ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #3121
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
If you are recording your tracks with a GPS, just make sure the time on your camera is correct and you can go back after the fact and geotag your photo's once you get back home. I found a cool program called GPicSync that even creates a Google Earth File. It works pretty well.

If your SPOT Adventure page is already setup, you can also go back after the fact and create a trip on the SPOT Adventure page. Enjoy your trip and worry about it when you return home.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #3122
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
If you are recording your tracks with a GPS, just make sure the time on your camera is correct and you can go back after the fact and geotag your photo's once you get back home. I found a cool program called GPicSync that even creates a Google Earth File. It works pretty well.

If your SPOT Adventure page is already setup, you can also go back after the fact and create a trip on the SPOT Adventure page. Enjoy your trip and worry about it when you return home.
Microsoft Pro Photo Tool, works with any GPS that saves and exports, you just need to synch up the clocks in advance, add geotags days or months later.

http://freegeographytools.com/2008/m...eotagging-tool
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #3123
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
make a quick waypoint on your GPS - more accurate than the SPOT.
As long as there's a gps keeping tracks, then the photos can be geotagged by software later as long as the camera has the right date and time. I used to use http://robogeo.com to tag my photos after the trip.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #3124
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

BTW, if you ever need to do a batch edit on your pictures to adjust the date/time, I have found that Exifer works great. It hasn't been updated in years, but it still works great.

You only need some sort of reference on what the actual time should be.
Sometimes what I'll do is take a picture of the time on the GPS and then you figure out how far ahead/behind your time stamp is and adjust accordingly. This also works great for when my wife and I are both taking pics and undoubtedly the time on our camera's isn't exact. Again, taking a pic of the GPS with both camera's tells me how far off each one and I can use this program to get the time stamps down to within a second or two of the actual time and then sorting them by date/time taken puts all the pics in chronological order.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #3125
dulinor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Looks like my SPOT has died - seems to get GPS tracking OK, but can't send an OK message after multiple tries/locations/batteries.

While I wait for response on repair services (it's out of warranty / over 1 year old) anyone know if the service is transferrable to the Connect? If I just have to suck it up and replace it, I'd consider getting the newer unit if it's a straight upgrade. Does it still have the "HELP" button in case my phone is dead?

Of course my service *just* renewed for another year like two weeks ago.
dulinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 AM   #3126
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulinor View Post
Looks like my SPOT has died - seems to get GPS tracking OK, but can't send an OK message after multiple tries/locations/batteries.

While I wait for response on repair services (it's out of warranty / over 1 year old) anyone know if the service is transferrable to the Connect? If I just have to suck it up and replace it, I'd consider getting the newer unit if it's a straight upgrade. Does it still have the "HELP" button in case my phone is dead?

Of course my service *just* renewed for another year like two weeks ago.
Yes,you can transfer to a new unit.Cost is small or nothing,depending on renewal.Can be done online thru you SPOT homepage,under my SPOT devices/upgrade SPOT device.

JR356

JR356 screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 01:21 AM
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #3127
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
External Power Supply

Well, after a few months thinking about it I have finally gone and done it.

My aim unlike another poster, was to externally power the unit, install rechargeable batteries that would be charged while on the bike. But also, because my SPOT sits in a cradle on the dashboard, it is connected to me via a lanyard. If the bike and I part company, I want the SPOT with me and this function has been tested during a crash a few years back. But, I also want the power supply to be disconnected, so that the unit has two fully charged batteries and they should last a few days.

The main issue for me was getting a power supply that would deliver 3V, at a reasonable current rating, then making it a quick connect/disconnect feature.(although if the wires were to break, it would not unduly worry me as I would be in worse shape most likely)

I managed to find the exact module I needed, a 12V - 3V converter at 1.5A, which is quite a bit higher than what I needed but was right there, already made in a package :)

I then installed that under the seat, ran cable to the front of the bike where the SPOT sits in the RAM mount, then drilled a hole in the back battery case, connected two wires to the battery terminals, sealed the entry and connected to the power supply, works like a charm :)

I am currently acquiring some smaller waterproof connectors, I did not like the original ones I had, and once that is done, I will post some pictures for you all.

The taste test will be the charging ability and then the life of the rechargeable batteries after power source disconnect.

So, this has not been fully tested as yet, but I will update as things progress.

Cheers
TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 01:25 AM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #3128
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,953
Can't wait to see the pics!
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #3129
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,752

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #3130
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Well, maybe I will hold off on the pictures as I think I just cooked the SPOT :(

It looks like it is still working(LEDs light up) but there are no OKs nor tracks coming through after the first half hour of my test run.

There were a couple of issues I found that needs to be seen to for any future mod.

1. When the batteries are low and are charging, then the red LED flashes until the batteries are fully charged, not a big problem imho.

2. When the bike is turned off, the batteries discharge backwards into the bike system. I would need to add a diode to stop this, but I would then lose 0.6V and so my power supply needs to now be 3.6V to compensate, this is the major issue.

3. Normal rechargeable batteries are 1.2V, so two of these are 2.4V and I was using 3V, so this may cause a heat issue over a long period.

Due to the above, I will probably have to replace my SPOT. I think it may have been the battery charging that caused the problem. If the other chap who also powered his can tell me if his is still working that would help. His was only powered from the bike, no batteries were involved.

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #3131
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post

I managed to find the exact module I needed, a 12V - 3V converter at 1.5A, which is quite a bit higher than what I needed but was right there, already made in a package :)

I then installed that under the seat, ran cable to the front of the bike where the SPOT sits in the RAM mount, then drilled a hole in the back battery case, connected two wires to the battery terminals, sealed the entry and connected to the power supply, works like a charm :)
My Spot2 uses three AAA batteries at 1.5v each x3 = 4.5v (a bit more in real life though)
and you're using 3 volts instead? What model Spot are you using?
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #3132
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
My Spot2 uses three AAA batteries at 1.5v each x3 = 4.5v (a bit more in real life though)
and you're using 3 volts instead? What model Spot are you using?
Probably the Spot1. It runs on 2AA batteries, so 3v.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #3133
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
TravellingStrom, please correct me if I'm mistaken in any of my statements. It seems that you are attempting to provide 3 volts DC to the Spot in order to keep the rechargable batteries in it charged, and also power the unit, correct?

I am not even remotely close to bing any sort of electrical engineer, but you cannot simply throw voltage at a battery in order to charge it. I mean, you can, but the batteries will simply keep charging and charging, eventually overcharging and damaging the batteries, and with the setup it appears you are running, possibly the circuitry providing the voltage to the unit. All modern electronics that can be run off of an external power supply and also charge internal batteries at the same time (cell phones, GPS, etc) have circuitry to both charge the batteries as well as monitor them to prevent overcharging.

I think that the concept of hooking an external power supply to the SPOT is doable, but when you pop batteries into the picture, the device is missing crucial circuitry to prevent everything from getting cooked.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #3134
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Im thinking it might be easier to rig a battery charger and carry two sets of rechargeables.. and the charger. Would be versatile. To your other battery needs..wonder. what the charge rate would be?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #3135
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclebudinTX View Post
Im thinking it might be easier to rig a battery charger and carry two sets of rechargeables.. and the charger. Would be versatile. To your other battery needs..wonder. what the charge rate would be?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
Good call. I like that idea. Everything that I have or carry with me that uses batteries, I always ensure that they use AA cells. I have a cig-lighter charger and can hook it up in my tank bag to keep a set charged all of the time. That seems like the easiest, cleanest, and surest method. Don't have to worry about blowing up the SPOT, and it's not like you'd have to change batteries everything day (or even week).