ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 08:08 AM   #691
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
I asked some questions of SPOT about a month ago, about the shared page feature, using the feedback page. Finally got a response today. Here's what they said, some of which was news to me:

The links will display the last 24 hours of tracked progress only (messages display are only those sent/tracked after the link was created
A maximum of 10 links can be created
Each link can have 500 visits per week, after which, the link will no longer work until the following week.
When creating a link, do not choose to display the HELP messages, these messages can go through without a GPS location and if this is the case it will corrupt your entire link where nothing will be displayed.
If you get an error message on the link and that there are no tracked locations, log onto your Spot web account, if there are no messages in the last 24 hours, then nothing will display on the link only an error message will show
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #692
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerider
Perhaps Axonn should contact RAM and inform them that their pictures showing the mount would ensure that SPOT would not work as advertised. I can envision a lot of complaints by the multitudes about SPOT not working when mounted as shown.

Just saying...

Jerry

that's an advertising photo, not an owner's manual for the Spot

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #693
klebel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
I asked some questions of SPOT about a month ago, about the shared page feature, using the feedback page. Finally got a response today. Here's what they said, some of which was news to me:

The links will display the last 24 hours of tracked progress only (messages display are only those sent/tracked after the link was created
A maximum of 10 links can be created
Each link can have 500 visits per week, after which, the link will no longer work until the following week.
When creating a link, do not choose to display the HELP messages, these messages can go through without a GPS location and if this is the case it will corrupt your entire link where nothing will be displayed.
If you get an error message on the link and that there are no tracked locations, log onto your Spot web account, if there are no messages in the last 24 hours, then nothing will display on the link only an error message will show
These are ridiculous limitations. There is absolutely no technical reason whatsoever for why they can't hold up to a month's worth of tracks. The data store is tiny even if they had half a million Spots to deal with. I can "kinda" understand the limitation on the number of hits only being 500 a week. But not storing more datapoints is dumb. If I am on a 30 day trip I want people to be able to compare and see the progress I am making on a day by day or week by week basis. Maybe I will right a hack for it. I am already working on a Vista sidebar gadget to show the tracks on the sidebar. That way my wife can keep track of my progress just by glancing over on her desktop whenever she wants too.
klebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #694
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by azari
Too bad they didn't take pictures showing the SPoT properly oriented to actually work (i.e. logo facing the sky...)
Acutally the beauty of a RAM mount, ugly as sin, but it will gimble so the thing can face up.

Not because of the RAM mount, but I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger just to have something new to play with. I've been riding on many long trips solo lately and the wife knows I never follow the same route and bugs me to at least tell her which way I'm going when I take off.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #695
aussiedav
... it's just a road

Oddometer: 1,777
I have mates on MTF that have created programs to "catch" the data and show on their own maps. That may not be the accurate description but techie guys are playing with all of this as we speak. Link
IBA#22575 - IBR in 2009
My Stuff - FarRiders
1400GTR Kawasaki
aussiedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #696
DustyS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Using SPOT under a rear Givi trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyS
I would appreciate feedbck from such test runs, I am away from the bike (darn that work stuff!) for some time so won't be able to do any of my own testing for a while.
Finally got a chance to ride the bike and did a test --- not very scientific or controlled but the SPOT worked well.

I put SPOT in the rear Givi trunk on top of stuff and under the lid, (my Givi has no rack on top), about 20 track points opportunities and 18 came through riding around SW Virginia. Looks like a good spot for SPOT to me!
DustyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:06 AM   #697
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedav
I have mates on MTF that have created programs to "catch" the data and show on their own maps. That may not be the accurate description but techie guys are playing with all of this as we speak. Link
That's cool stuff, but your link doesn't go exactly to the right place. Here are two more precise links:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTou...es?msg=31863.1

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTou...es?msg=31908.1
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #698
12bnkd
UP for any Adventure

Oddometer: 255
HELP !! Find me spot help

Has anyone set up a signal with there loved ones on how to get help to them??

I was thinking of ways to use this in cases of emergency. With no cell service naturally
  • 911 is just that 911, prepare to file bankruptcy
  • needing a tow truck, was thinking of pushing I'm okay waiting 20 minutes and then pushing help. That would tell the people on my help side to coordinate getting a tow truck to me for I have broken down, i.e. something I cannot fix on the road.
  • Help but not an emergency/life-threatening. you just push the button help and let it go, that would tell them please find emergency services near me and direct them to me.

Did not know if anyone had a similar idea or other provisions that would help me out.
V-Rod
Sportster (First Bike)

http://ride.smugmug.com/MotorcycleRi...18710698_g3dzr

WWW.BattalionMC.com
12bnkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #699
Jonasolof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
good idea but the problem is if you were really OK and then need help. You would need to tell them that if there are more than X minutes between OK and Help it is not a composite message. But you don't know which of the three OK messages will finally arrive. You could also do as the bees, dance, i.e change your position in a meaningful way. If you go 100 yards north send an OK and then 100 yards south, that could mean one thing. The opposite another thing. East and west also, brings you four different options.
Jonasolof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #700
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasolof
If you go 100 yards north send an OK and then 100 yards south, that could mean one thing. The opposite another thing. East and west also, brings you four different options.
Yeah, that's not at all complicated or difficult to remember
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #701
Jonasolof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Which alternatives do you have?
Jonasolof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #702
12bnkd
UP for any Adventure

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasolof
good idea but the problem is if you were really OK and then need help. You would need to tell them that if there are more than X minutes between OK and Help it is not a composite message. But you don't know which of the three OK messages will finally arrive. You could also do as the bees, dance, i.e change your position in a meaningful way. If you go 100 yards north send an OK and then 100 yards south, that could mean one thing. The opposite another thing. East and west also, brings you four different options.
I really like that :), what would your different message me if you were to have some??
V-Rod
Sportster (First Bike)

http://ride.smugmug.com/MotorcycleRi...18710698_g3dzr

WWW.BattalionMC.com
12bnkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #703
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Looking at the "Voice and Dial-up Data Coverage Map" for GlobalStar phone service, and the SPOT coverage map, I see a difference in Southern Argentina and Southern Chile. How is it that there is "good" phone service there, but not good SPOT service? Do some of the ground stations not support Simplex?

Voice and Dial-up Data Coverage Map:

SPOT Coverage Map:
Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #704
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Here's how to send a full TEXT message using SPOT:

- Carry a GPS that displays your position coordinates.
- Setup your GPS to display in degrees and fractions of a degree, i.e. DDD.dddd (like the SPOT site displays).
- Carry a printout of ASCII codes (decimal equivalents) for the full alphabet (i.e. 65 = A, 66 = B, 90=Z).
- Send a SPOT OK message indicating start of message, then put your SPOT into tracking mode.
- Position yourself such that your GPS indicates a position with the latitude in degrees, and fractions of a degree matching the first letter of your text message you want to send. i.e. if you want to send the message HELLO, then your first latitude position must be xxx.xx72 (ASCII 72 = H).
- Wait ten minutes or less, when the SPOT transmits your tracked position (watch the LEDs for transmit indication).
- Now move North or South until your GPS indicates a latitude of xxx.xx69 (ASCII 69 = E). You may have to move fast so you get there in less than ten minutes, before the next tracking transmission.
- Continue this process until youve spelled out your complete HELLO message.
- Send another OK message indicating end of text message.
- Teach your friends how to translate those positions, as read from the SPOT tracking website, using the ASCII code printout sheet.
- Be aware your position may be off by a digit or two due to small GPS position errors, so your friends may need to be sharp in decoding small spelling errors. The alternative is to move the digits left, but then you really have to move fast between letters to cover large distances quickly.

Once youve mastered this process, you can enter the SPOT TEXT World Championships!

While designing the unit, Spotmaker must have known this was a slow and error prone process, hence the 911 button for real emergencies!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #705
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
Here's how to send a full TEXT message using SPOT:

- Carry a GPS that displays your position coordinates.
- Setup your GPS to display in degrees and fractions of a degree, i.e. DDD.dddd (like the SPOT site displays).
- Carry a printout of ASCII codes (decimal equivalents) for the full alphabet (i.e. 65 = A, 66 = B, 90=Z).
- Send a SPOT OK message indicating start of message, then put your SPOT into tracking mode.
- Position yourself such that your GPS indicates a position with the latitude in degrees, and fractions of a degree matching the first letter of your text message you want to send. i.e. if you want to send the message HELLO, then your first latitude position must be xxx.xx72 (ASCII 72 = H).
- Wait ten minutes or less, when the SPOT transmits your tracked position (watch the LEDs for transmit indication).
- Now move North or South until your GPS indicates a latitude of xxx.xx69 (ASCII 69 = E). You may have to move fast so you get there in less than ten minutes, before the next tracking transmission.
- Continue this process until youve spelled out your complete HELLO message.
- Send another OK message indicating end of text message.
- Teach your friends how to translate those positions, as read from the SPOT tracking website, using the ASCII code printout sheet.
- Be aware your position may be off by a digit or two due to small GPS position errors, so your friends may need to be sharp in decoding small spelling errors. The alternative is to move the digits left, but then you really have to move fast between letters to cover large distances quickly.

Once youve mastered this process, you can enter the SPOT TEXT World Championships!

While designing the unit, Spotmaker must have known this was a slow and error prone process, hence the 911 button for real emergencies!
You have entirely too much free time....

Nice job!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote