ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #3211
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
So it seems the Spot II is now available readily for $99 all over the internet. I can get a Spot II through promotive.com for $149 with one year of coverage, now math may not be my strongest skill but I cant find a reason not to buy it through promotive??
Depends. The basic coverage is about $50, and tracking is about $100. If their offer includes both basic and tracking for $150, then it works out to a free Spot unit.

I find tracking useless though, and stopped purchasing it after my first year of service was over. I found it just killed batteries too quickly. I now use Ok often while riding.

The other thing I don't like about tracking is that people watching my track need to go to the site to see where I am, but Ok messages send active notifications to email or phone recipients. And of course that same web map page.

That's much more valuable to me than tracking.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 08:08 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #3212
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Depends. The basic coverage is about $50, and tracking is about $100. If their offer includes both basic and tracking for $150, then it works out to a free Spot unit.

I find tracking useless though, and stopped purchasing it after my first year of service was over. I found it just killed batteries too quickly. I now use Ok often while riding.

The other thing I don't like about tracking is that people watching my track need to go to the site to see where I am, but Ok messages send active notifications to email or phone recipients.

That's much more valuable to me than tracking.
good information..thanks..yes it does include tracking and basic coverage.. before everyone rushes to promotive.com be aware that it is a Prodeal website and you need certain qualifications to become a member... police, firemen, military, or work at one of the companies that they allow in.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #3213
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
So it seems the Spot II is now available readily for $99 all over the internet. I can get a Spot II through promotive.com for $149 with one year of coverage, now math may not be my strongest skill but I cant find a reason not to buy it through promotive??
I met and talked for a while with a SPOT rep a couple of months ago and, while remaining coy, suggested that a new SPOT device may be out in time for xmas this year, perhaps the reason for the lowered prices.

He also intimated that it would be like the SPOT Connect but with more user friendly buttons like the SPOT 2.

The SPOT Connect has only 2 buttons; power and 911. All other functions require the use of a smart phone to use and activate, making the process a bit unwieldy (boot up the phone, bluetooth connections, etc). So perhaps a new SPOT device may have more buttons than a SPOT Connect to allow easy use of tracking, OK messages, etc., but also allow use of a bluetooth smartphone to type and send a custom message?

I own both a SPOT 2 and a SPOT Connect. For the reasons above, I take the SPOT 2 with me and leave the SPOT Connect at home.

I would also like to see some sort of message received aknowledgement, at least for messages other than tracking.
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #3214
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlee View Post

I would also like to see some sort of message received aknowledgement, at least for messages other than tracking.
If you add your own cell phone number in with the wifes it also serves as a aknowledgement device, as long as you have cell service....
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #3215
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlee View Post
I met and talked for a while with a SPOT rep a couple of months ago and, while remaining coy, suggested that a new SPOT device may be out in time for xmas this year, perhaps the reason for the lowered prices.
Glad to hear this, sounds like many of the features that the Delorme inReach has, which I think is a good thing.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #3216
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraysktm View Post
I bought one of the $50 deals too. It worked great for a few months but then stopped working (unable to find a satellite). I called up the Spot folks and they sent me a new one. Even an orange one which wasn't available with the $50 deal.

Give them a call.
Called them yesterday and they had me send it in for replacement under warranty. They said the SOS feature still would've worked, but I have my doubts and don't think I'll ever trust a SPOT for emergency use.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #3217
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
I hate the idea of disposable batteries. I don't understand why SPOTs don't come with a rechargable battery pack, like phones, cameras, walkie talkies, etc.

I didn't find Lithium rechargable AAA batteries, but did find the NiMH AAA batteries. They are said to be good at -10c degrees. They are 1.2 volts each. Will they work?

If not, does anybody have a rechargable battery solution?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #3218
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
SPOT USB Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I hate the idea of disposable batteries. I don't understand why SPOTs don't come with a rechargable battery pack, like phones, cameras, walkie talkies, etc.

I didn't find Lithium rechargable AAA batteries, but did find the NiMH AAA batteries. They are said to be good at -10c degrees. They are 1.2 volts each. Will they work?

It appears to be all about battery discharge curve. If you look up the data sheets on the battery types only the specified batteries have a very flat curve. My guess is that the SPOT won't run reliably on reduced voltage.
If you want to use your SPOT just for tracking you might consider doing what I did and convert it to USB power.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3073
I now have two SPOTs one for tracking and the other I carry with me, not on my bike for emergencies.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #3219
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:

1.2v will not work. The Lithiums are 1.5v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #3220
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:

Well, if out on a 2 week hike, or someplace where charging is impossible, or impracticle, 3 extra aaa's are light and take little space and assure you will have a functional device.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #3221
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

I went ahead and bought a pack of Lithium AAA's since everybody said they last for a long time.

I don't own a GPS yet and am looking forward to using the Spot for flagging the deadend trails I explore to see if I can figure out how to connect some of them together. It will be nice to get an idea of where I've been "on the map".
Old 10-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #3222
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,124
Glenn, you will likely be disappointed using the Spot in that manner, especially if in the woods. It can take 10+ minutes for an okay signal to get out, and that's after it makes a lock. a GPS sounds like it should be in your future soon, even if it's just a cheap one that doesn't have bells and whistles. Even a cheap hand held that connects to a PC (some old Magellans don't) will record tracks and waypoints and let you see where you've been later.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #3223
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Well.....darn.

I thought that the "ok" button would tag whenever I press it. I didn't realize I'd have to wait around 10 minutes for it to register. I don't usually stop for that long, unless I'm not "ok". I bought the Spot because I often ride alone.

Guess I'll study up on which GPS will do what I need.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #3224
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Well.....darn.

I thought that the "ok" button would tag whenever I press it. I didn't realize I'd have to wait around 10 minutes for it to register. I don't usually stop for that long, unless I'm not "ok". I bought the Spot because I often ride alone.

I'm with the others that you'll generally have better luck with a GPS. Even one of the older ones that most people consider obsolete like the GPS III/III+ GPS V, some older extrex hiking ones, etc. They all record track logs you can go back and look at later on a PC.

However, that doesn't mean all is lost with the SPOT. It does take 10-20 mins for it to send a full 3 tries of the OK, but my experience is it does tend to send the OK pretty close to the location you first pressed the button.

although I haven't tried it like you want to, my experience is that where I physically press the OK button, regardless of how long it takes for the ok message to come through, the location that comes through is pretty close to where I pressed the button?

It just might take some playing around to see what you find?

BTW, if you add your own cell number to your OK list and have cell service, you can easily see when the OK comes through which sometimes can be very quickly after you push it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #3225
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Well.....darn.

If the SPOT II has enough GPS satellites in view to know where it is (the status LEDs will tell you that.), it stores its current location when you hit "OK".

It may take up to 10 minutes for the SPOT II to send that location to GlobalStar (SPOT) satellite because they aren't any in view when you hit "OK". The SPOT II stores its last three locations when tracking until it can establish communction with a GS satellite. It will then send the last three locations.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote