ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #601
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by j916
This whole thing of PLB vs SPoT started me thinking about how one may use the devices. With the PLB one needs to be conscious to activate it after an emergency. The same goes for the SPoT. However one advantage I see with the SPoT if used in track mode would be that at some point after an accident someone would know your general location due to the last tracked point. This last location would be available to searchers regardless of the state of either the SPoT or the user.
When AirbornAndy was doing the Baja 1000 we could see where he fell off and lost his Spot and when it was found and taken for a tour of the backyards of a nearby Mexican town
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #602
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,447
whatever happened to Airborn Andy, he was an inspiration.
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #603
BuellDualSport
Banned

Oddometer: 891
Thumb Airborne Andy

Never had the pleasure of knowing the Gentleman, know a couple Airborne Rangers but that was a different time and different place.

AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY, SARGENT

101st Airborne Screaming Chickens
1964 - 1972
BuellDualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #604
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags
whatever happened to Airborn Andy, he was an inspiration.
Hasn't posted since December and last logged in at the end of April.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #605
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
According to the Spot website, this thing weighs about 7.3 ounces. I was thinking of using some 3M Dual Lock to mount it to the top of my topcase. Anyone think this might not be secure enough? I've also thought about drilling a single hole in the top of the case and securing a velcro strap that could also be used to hold the Spot. I thought this might give the unit the best chance of an unobstructed view of the sky.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #606
Jonasolof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
For further informed decisions, a PLB406 test:

http://www.jkmax.co.uk/mcmurdo_fastf..._plb_test.html
Jonasolof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #607
Jonasolof
Adventurer

PLB 406 in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
As of January 2008, ...they're still not legal and legalisation still some time off, if at all, according to the article I picked up on Google.

Cheers.
I didn't read the link until now. The article and the concerns of the british mountain rescue teams in the comments raise some pertinent questions regarding false alerts. Whereas the SPoT would come in as a conventient substitute for a PLB 406 until and if the PLB 406 devices would be permitted for land use in the UK, it is also true that the SPoT would appear to be more prone to false alerts simply because it is so easy to press the 911 button by mistake or mischief. I can't see that there should be any difference in reaction would the distress signal come from GEOS or the CORSAT structure. From the mountin rescue teams point of view (judged by some reactions) it would be better to permit PLBs and prohibit the SPoT.

It appears that PLB 406 devices have more safeguards against being activated unduly. It'll be interesting to compare the number of false alerts from PLBs to those of the SPOt in the future. I for one think there should be more safeguards against non appropriate activation of the SPoT.

Jonasolof screwed with this post 05-16-2008 at 08:27 AM
Old 05-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #608
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasolof
I didn't read the link until now. The article and the concerns of the british mountain rescue teams in the comments raise some pertinent questions regarding false alerts. Whereas the SPoT would come in as a conventient substitute for a PLB 406 until and if the PLB 406 devices would be permitted for land use in the UK, it is also true that the SPoT would appear to be more prone to false alerts simply because it is so easy to press the 911 button by mistake or mischief. I can't see that there should be any difference in reaction would the distress signal come from GEOS or the CORSAT structure. From the mountin rescue teams point of view (judged by some reactions) it would be better to permit PLBs and prohibit the SPoT.

It appears that PLB 406 devices have more safeguards against being activated unduly. It'll be interesting to compare the number of false alerts from PLBs to those of the SPpOt in the future. I for one think there should be more safeguards against non appropriate activation of the SPoT.
OK. But I don't live in the UK.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #609
Jonasolof
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstcrashnthru
OK. But I don't live in the UK.
Well, I think your ideas for mounting the SPoT are just fine. Actually, it can just as well be below a hard plastic surface, it will still work. The main idea is to have the body shield it as little as possible and to give it a clear view of the sky, as the radio waves see it.

Btw, I'm not particularly interested in the UK situation. The concerns of those local search and rescue teams would be the same as in other places. I was just interested in the paradox that you can have a SPot but would risk legal action if you carried a PLB 406 while on a land excursion.

With the SPoT you have a one way communicator which can trigger a lot of action. A drunk 17 year old has no idea of the penalty for pushing the right button instead of the left one. The manual only tells that there could be consequences, but in a non descript manner. I believe owners at least would like to have a price list - if there is any coherent info on that. What will GEOS do if they conclude that it is a false alarm? Will they take legal action?

Jonasolof screwed with this post 05-16-2008 at 12:01 PM
Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #610
DustyS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasolof
Well, I think your ideas for mounting the SPoT are just fine. Actually, it can just as well be below a hard plastic surface, it will still work. The main idea is to have the body shield it as little as possible and to give it a clear view of the sky, as the radio waves see it.
Hmmmn, hadn't given much thought to the mischief issue (and I can just see this happening with some guys I know after time spent imbibing around the campfire).

How about putting the SPOT in my Givi trunk on top of everything inside and just shutting the lid (don't usually carry anything on top of the Givi), any predictions or anyone tried that spot for SPOT?
DustyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #611
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,687
Does anyone know what the "extraction insurance" actually covers? Has there been a payout yet? Would it pay if a 911 call was a false alarm?
Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #612
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
Does anyone know what the "extraction insurance" actually covers? Has there been a payout yet? Would it pay if a 911 call was a false alarm?
Grab a margarita, go sit outside, someplace with some nice scenery, push the 911 button and let us know

Sorry, I'm doing that now but I don't have a SPoT so no 911
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #613
Jonasolof
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
You mean they should extract you from the difficulties you got into with the law after having caused a false alarm? I think that's hoping for too much.

On the whole, the EBIRP/PLB 406 rate of false alarms to actual distress cases reported as 17:1 for the US is difficult to grasp. And that is with devices which need several steps to activate with explicit warnings against misuse. I certainly hope that GEOS won't say no thanks to SPoT because of an even greater rate of false alarms.

OTOH, there have been many PLB 406 distress calls which would have been Help calls with the SPoT so that could improve the situation for SPoT.

At what level is it determined if an alarm is false? Will GEOS negotiatie with contact persons around the world to establish the validity of a call - or will they leave that to local authorities?

Jonasolof screwed with this post 05-17-2008 at 01:43 AM
Old 05-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #614
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,282
Newfoundland + Labrador???

Anyone know whether SPOT is able to locate and track me transitting the Trans Labrador Highway at (Lat. 53 degrees)?
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #615
Jonasolof
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abendteuerfahrer
Anyone know whether SPOT is able to locate and track me transitting the Trans Labrador Highway at (Lat. 53 degrees)?
Kein Problem. Once in a while, there will be a Global star satellite straight over head as it reaches the northernmost part of its orbit.

Since this appears to be a gravel road (according to the Wikipedia article) it is probably narrow with forest on both sides in many places. You have a better chance of tracking messages getting through if you stop once in a while with a free view of the sky to the south, as for example if there is a lake to the south of the road.

Are you sure you want to drive a bike for hundreds of miles on a bumpy gravel road among trucks and blackflies?

"The road surface, especially between Goose Bay and Churchill Falls and between Mt. Wright and Fire Lake, is unpredictable at best, so good ground clearance is a must. Construction zones were like obstacle courses, with large rocks and treacherously loose sand. We didn't need to use four-wheel-drive in the Cherokee, but it was reassuring when driving in the rain on the awful gravel road south of Mt. Wright. Any truck or sport utility vehicle would be a good choice, with the safest choice probably being a Chevy truck, since that's what everyone there drives"