ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 122 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #811
dougprintz
dougprintz

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
....................In my 911 message to GEOS I explained that it was going to be used on an offroad motorcycle trip by 5 riders and that most likely a 911 would indicate a serious injury requiring EMS ASAP. I'm hoping that will help with decision making at GEOS.
Great comment. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I'm thinking I'll make up a couple of profiles, each with comments appropriate to my adventure. Thanks.
dougprintz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #812
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Spot subscription gone up ?

What is happening with subscription ?

Spot website says $99.99 but registration is $115
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #813
Jonasolof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
SPOT SMS now to worldwide operators

It was announced for May but got operational yesterday. Easy. Just enter the phone number that the SMS should go to. No operator names etc. There is an extensive list of countries and operators that can be used, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe...

Just tried an OK message with a swedish SIM card in my cell phone. Got the SMS within a minute. This is a huge improvement for international users

European support told me that you can list up to five different cell phone numbers to receive your SMS-messages in OK and Help respectively. And this goes for each profile that you create. The total number of free SMS messages per year is 200, after that there will be a charge of ten eurocents per SMS. How that charge is to be billed isn't clear yet.

The messages I got to my dual sim card Samsung phone with a Belgian and a Swedish card were all sent from a UK number. This people might need to know.

I tested Help and cancel help, it all worked very quickly, with a less than a minute's delay for a SMS message to a belgian number roaming in Sweden.

Jonasolof screwed with this post 07-10-2008 at 09:26 AM
Jonasolof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #814
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Dropped Spot

I unintentionally did a destruction test on my SPOT. I was going about 60 when my spot flew out of the top of my tank bag.

Still works!

I did a little damage to the rubber bits on the side. It may not be as waterproof as it was designed.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #815
BuellDualSport
Banned

Oddometer: 891
Thanks for the Crash Report

Glad it still works

BuellDualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #816
sardog1
Opus non Verba

Oddometer: 33
anyone got the ram mount yet?

had a longstanding pre-order. leaving on a week long this weekend and was hoping the july release would have it here before. am i putting the pelican box case back on for this ride?
sardog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #817
BuellDualSport
Banned

Thumb Ram Mount

FWIW, we used the mount that Ram sells for Radar Detectors. Wide Flat Plate with magnet in the plate.

Mounted on the handle bars, piece of velcro and 2" rubber o-rings that we got at a big box store.

Velcro takes some of the vibration out of the system and the 0 rings are great "keepers"

Good Luck
Old 07-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #818
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog1
had a longstanding pre-order. leaving on a week long this weekend and was hoping the july release would have it here before. am i putting the pelican box case back on for this ride?
I got an email from the distributor last week that said they hadn't received them yet, but they expected them out in a couple weeks. They did charge my credit card on Friday, so I hope it's close.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #819
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,249
Just spent 10 days on the CDR with the SPoT.

Good:

Worked well in a Camelback pack on the back of my bike.

Tracked well when it didn't flop upside down in the pack pocket or when I remembered to allow the rquired amount of time betwen power-up and activating the track mode. Typically got a report every 10 minutes, but would miss one every once in a while.

One set of lithium batteries lasted 12hrs x 12days, no problem. (Used it on the truck's dash board for the drive back as well.)

Wife was very happy with the ability to follow my progress.

Bad:

Labeling rubbed off the on/off button and tracking button. They are not recessed like the help and 911 buttons.

Wife regularly had problems accessing the tracking page. It appears it would show no progress for a the last 24 hours and then at the end of the day she would check again and all of the tracks would be there.

Some recepients of the 'I'm OK' text messages would occaionally receive an "I'm OK" message with an "Emergency" subject line. That appeared to be possibly cell provider related?

The changing between tracking and I'm OK mode was a pain in the ass.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #820
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
I got one. I keep leaving it at home on the counter. Does not seem to work very well that way.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #821
John E Davies OP
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
I recently finished a half day ride in the narrow, heavily treed confines of North Idaho - the terrain is all valley and ridge, separated by 3000 feet of steep hillsides.

SPOT was carried on top of my hydropack in a zip pouch, lying horizontally. In this configuration tracking efficiency is normally 85-90% iin open terrain.

On this ride, SPOT only sent 21 out of 31 trackpoints, which works out to about 60%. Considering the really tough terrain - satellite reception can be terrible - I think this is quite acceptable performance.

As they say, a gun is better than a stick when you encounter an angry brown bear.... and 60% is way better than zero for a tracking device.

I will be taking SPOT on a remote 4wd vacation trip in a few weeks (Idaho's Magruder Road Corridor) and I will be very glad to have SPOT along for the drive... I just have to remember to update the contact list, since my primary contact will be in the passenger seat ;)

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #822
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
There's a little drop-down option on the right for how many track points you want to see at once. Select "ALL" then check them all off to show on the map.
The problem is.... once you have too many messages it won't give you that option. If I show my last 7 days, I have 363 messages and it gives me that option. If I show my last 3o days' history, it won't give me the show all option.

EDIT:

And I just called SPoT and spoke with CSR and they were clueless.....

emerson.biguns screwed with this post 07-17-2008 at 05:12 PM
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #823
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
I unintentionally did a destruction test on my SPOT. I was going about 60 when my spot flew out of the top of my tank bag.

Still works!

I did a little damage to the rubber bits on the side. It may not be as waterproof as it was designed.
Update: Mostly works. The "OK" button is a bit off now. You have to really push it to get it to go. Luckily the light goes on when it is actually engaged. So no biggy.

Also, I'm still getting tracks and OKs in southern Mexico (West of villahermosa). I'm going to Tierra del Fuego with it in my tank bag.

dg
Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #824
BuellDualSport
Banned

Enjoy the Ride

Ride Em
Old 07-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #825
TouringGuy
NewB

Oddometer: 13
I am following this thread closely and I wanted to know if you think that this device is ready for prime time. I am leaving to Canada in a few weeks and am thinking about picking this up. Would you buy it again?
TouringGuy is offline   Reply With Quote