ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #3196
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Or the Sat view of the OK email/text.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #3197
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefyj View Post
A quick question...
Does the OK function send location to the receipents? Or just OK somewhere?
This may be addressed on here but not able to find it in search...
Yes, it sends coordinates of your location.

As a check that your OK messages are going out, you can add your own cell number to your contacts list. When you press the OK button, you'll receive a text message on your cell phone, if or when you get cell coverage.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #3198
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Yes, it sends coordinates of your location.

As a check that your OK messages are going out, you can add your own cell number to your contacts list. When you press the OK button, you'll receive a text message on your cell phone, if or when you get cell coverage.

daryl
That only works in America afaik. It is not set up for SMS anywhere else yet but I am happy to stand corrected if I am wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #3199
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Either ten OK emails or texts or combination of the two.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #3200
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,135
I can't find the 'Create an Adventure' button on the SPOT site. Their search doesn't find it, even though it's their term.

I'm logged into the findmespot.com/spotadventures, no create button there, click on 'take me to the new SPOT Adventures' button and I end up on the SPOT Adventures page with 57,557 adventures but no create button.

Edit:
Q: How do I create an adventure using my tracking data from my SPOT device?
A: Log-in to SPOT Adventures and click on "Create an Adventure," select the SPOT device used, title the adventure, and select the start and end dates of the SPOT messages, waypoints or tracks that you want to import for the adventure you are creating. ...

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 04:42 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #3201
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
An interesting news article from Australia but equally applicable elsewhere for many ADVRider readers about the misuse of EPIRBs in Australia. What stands out to me is the gap between mobile phone service, which is very limited in remote areas in Australia, and an EPIRB activation which indicates a full blown MAYDAY situation. Pretty clearly this is the gap the SPOT is able to fill.

By the way, the article mentions 248,000 registered beacons in Australia, which with a population of about 21 million equates to one EPIRB per 86 people. I have no idea what the figures area elswhere, but when I searched this site for , roughly half the threads were in the Australia regional forum.

Broken-down drivers misuse beacons

STRANDED drivers are using emergency locator beacons as a virtual roadside service, summoning helicopters and rescue teams to help with minor engine trouble or bogged cars, according to authorities.
Figures from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, which co-ordinates all signals from distress beacons, show Australians are increasingly misusing the devices and the national system set up to respond.
More than 248,000 emergency beacons are registered in Australia, with nearly 5000 registered to ACT owners. So far this year, 1700 have been triggered nationally, of which 266 resulted in searches, with only 109 found to be genuine emergencies.
A map of where the beacons are being activated shows many are being triggered in capital cities or urban areas.
An AMSA spokeswoman said there had been 400 inadvertent activations and 21 confirmed hoaxes so far this year. Some signals have been traced to rubbish dumps where signals from older 121.5MHz frequency devices that have been thrown out and triggered have been picked up by passing aircraft.
This month, Portland police launched a rescue operation in response to a beacon set off in a state forest and thrown into a dam.
In December, a rescue helicopter was sent to Tasmania's west coast chasing a lost beacon that had been activated by wave action. West Australian police have already successfully prosecuted and recovered rescue costs from those maliciously triggering devices.
The changeover to the 406Mhz frequency has also led to problems with parents thinking signals from older devices would no longer be picked up and giving them to children.
"The ease of use of the distress beacon can make it the first, rather than the last, line of requesting assistance," the spokeswoman said.
"Unfortunately we have seen misuse of the distress beacon system through drivers activating their beacons due to minor engine trouble [or becoming] bogged or broken down in areas where there is no other means of gathering assistance."
Australia has the highest per capita use of distress beacons in the world, with more than 3000 new devices registered every month. While authorities are eager to encourage their take-up to protect lives, the cost of sending helicopters and rescue teams to hoaxes or false alarms risks putting a dent in rescue budgets.
The Snowy Hydro SouthCare helicopter that services the Canberra and southern NSW area was called to nine non-medical search and rescues last financial year. Fully laden with staff and equipment, the helicopter costs about $6000 an hour to operate.
Chief executive Owen Finegan said the cost of responding to false alarms needed to be balanced against the cost of searching for those who did not have the proper equipment with them, such as a search that lasted for three days late last year for a woman trapped in her car near Tumut.
"You obviously can't carry them with you all the time and the majority of people do take risks into consideration, but accidents can still happen even when well-prepared, so we encourage people to carry beacons when going into the bush or out in a boat where they might need them," Mr Finegan said.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #3202
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
Anyone ever have their SPOT stop tracking/unable to find satellite? I bought mine when they were $50 from Best Buy and purchased the tracking option for my Mexico trip. It worked fine sending emails and texts when I first got it as we'll as testing it before I left for Mexico. The tracking worked my first day down into Mexico and then I turned it off for the night and the next day turned it back on. I thought it was tracking, because it always has when I just press the tracking button. I was away from Internet and phone services for some time and not until I was able to contact home, did I find out that my tracking stopped and the GPS light flashes red. My friends and family thought something happened to me and the whole reason for purchasing the spot was to not give them anxiety when I travel solo. I tried again today on a solo trip and still no tracking or email features working. The GPS light flashes red and the SPOT website says I need to be open view of the sky. All times I've used the spot, I've been under clear skies and no tree or mountain cover. I'd like to know if this is user error or something I should contact SPOT about? I'm thinking its user error, but you never know.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #3203
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Anyone ever have their SPOT stop tracking/unable to find satellite?...
Sounds like a defect. I'd contact spot right away, hopefully still under warranty. Good luck.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #3204
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

How new are the batteries maybe chuck in a new set just to be ultra sure

Is your a version 2or the original?

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #3205
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
How new are the batteries maybe chuck in a new set just to be ultra sure

Is your a version 2or the original?

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Threw in new lithiums and still have same results. Mines the version 2. I guess I'll see what Spot says on Monday.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:37 AM   #3206
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Threw in new lithiums and still have same results. Mines the version 2. I guess I'll see what Spot says on Monday.
Fair enough, I know the version 2 system is slightly different with other features, I am only good with version 1

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 09-22-2012, 04:42 AM   #3207
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Fair enough, I know the version 2 system is slightly different with other features, I am only good with version 1
The biggest difference I found, going from a V1 to V2 is that the V2 requires a good 5 second press and hold on the buttons when you use 'em. And the buttons are so recessed that I have to use a fingernail to push them.

I can still do it with gloves on but it's not easy.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 06:01 AM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #3208
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The biggest difference I found, going from a V1 to V2 is that the V2 requires a good 5 second press and hold on the buttons when you use 'em. And the buttons are so recessed that I have to use a fingernail to push them.

I can still do it with gloves on but it's not easy.
When I push a button (on, tracking, OK), I use a fingernail and hold until the selected button flashes green.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #3209
stingraysktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Anyone ever have their SPOT stop tracking/unable to find satellite? I bought mine when they were $50 from Best Buy.
I bought one of the $50 deals too. It worked great for a few months but then stopped working (unable to find a satellite). I called up the Spot folks and they sent me a new one. Even an orange one which wasn't available with the $50 deal.

Give them a call.
stingraysktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #3210
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
So it seems the Spot II is now available readily for $99 all over the internet. I can get a Spot II through promotive.com for $149 with one year of coverage, now math may not be my strongest skill but I cant find a reason not to buy it through promotive??