ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #2311
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,147
Wandering SPOT

Alright you high tech gurus....I gotta question. I was setting up my "Every Trails" page yesterday evening which links to my SPOT information and displays it a little differently (and better in my opinion) than the SPOT
page.

Open the "My SPOT Page" link in my signature and tell me why the breadcrumbs are moving all over my property when the SPOT wasn't moved? I am guessing it is the earths rotation and the SPOT connecting to different satellites as the earth rotates...but I don't know for sure.

The unit was sitting still, logo oriented toward the sky, unobstructed in any way. Cross posted in the "GPS" thread.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #2312
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
My GPS does the same thing. Huge cluster of points where the unit sat in my pack while out working on mountain bike trail. And a slightly different scenerio: took the gps along on the kayak. Actually had an elevation profile of over 10 meters on a lake. Just the GPS picking up and dropping satellites. Normal.
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #2313
larry manton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Yes they work

As hammer stated on page 153. They say the old type which I own is larger but gets signals stronger, have no way to prove just the word on the street, if so I'll carry the larger old one. One huge word of advice if you buy treat yourself to the 12 dollar airlift out, and you can put any family member one but the caviate is it has to be done at time of initial purchase. In the case Hammer refured to his bills once reaching Grande Junction exceeded 80K. I'm sure some of that was ER related but the lift out I'm sure was 25K.

I use it everywhere and have it placed on my left shoulder as I can still reach it when fairly immoble. The other option is spring for another 50 which sends signals constantly varifying you position but not 911 if you are unconcious.

Sat phones also rent for about 40 per week which would be a good investment if going somewhere remote.
larry manton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #2314
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,834
I've posted up a question in the Spotwalla thread. Can anyone assist? Thanks. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=25
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #2315
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster View Post
The promo codes (easy to find) generally cover the tracking service (normally $50/year), which still leaves you on the hook for the $100/year required basic service. The messages can be sent as text messages as well as email.
So what is the yearly cost of using a Spot 2? What I read above conflicts with what I see on the Spot website, which says $99 a year. I don't see separate "tracking service" and "basic service" fees on their website.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #2316
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,992
Basic service: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103 ($99.99/yr)
Additional services: http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=110

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
So what is the yearly cost of using a Spot 2? What I read above conflicts with what I see on the Spot website, which says $99 a year. I don't see separate "tracking service" and "basic service" fees on their website.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #2317
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Having read thru this thread and various other places, it sounds like Spot is a good product but the companies customer service is not the greatest.

Just curious, has anybody purchased the optional GEOS Member Rescue Benefit for $12.95 a year and then actually had to use it? If so, I'm just curious if you were 100% covered for the potentially costly rescue, or if there was "fine print" that left you on the hook for part or all of the rescue expense?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #2318
larry manton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
12.95 per year

Morning GotMojo, and as several have mentioned the info is a little confusing. I have boughten so many products I lose track but as I recall and could be wrong (a lot actually) but the yearly fee is 100 and the insurance is 12.95 per family member. As I stated the problem is if you don't activate this at original time of purchace it is like 50 to 150 per year for the same insurance, and I just read that the other day.

Have I used the insurance the answere is NO, as the use of my unit was helping another individual in Moab May 2010. I guess I would still be inclined to buy the 12.95 and then fight it out in court, come what may. I do know that when a heli flight is launched it's quite large.
larry manton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #2319
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Oddometer: 625
Here's my Spot page from today's ride.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Og7qqTrxULGYI9

This is pretty disappointing! Not a single signal from 11:55 am until I stopped at 1:26 pm. That was my entire ride back down FS77 and up FS28-1 and FS42 all the way over to hwy 60! I also hit the OK button while I was stopped and that didn't register either. My renewal is due in January. I'm going to speak to the Spot people before I decide to renew this.

When I die, show no pity, send my soul to Juggalo City.
Dig my grave six feet deep and put two Sidi's on my feet.
Put some leather over my chest and tell my family I did my best!
HiJincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #2320
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
better recheck your page. I see em :
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #2321
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
better recheck your page. I see em :
Just did, nothing from 11:55am until 1:26pm. #8 was at 11:55 and #9 was at 1:26.

I know someone will ask , so here's a pic of my mount:

It's facing straight up towards the sky on a Ram handlebar mount. I've tried it on the rear rack and clipped to a Camelbak with similar results. Unless it's mounted on top of a helmet, our body is going to block some section of the sky from the receiver. I wonder if they have thought about a thin, stick on antenna with a detachable cable. Then we could mount the antenna on top of our helmets and place the rest of the unit in a pocket or clip it to our jacket. That would solve the other problem of getting thrown from the bike in a wreck and still be able to press the SOS button.

HiJincs screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 08:00 PM
Old 12-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #2322
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
this is what I see .....
Attached Images

List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #2323
HiJincs
Wanna' B Hooligan

Well Hell, I see something completely different. I can't figure out how to past what I see like you did.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #2324
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJincs View Post
Well Hell, I see something completely different. I can't figure out how to past what I see like you did.
Assuming you're on a PC:use "print screen" button to capture what you see. Open Paint, select EDIT > paste > "save as" somewhere you'll find whatever you named it. POST here. Should work. Hope I got right.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #2325
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,992
There's still a gap in the messages, it just depends on what time zone you're in.