of the new unit!

Recommended.

Steve
Any deals, coupons, discounts on the Spot service if you buy the unit from REI?
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #1920
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,406
Not so far as I know. I went there because we were in Berkeley anyway and I know they are good about letting you open stuff up to make sure it's not a refurb. Everything in my neck of the woods is mailorder at best, and I wanted to get my hands on the unit before I spent the $$.

Steve
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote