ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #3481
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,208
I Forgot "406Link"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
I think it all depends on what you want out of it.

If you want to ride where there's great overhead view of the sky (as in, not heavily forested) to track your location for people to see online and coordinate a rescue for you...then the Spot or the DeLorme InReach SE are the way to go.

If you want government Search and Rescue to be sent your GPS coordinates and an active locator beacon to zero in on you in the event of a critical emergency, then a personal locator beacon (PLB) is the way to go.

Just went through the pros/cons for my own purchase of a device, bought the ACR ResQLink from the gpsstore.com for $249.

If you buy right now, ACR has a rebate offer where they'll send you a dry bag, signal mirror, strobe light, and a 1 year membership to the 406link site. I sent in my paperwork and got my stuff within 10 days. Website says it's good through May 31st.
http://www.acrartex.com/landing/2014-spring-promo/
The 406Link has more options for the PLB...Long/Lat locator and an "I am OK" message in addition to the "emergency, come get me" signal....forgot to mention those options..
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #3482
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 220
spot Gen3

I ride in the California desert a lot. I've been saying that I need to get one of these for quite awhile. Finally got it last week and set it up. I since I go kind of fast, I opted for the additional $50 on top of the basic $150 registration fee so that it could track every 5 minutes. I don't think I needed the 2 1/2 minute ping. I also have my wife as the check in OK button. The next "help' button is below emergency level that goes to my wife, my son and my neighbor who also is a dual sporter and they can find me to help me. The 911 is common sense. I also annotated my blood type and who my insurance provider is. I also opted for the additional GIOS that you may sign up for upon initial installation. I tried it out last Saturday going to the mall shopping. Works good. Now, I'm just looking at how to mount it on my jacket and came across this thread. Good luck. Oh, and yes, I like mine!!

08 KTM 990S, 08 Husky TE610,
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #3483
misha
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Can't activate used Spot 2

I bought a used Spot 2 from an inmate on this forum. Tried to activate it and got a message about the ESN already in use.

Suggestions?
misha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #3484
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by misha View Post
I bought a used Spot 2 from an inmate on this forum. Tried to activate it and got a message about the ESN already in use.

Suggestions?
Ask the inmate to deactivate his account, or call SPOT

Customer Care:
1 (866) OK1-SPOT
1 (866) 651-7768

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #3485
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,161
Gen 2

batteries last a good while

tracking is extra but spot on

creative use of the message function allows you to notify
family or friends of need or deviations to trip

Never had to use the "red" button though.

YMMV
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #3486
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
3rd year with a Gen II and I have no complaints. Works as advertised. Caveat - I haven't had to push either of the protected buttons. The value of their function hopefully remains a mystery for me.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #3487
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
I have a SPOT gen 2 device that I bought and activated last year. At time of activation I purchased the GEOS rescue benefit for an additional $12.95 and basic tracking for $49.99 then I used a coupon code I found on ADV for a free year of tracking. My annual renewal is about to come up and I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to figure out from their website:

1. The GEOS benefit has gone up to $17.95 per year according to the SPOT and the GEOS website. Will I be charged the current price of $17.95 during my renewal as I suspect I will, or am I grandfathered in at my previous price of $12.95?

2. Since I added basic tracking to my account for $49.99 when I activated it then used a coupon code to get a free year of tracking, which then deducted that charge (but not the service) from my invoice, will the auto renew include an additional $49.99 for tracking since that service is on my account?

3. I like having the tracking option, but I don't actually use it so it's good to have for free, but not worth the 50 bucks a year for me. I know there are current coupon codes all over the internet to get a free year of tracking, so is there a way for me to somehow use a coupon code to get another year of tracking when they auto renew? If not, how do I go about removing the tracking option from my account all together so I am not billed for it?

Thanks
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #3488
SmilinDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
New Spot Device...broken?

I ordered a Gen2 Spot from Amazon for $75 since I'm not interested in any of the new features. It arrived today, and I couldn't get the thing to power up. PITA. I grabbed a multimeter to make sure the batteries weren't junk. They all read fine. Then I tried to take a reading across all of them. Nothing...

One half of one of the daisy-chained battery terminals was broken off and missing. The packaging looked new, so this might have come from the factory like this. I had already activated it too. Grumble. So I spent an hour fab'ing up a positive terminal and soldering it to the other half of that terminal. We'll see how well it holds up to off road use. Maybe I need to add a butane soldering iron to my tool roll. :)
SmilinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #3489
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Spot Trace GPS Tracker Free after rebate, service activation required

Saw this on another forum:

Spot Trace GPS Tracker $99.95 most places such as Amazon and there is a $100 rebate with service activation http://spot.rebateaccess.com/promotion.php?p=54753

Looks like basic activation is $100 a year.

Get it while it's hot!
outlaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #3490
blueridgegs
make time to ride

Oddometer: 742
Spot2 on Sale

Saw today that Best Buy has the Spot2 for $45 with free shipping.

blueridgegs screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 11:42 PM Reason: added free shippimg
blueridgegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #3491
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Planning a trip out west and I'm wondering if you can just buy 1 month of service and then store the device until it's needed again, and buy another month or so of service?
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #3492
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

If I buy a Spot am I able to buy a month's worth of service and then stuff it in a drawer until it's needed again (and buy another month's worth of service)? I just noticed the monthly pricing and that'd be a pretty big sell if so.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #3493
blueridgegs
make time to ride

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
If I buy a Spot am I able to buy a month's worth of service and then stuff it in a drawer until it's needed again (and buy another month's worth of service)? I just noticed the monthly pricing and that'd be a pretty big sell if so.

The monthly Spot is kind of a joke.
You still have to have a one year contract, but you pay a 14.99 payment each month vs the 149.99 one time payment (Spot3 basic pricing example).
blueridgegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #3494
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

That's what I figured. They'd lose out on a lot of money if people only had to pay for the service when they actually needed it...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #3495
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBone View Post
That's what I figured. They'd lose out on a lot of money if people only had to pay for the service when they actually needed it...
And some people would not have service when they thought they did because they missed that month's payment...

If you really only want to pay for a month's service, you could rent a Spot. Scratch that - who wants to pay $100 for one month of coverage...

I think Spot's a bargain at $100 per year. I only have basic service on Spot I and II devices. No need for tracking.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote