ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #736
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
On my recent trip, my Spot didn't track a leg.

The reason was; I pressed on & OK simultaneously for 5 sec. The directions clearly state to wait a couple of seconds before pressing OK, my bad.

However the tracking & checkin did fine on the other two legs.

Rags
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:14 AM   #737
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags
On my recent trip, my Spot didn't track a leg.

The reason was; I pressed on & OK simultaneously for 5 sec. The directions clearly state to wait a couple of seconds before pressing OK, my bad.
For your punishment you'll have to go and do that leg over again...

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #738
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasolof
So, just to enlighten those that would have thought that a more omnidirectional antenna would have made the SPoT more forgiving to handle:

Why would a cardioid (heartshaped) radiation pattern be less efficient? Is the transmitted power in the best direction less than the power from the flat patch antenna with its near hemispherical envelope? This would be presumable since the cardiod envelope is approaching a globe more than the patch envelope and the antenna is thus less directional....

...It's understandable that Global Star would prefer a parabolical antenna - if directed towards the satellite that is. Or does the modulation technology interact with antenna design??
Sounds like the helical antennas behave more isotropically (truely omnidirectional), so the patch antennas likely exhibit gain in comparison. With only 400 mW to play with in the uplink circuit, perhaps that's what Globalstar/Axonn was looking for?

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #739
rjzinc
The World is My Home

Oddometer: 133
FREE SPOT Satellite Messenger for EEA members attending ....

SPOT Announces Exclusive Offer for EAA Members Attending AirVenture
Free satellite messenger unit offered to all EAAers at Oshkosh

EAA members attending EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2008 will find their membership even more valuable this year, as SPOT will be waiting for them on the grounds. EAA members are eligible to receive a free SPOT Satellite Messenger through an exclusive offer from SPOT Inc. available only at Oshkosh.

http://www.airventure.org/index.html

Name:  FreeSpot.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  92.8 KB

rjzinc screwed with this post 06-06-2008 at 02:21 PM
rjzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #740
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 125
Best Deal?

Where are you finding the best deal to purchase a Spot?
Thanks,

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #741
benh
lookin 4 a way outta town

Oddometer: 262
I activated my Spot today and tried it out while walking around the neighborhood, and it didn't work.

I turned it on, then pressed the OK/Check button. The lights began beeping in unision, and eventually a 5 sec or so hold came up and then continued beeping. This happened again about 5 to 10 minutes later, after about 20 minutes I went inside and turned the device off.

I never recieved any message according to my account or any of the email addresses I had pre-programmed.

Whats the deal??? Was it because I was walking around while attempting? Or was it because I did not let the 5 sec hold occur the third time before turning it off i.e. canceling the message?

If this is the case this kind of sucks considering I rarely have a half an hour to kill in the open sky before I get on my bike and go. Plus you look like an idiot if you are just standing there for a half an hour staring at a hunter orange box with blinkie lights.

benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #742
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
I have mine in a mesh pocket on the back of my hydration pack. I've made some mistakes with it by pushing the OK button for too long. Once the unit is on, give it 5-10 secs, then punch the OK button once, don't hold it down. It will have a problem transmitting thru dense trees, but it will keep trying. Mine has worked, overall, pretty well the last month or so I've had it.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #743
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by benh
... Whats the deal??? Was it because I was walking around while attempting? Or was it because I did not let the 5 sec hold occur the third time before turning it off i.e. canceling the message?

If this is the case this kind of sucks considering I rarely have a half an hour to kill in the open sky before I get on my bike and go. Plus you look like an idiot if you are just standing there for a half an hour staring at a hunter orange box with blinkie lights.
Moving shouldn't affect it much; however, SPoT needs to be positioned horizontally, with the logo facing up to work reliably.

If I do that, mine works really well.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #744
benh

I tried it again this morning with success....

You have to keep the unit on while it sends all three OK/Check messages for the message to totally go through.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #745
Corkus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
I tried it again this morning with success....

You have to keep the unit on while it sends all three OK/Check messages for the message to totally go through.
I have a new SPoT too. Thanks to everyone here for the information. I felt like I knew the device before I used it. Very cool.

In about a half dozen attempts the unit is 100% with all OK/Check messages and I only let it transmit once after getting a GPS fix, about 2 minutes in OK/Check mode. After that I move to tracking mode and ride off. I make sure the device sees the sky clearly face up and it's fine so far.

I ain't waiting 20 minutes for 2 more of the same messages to go out. Not if there's a clear shot of the sky.
Corkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #746
benh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkus
I have a new SPoT too. Thanks to everyone here for the information. I felt like I knew the device before I used it. Very cool.

In about a half dozen attempts the unit is 100% with all OK/Check messages and I only let it transmit once after getting a GPS fix, about 2 minutes in OK/Check mode. After that I move to tracking mode and ride off. I make sure the device sees the sky clearly face up and it's fine so far.

I ain't waiting 20 minutes for 2 more of the same messages to go out. Not if there's a clear shot of the sky.
Well the difference between what you and I were doing was that I was turning mine off before it had got all three messages out (i.e. canceling the OK/check) and you are letting it send one, keeping the unit on, and then tracking.

Bottom line is you have to let it complete the cycle...so what I will try next is to send one and then hop on the bike, start to ride, and see what happens.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #747
Corkus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Well the difference between what you and I were doing was that I was turning mine off before it had got all three messages out (i.e. canceling the OK/check) and you are letting it send one, keeping the unit on, and then tracking.

Bottom line is you have to let it complete the cycle...so what I will try next is to send one and then hop on the bike, start to ride, and see what happens.
OK/Check mode is separate from Tracking mode. In tracking mode SPoT sends no OK/Check messages. Each OK/Check message sent of the 3 is complete. First one is sent as soon as a GPS lock is obtained after about 2 minutes in OK/Check mode, you can watch it transmit if you see the LEDs go solid green for 5 seconds, then I turn my unit to tracking mode.

The second OK/Check message, which is exactly the same even if you keep moving, goes out about 10 minutes and another at about 20 minutes. If the first message gets through the website discards the 2nd and 3rd identical messages.

Only one OK/Check gets all the way through the system to email. I am not often going to wait for the second and third messages to transmit.

I'm not saying the way I turn off OK/Check after one transmission is correct, SPoT says wait 20 minutes to be sure. It is just what I am going to do.
Corkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #748
ModemRat
2 > 4

Oddometer: 18
I just posted a review of Spot on my blog. Most of the post contains information about the unit that most of you probably already know about, but I post some pics and share how reliable it was on my trip through Mexico a month ago. For anyone interested:

My Spot Satellite Messenger Review
ModemRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #749
Smokeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Fathers Day Promotion

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread or not but I got a SPoT unit two days ago for an early fathers day present to use on a solo ride scheduled to leave today (postponed - damn rain).

Anyway on the Canadian SPoT site there is a promotion when you activate your unit you get one years tracking service for free. Thought some of you might be interested.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #750
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
Hmmm.... Just not enough to justify the move... But the health care has me thinking....

'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote