ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 43 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #796
Slovak
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Questions and answers

I organized the original group buy through MTF. Since then, I've been keeping a list of FAQs on the web site at http://www.MyLiveTracks.com/faq.shtml

It includes many of the points from this thread (yes, I've read the whole 54 pages thus far), discussions from other forums and web sites, as well as communications with SPOT employees.

Peter...
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #797
markgsnw
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
There's a little drop-down option on the right for how many track points you want to see at once. Select "ALL" then check them all off to show on the map.

there's not...I see groups of 20, but no "all" option.

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #798
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
there's not...I see groups of 20, but no "all" option.
So it doesn't look like this?

'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:35 AM   #799
BuellDualSport
Banned

Oddometer: 891
Thumb Our's Works

Had missed that one

Thanks
BuellDualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #800
owlflavored
Don't Know. Don't Care.

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
marketing@findmespot.com or
customercare@findmespot.com are probably as good as any.

Those emails are being read by open-minded people. Some of my personal contacts, frankly, probably have their minds more made up than the people answering those emails. They are doing actual market research and seeking opinions.
yes, please forward questions/comments to either of those emails. if you folks find you aren't getting timely enough responses, please PM me, and i'll hook you up with more specific contact info.

additionally, an attempt to set up a special SPOT pricing deal with advrider.com is in the works. stay tuned.
owlflavored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #801
markgsnw
WTF?

nope:

Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #802
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
nope:
What happens whne you hit "more" down at the botom of the list?
It doesn't look like a "regular" drop-down list to me. The arrow next to it is gone. What browser?
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #803
markgsnw
WTF?

Quote:
What happens whne you hit "more" down at the botom of the list?

more sets of 20

Quote:
It doesn't look like a "regular" drop-down list to me. The arrow next to it is gone. What browser?

Camino, which is a Mozilla-based browser. Looks the same in Firefox 3.0 and in Safari.

markgsnw screwed with this post 06-27-2008 at 09:29 AM
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #804
F1Turbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Turbo
I ordered a SPOT through Mountain Gear with a 10% discount (you have to be on their email list to get it)--hope to get it this week.

I ride with Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. I have one of their Sleeve Window Pockets (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-16487.html) that I use for garage door opener or EPass transmitter. The EPass transmitter is almost identical in area, but a lot thinner than the SPOT. Aerostich also sells a larger Leg Map Pocket (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-16372.html) that I was thinking might work well for the SPOT. This should keep it in a horizontal position (although blocked on one side by the bike, sleeve pocket would be better, but I don't think it's big enough) and keep it on your person.

Has anyone tried these? I'll check fit with my sleeve pocket when I get the SPOT.
It does fit in the sleeve pocket--a little on the snug side, but think it'll work.
F1Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #805
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,753
SpotMaker,

I've got another UI gripe that you might be able to help with.

Is there any way to tell when an "OK" message has been completed other than catching the solid LED indication? It sure sounds as though I've got watch the LED to catch when the message has been sent. ARGGGHHHH.

If you have input on this one (and I'll add it to my feedback when I write), how about:

Pending message: PWR LED and OK LED - in sync blink 1:1
Completed message: PWR LED and OK LED - in sync blink 2:1

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Emerson
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #806
dougprintz
dougprintz

Oddometer: 18
My SPOT paid for itself many times today.

The short version: Yesterday our group of dual-sport motorcyclists was riding on Soda Springs Rd, a remote, dirt road west of Truckee, when one of our riders went down hard in some rocks. He was obviously seriously hurt so I hit the 911 Button. The GEOS Response Center alerted local authorities and a helicopter and ambulance were dispatched. There was no place for a helicopter to land - we loaded him into an ambulance about 45 minutes after I pushed the button. He is currently recovering in the hospital with 9 broken ribs and a punctured lung.

During this time the GEOS Response Center made every effort to keep in touch with the local authorities and relay information to my wife.
dougprintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #807
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
Wow makes me fell good about my purchase; but more importantly I hope your bud heals well. Ribs are painful, don't ask me how I know.
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #808
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
SpotMaker,

I've got another UI gripe that you might be able to help with.

Is there any way to tell when an "OK" message has been completed other than catching the solid LED indication? It sure sounds as though I've got watch the LED to catch when the message has been sent. ARGGGHHHH.
The OK message is completed when the OK LED isn't blinking anymore.

If it's blinking at all, it's pending. Remember, it takes 3 transmissions to guarantee better than 99% that the message went through. So, after the 3rd transmission, the OK led simply stops blinking.

Now, as to their being no visual way to tell the difference between check in mode and track mode....

You're scheme is a suggestion of one possible way.

Again, however, by asking me these questions you are basically preaching to the choir.

We were presented with a description of SPoT Inc.'s desired user interface that was dozens of pages long.

We, at Axonn, had a number of suggestions as to how it might be made more intuitive and were basically told, in no uncertain terms that we didn't know what we were talking about.

OK, then...

Many of our suggestions have been mentioned, in some cases almost verbatim, in this forum.

I survived WEEKS of verification testing to make sure every nuance of this user interface description was implemented in the firmware exactly as described by SPoT, inc. It damn nearly put me in a rubber room.

But, I can assure you, the interface is exactly what they asked for.
I work for Axonn LLC, the company that designed and manufactures the SPoT Satellite messenger. However opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of SPoT INC. or Axonn LLC.

SpotMaker screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 11:23 AM
SpotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #809
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougprintz
My SPOT paid for itself many times today.

The short version: Yesterday our group of dual-sport motorcyclists was riding on Soda Springs Rd, a remote, dirt road west of Truckee, when one of our riders went down hard in some rocks. He was obviously seriously hurt so I hit the 911 Button. The GEOS Response Center alerted local authorities and a helicopter and ambulance were dispatched. There was no place for a helicopter to land - we loaded him into an ambulance about 45 minutes after I pushed the button. He is currently recovering in the hospital with 9 broken ribs and a punctured lung.

During this time the GEOS Response Center made every effort to keep in touch with the local authorities and relay information to my wife.
Love reports like this!

Not the hurt part, obviously, but the helped part!
I work for Axonn LLC, the company that designed and manufactures the SPoT Satellite messenger. However opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of SPoT INC. or Axonn LLC.
SpotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #810
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
The OK message is completed when the OK LED isn't blinking anymore.

If it's blinking at all, it's pending. Remember, it takes 3 transmissions to guarantee better than 99% that the message went through. So, after the 3rd transmission, the OK led simply stops blinking.

We were presented with a description of SPoT Inc.'s desired user interface that was dozens of pages long.

We, at Axonn, had a number of suggestions as to how it might be made more intuitive and were basically told, in no uncertain terms that we didn't know what we were talking about.

I survived WEEKS of verification testing to make sure every nuance of this user interface description was implemented in the firmware exactly as described by SPoT, inc. It damn nearly put me in a rubber room.

But, I can assure you, the interface is exactly what they asked for.

Ahhhh. SPoT has no way of knowing of success. (The MODEM is truly TX only?) So you're forced to play the odds. I was just playing yesterday making sure all of the trip's contacts were receiving and SPoT was sucessful in the first couple of minutes but continued to blink. I didn't know about the three try schema.

I'm also starting to learn/understand more about the Axxon/SPoT relationship.

Also... Great success story. Although a helo trip would have been much more comfortable than an ambulance trip with all those broken ribs rubbing together. OUCH.

In my 911 message to GEOS I explained that it was going to be used on an offroad motorcycle trip by 5 riders and that most likely a 911 would indicate a serious injury requiring EMS ASAP. I'm hoping that will help with decision making at GEOS.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote