ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #2251
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,567
For best results, the top of the SPOT unit (the side with the logo) needs to be facing toward the sky, preferably straight up. It has no problem communicating through a layer of plastic (i.e. clear plastic map window, pelican case, etc.), but will not be able to communicate through metal or concrete.

...so if you capsize your concrete canoe, and the SPOT is trapped underneath, you're SOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coteesh
If I were to keep the SPOT 1 or the SPOT 2 unit in my pants pocket, a saddle bag, or a Givi hard top-case, would the SPOT unit still be able to track?
Particularly the SPOT 2. I've heard that the Spot 1 doesn't do so well when it can't see the sky?

If not, I presume it would work under clear plastic window of a tank bag?

Thanks.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #2252
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
As I have said before, I have mine in the inside pocket of a 1.3mm leather jacket, facing out (the Logo), without a missed link yet. Out to San Diego and back through UT this way....NO PROBS!! :
Had phone in the plastic sleeve of the tank bag...gets a little hot in 118 degree weather and plugged in running tunes through the bluetooth.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #2253
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas

I like the idea of your custom message but I am also considering a custom message like this" YOu should be here with me....look at this Glacier, Lake, MT or twisty road..whatever." The msg receivers just zoom in and enjoy one of the highpoints or the day. Also it would be easier when you get back to find that special place to get an overhead.
Mnay folks use the "check-in/OK" message for both purposes.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #2254
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
So I have just started educating myself on the SPOT and it seems the SPOT 2 is for me-I mtn bike, cross country motorcycle and my wife does some hiking all of which I can see using this device. It looks like the price is about $165 but I have seen promo codes being offered to cover the first year of activation. Is that fairly common?
Also, when sending a message, can this message be sent to cell phones as a text message? Any additional advice would be great. Thanks
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #2255
James Adams
Misplaced

The promo codes (easy to find) generally cover the tracking service (normally $50/year), which still leaves you on the hook for the $100/year required basic service. The messages can be sent as text messages as well as email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon
So I have just started educating myself on the SPOT and it seems the SPOT 2 is for me-I mtn bike, cross country motorcycle and my wife does some hiking all of which I can see using this device. It looks like the price is about $165 but I have seen promo codes being offered to cover the first year of activation. Is that fairly common?
Also, when sending a message, can this message be sent to cell phones as a text message? Any additional advice would be great. Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #2256
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster
The promo codes (easy to find) generally cover the tracking service (normally $50/year), which still leaves you on the hook for the $100/year required basic service. The messages can be sent as text messages as well as email.
WOW, that was a quick reply-You are my obi-wan kanobi when it comes to SPOT technology
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #2257
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon
WOW, that was a quick reply-You are my obi-wan kanobi when it comes to SPOT technology
Spot on.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #2258
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster
The messages can be sent as text messages as well as email.
Isn't the message technically a SMS message? Reason I ask is that my son had text but not SMS and if I added him as a recipient, he was going to be charged per message since he wasn't subscribed to that service at the time.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #2259
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
My main issue with SPOT is that it can't seem to map a 6 month trip, only little maps of a one-month maximum. If you don't import your tracks to Spotadventures then they're deleted and there's no way to update the spotadventure maps either, with new data.

In the FAQ it says they have this feature 'planned' but that was written some time ago, doesn't seem like they want to do it.

If I'm wrong about this then someone please correct me as I'm still waiting for a reply from an email I sent to them almost 2 months ago.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #2260
James Adams
Misplaced

"Text messaging" and "SMS" are the same thing. What your wireless provider calls it and how they bill it is up to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Isn't the message technically a SMS message? Reason I ask is that my son had text but not SMS and if I added him as a recipient, he was going to be charged per message since he wasn't subscribed to that service at the time.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #2261
James Adams
Misplaced

http://www.spotwalla.com/ might be a good solution for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJourneyman
My main issue with SPOT is that it can't seem to map a 6 month trip, only little maps of a one-month maximum. If you don't import your tracks to Spotadventures then they're deleted and there's no way to update the spotadventure maps either, with new data.

In the FAQ it says they have this feature 'planned' but that was written some time ago, doesn't seem like they want to do it.

If I'm wrong about this then someone please correct me as I'm still waiting for a reply from an email I sent to them almost 2 months ago.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #2262
bhb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Hey guys.

How much should spot2's be selling for these days? $150? less?
bhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #2263
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:

Oh wow thanks, this looks to be exactly what I was after.

Even better, it's not covered with SPOT advertising!
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #2264
James Adams
Misplaced

Happy to help.

Quote:

Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #2265
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:

You can download all the waypoints to YOUR computer, also. And do with them as you like.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote