ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 09:38 AM   #751
Smokeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags
Hmmm.... Just not enough to justify the move... But the health care has me thinking....

Well how about we throw in 20 pack of Tim Horton's timbits? That ought to seal the deal.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #752
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeman
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread or not but I got a SPoT unit two days ago for an early fathers day present to use on a solo ride scheduled to leave today (postponed - damn rain).

Anyway on the Canadian SPoT site there is a promotion when you activate your unit you get one years tracking service for free. Thought some of you might be interested.
I got the email, and I already have the tracking option, I asked them what they going to do for all us fathers who already have it...........silence
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #753
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Since I do quite a bit of solo offroad riding I just ordered up a spot to complement the Iridium phone, just a bit of redundency for safety's sake. One question about the GEOS sar insurance. I emailed them with the questions but did not get a response.

From the GEOS website, here are a couple of situations where they will not cover the sar costs....

a) your situation is caused by circumstances such as a forecast change of weather conditions, which could reasonably have been anticipated at the date you started your trip
b) you have NOT made adequate provision of resources or training or competence needed to complete your planned trip.

"A" is a bit nebulous. Does that mean the date you start the beginning of the whole trip or is it a day by day thing? Also, deserts are hot and sometimes you cannot carry enough water to surivive days in a remote desert if you are forced to walk out. I assume hot and dry would be an easily anticipated weather condition, hence no sar money for you.

"B" is problematic as well. So I am hauling the mail down a sand wash and hit a rock or a washout that launches me from the bike resulting in injury bad enough that I cannot extract myself. So who decides if I had the "proper training" to be doing what I am doing? What if I had no formal dirt bike training at all, or even if I did one could say that I was not formally trained in desert off road riding.

I'm highly suspect of this insurance for these reasons coupled with the fact that my emails asking about it have not been replied to. Also, the price seems too good to be true, and we all know about stuff that seems too good to be true.

Anyone know the scoop on this?

I will continue to use my aeromedevac insurance because I know it works and works well. Just wondering if this would be a good option, but it doesnt sound like it.

thx.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #754
Smokeman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hmmm....good question crashmaster. You obviously read the thing. I seem to have omitted that part and blindy spent the 8 bucks. Sounds like they have all sorts of outs to me. Oh well...more money down the tube.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #755
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeman
Oh well...more money down the tube.
As I see it, it's $8 for the "I never thought I'd ever be in a situation like this" insurance. That's two vente cafe mochas for me.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #756
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

sure, but given the terms of the policy, they might not pay anyway for an offroad MC mishap, so I would save the 8 bucks a month and buy other insurance until they will verify exactly how they interpert those terms and conditions of payment.........just my two pesos.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #757
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
sure, but given the terms of the policy, they might not pay anyway for an offroad MC mishap, so I would save the 8 bucks a month and buy other insurance until they will verify exactly how they interpert those terms and conditions of payment.........just my two pesos.
The $8 is for a years policy.

For $8/year I'd rather have something that might cover the charges. If I use it, the situation will be life or death, and used with or without the policy so for the price of a pitcher of beer I increase my chances of having it paid for.

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #758
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspice
The $8 is for a years policy.

For $8/year I'd rather have something that might cover the charges. If I use it, the situation will be life or death, and used with or without the policy so for the price of a pitcher of beer I increase my chances of having it paid for.
Oh, I didnt read closely enough. Well, then its for sure sketchy whether they will pay or not. Its an 8 dollar bet per year, which is nothing really. Obviously they have many customers, would be interesting to know their payment history on an 8 dollar a year policy............

Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #759
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

OK, well just after I wrote the last post, the SPOT came to my door. I activated it, and yes, they got me for the 8 bucks a year GEOS sar insurance. Yeah, laugh it up.

I tested the unit out and it worked as advertised sending the various messages that I commanded. Pretty f'ing cool if you ax me. Like I mentioned before, its not my only means of comm when I'm riding solo in the MOFN, but I think its a great thing to have. The Iridium could run out of juice or may not be able to get sat coverage of the Iridium constellation when I need it, so the spot is a backup, and an easy way to send an OK msg to mom, dad and the wiff without having to actually talk to them at 3 bucks a minute.

Not to mention, my help message goes to one of my riding buddies and says, "Dude I'm broke down in Baja and need a truck. So get your ass down here pronto to pick me up and bring tiedowns and beers."

Gotta love that feature.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #760
jeffmccracken
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Running SPOT from bike power

I'd like to rig the unit up to run off bike power stepping down the bike voltage to 3V. I'd probably just solder a 2 pin connector to the battery terminals and run the wire out the back through a small hole. I might even put a little RTV to keep moisture out. I'm not all that concerned about absolute waterproofness. I'm sure a little hole won't be a big deal on the bike. Anyway I was wondering if this would work. Maybe SPOTMaker might have a little insight.

Jeffm
jeffmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #761
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Hello Brad,

My apologies but the promotion for a year of free tracking is only for new activations.

Regards,

Johanna

SPOT USA Sales
866-OK1-SPOT
www.findmespot.com

I just activated about a month ago. MF'ers.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #762
BuellDualSport
Banned

Oddometer: 891
Bike Power

Jeffm:

At one time you could get that type of step down converted in the Tandy/Radio Shcak catalogue (not at the stores).

Might need to do a Goodle or Yahoo search, but I also seem to recall that McMaster Carr had something along that line also. Will look further when we get back to NC

Good Luck

tom
BuellDualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #763
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmccracken
I'd like to rig the unit up to run off bike power stepping down the bike voltage to 3V.
It's hard to imagine why you would need this. The SPOT isn't like a typical GPS unit that can run a set of batteries down in a matter of a day or two. The SPOT batteries will last for weeks of continuous use. Plus, with the wired connection, you loose the option to walk away from your bike with the SPOT in hand. And, when you're in the middle of nowhere, and your electrical system (and thereby the SPOT) dies on you, leaving you stranded, that may be the exact time when you need the SPOT to work. Add to that the fair chance that you'll fry the SPOT while testing the regulator circuit, and it seems you're at high risk of the SPOT not being able to do what it was intended to do.

If you still think it's a good idea, all sorts of voltage regulators are available at www.digikey.com
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #764
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Here is my second real test of the tracks. Pretty much worked flawlessly - even in some semi-covered areas.

Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #765
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild
It's hard to imagine why you would need this. The SPOT isn't like a typical GPS unit that can run a set of batteries down in a matter of a day or two. The SPOT batteries will last for weeks of continuous use.
I agree. Not necessary. I forget what a pair of AA batteries is rated for in SPoT -- I think I recall seeing 2,000 transmissions in there somewhere. Well, let's say the real number is half that. That's roughly 10,000 minutes of operating time in tracking mode, or about 14 12-hr days in the saddle. Going to an external DC source seems...not necessary. Take an extra pair of batteries if you're really, really worried.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote