ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 123 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #826
TomW
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Ft. Payne, AL
Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringGuy
...Would you buy it again?
Yes. Just be aware of its limitations, and limit your expectations accordingly. It's not foolproof, or 100% reliable, but -- in my opinion -- offers reasonable performance for the money. If you've kept up with this thread you probably have a pretty good feel for its strengths and weaknesses.

Cheers.
__________________
TomW
'76 R90/6
'93 R100GSPD
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 AM   #827
TouringGuy
NewB
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Yes. Just be aware of its limitations, and limit your expectations accordingly. It's not foolproof, or 100% reliable, but -- in my opinion -- offers reasonable performance for the money. If you've kept up with this thread you probably have a pretty good feel for its strengths and weaknesses.

Cheers.
Thanks, now I need to find one of the newer units in stock so I can buy it today. Thanks.
TouringGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #828
brad21
Farting in a Fan
 
brad21's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Oddometer: 3,556
Mine has worked really well. On the dirtbike I have it in a mesh pocket facing out and just the other day I used the belt clip and clipped it over a strap on my streetbike's fairing. Punched it 5 times on the way home from a 170 mile trip and it worked every time.
__________________
Use this code when opening a Smugmug account and get $5 off! HkVR4XuSGKW46

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #829
BuellDualSport
Banned
 
BuellDualSport's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Oddometer: 891
98%

We have been getting between 97 and 99% accuracy for the past thirty (30) days.

Doing a BB 1000 this weekend, will report after that

Ride Em
BuellDualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #830
daveg
no longer homeless
 
daveg's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
Wife regularly had problems accessing the tracking page. It appears it would show no progress for a the last 24 hours and then at the end of the day she would check again and all of the tracks would be there.
I've had the same problem several times. It is really confusing to those not on the trip.
__________________
Travels around the world.. or something -- RTW on a DRZ
All the way south -- Texas to Tierra del Fuego
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #831
TouringGuy
NewB
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
I've had the same problem several times. It is really confusing to those not on the trip.
It sounds like they are batch processing and not tracking in real time?
TouringGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #832
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer
 
spicychili's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringGuy
It sounds like they are batch processing and not tracking in real time?
They are not batch processing. It has happened to me and my wife a couple times.

When I got home from a ride, I checked her computer and refreshed the page. no tracks for several hours. I opened up my computer and brought up the page. tracks as recent as 15 minutes ago. refreshed her page again and still no tracks for past several hours.

It has something to do with the caching on the browser and the session that is created when the end user accesses the web page.

I wish they would create an API so that I can capture the points myself and build my own map on the fly. while their page is useful it is still pretty lacking.
__________________
'06 R1200GS
'07 G650 X-Challenge
spicychili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #833
BMWRC
Nuckin' Futs!
 
BMWRC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB, 7,871 km to Inuvik
Oddometer: 145
100%

Over the last 5 days I completed a 3000km (~1,900 miles) ride throught New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario Vermont, New Hamshire and Maine without any problems.

Note: I do not use the tracking option. I prefer to press the I'm OK button when I want to report.
__________________
Robert
'06 R1200GS Adv
Epic Ride 2008/09 - Fredericton, NB to Ushuaia, Argentina and back - 60,000km/8 months


BMWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #834
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood
 
Codewheeney's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Oddometer: 2,634
I've now had my Spot for a little more than a month, and I've used it on two moto trips and one kayak trip. I'm not doing the tracking feature, but the checking in has worked really well.

I ordered the RAM mount, but haven't received it yet. On the bike, I've been keeping it clipped to the tank bag (not facing up as recommended) and out here in the big open of the Southwest, it seems to work fine. I will unclip it and rest it on the tank bag when I send OK messages, if I've stopped for a few minutes.

mounted as pictured here:



With a little lanyard I made.

So far, I haven't had to use it for an emergency, but friends and family (and most especially Codewife) are very happy for the check-in messages.

JC
__________________
Jim
Morgan Hill, CA - 2015 R1200GS, 2004 R1150GS.

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #835
dougprintz
dougprintz
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 18
The SPOT documentation says that pressing the "911" or "Help" buttons will cancel any unsent "Check-in" messages. My question is if I've requested help by pressing "911" or "Help", will pressing the "OK" button cancel the help request?

I recently had to press the "911" button when one of our group was severely injured. I wanted to let my wife know that I was OK and it was someone else in trouble, but I was afraid to push the "OK" button for fear of cancelling the "911" call. My wife spent a couple of anxious hours.
dougprintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #836
smiller
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougprintz
I recently had to press the "911" button when one of our group was severely injured. I wanted to let my wife know that I was OK and it was someone else in trouble, but I was afraid to push the "OK" button for fear of cancelling the "911" call. My wife spent a couple of anxious hours.
The best way to do this would be to first send the 911 call to get a message out (if you have a clear view of the sky 15 minutes should be OK), then power cycle the unit (this will reset it without cancelling the 911 call) and send an 'OK' message. After the OK message is sent put the unit back into 911 mode until help arrives.

And BTW sending an 'OK' message will not cancel a 911 call... the GEOS center doesn't even see your 'OK' messages. The only way to cancel a 911 call is to press and hold the 911 button for at least 3 seconds while in 911 mode. This will send a 'cancel 911' message to the response center.

.

smiller screwed with this post 07-25-2008 at 06:12 PM
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #837
innovathinker
Adventurer
 
innovathinker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
The best way to do this would be to first send the 911 call to get a message out (if you have a clear view of the sky 15 minutes should be OK), then power cycle the unit (this will reset it without cancelling the 911 call) and send an 'OK' message. After the OK message is sent put the unit back into 911 mode until help arrives.

And BTW sending an 'OK' message will not cancel a 911 call... the GEOS center doesn't even see your 'OK' messages. The only way to cancel a 911 call is to press and hold the 911 button for at least 3 seconds while in 911 mode. This will send a 'cancel 911' message to the response center.

.
I belive that once 911 is activated, the only way to turn tracking (not just checking in) on is to log on and re-set the device.

SPOT saved my ass up on the dempster.
innovathinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #838
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv
 
wdeTA's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Boulder, CO
Oddometer: 449
Spot on the arctic coast

I just rode my Transalp to Alaska (4.5 days from Boulder CO to Fairbanks), then joined some friends running the Kongakut river in ANWR from the Brooks range to the Arctic ocean, then west along the ocean to Kaktovik. Spot worked very well. Yes there were some missed tracking messages, but more than enough went through to mapo the route. All the OK messages appear to have gone through. Pretty good considering we were on the edge of the Spot coverage. More tracking messages got missed while still in the mountains, but once we hit the tundra and coast, tracking was really good (absolutely nothing to get in the way). I had the Spot clipped to the top of a bag in the front of my kayak.

Dale
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #839
TouringGuy
NewB
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA
I just rode my Transalp to Alaska (4.5 days from Boulder CO to Fairbanks), then joined some friends running the Kongakut river in ANWR from the Brooks range to the Arctic ocean, then west along the ocean to Kaktovik. Spot worked very well. Yes there were some missed tracking messages, but more than enough went through to mapo the route. All the OK messages appear to have gone through. Pretty good considering we were on the edge of the Spot coverage. More tracking messages got missed while still in the mountains, but once we hit the tundra and coast, tracking was really good (absolutely nothing to get in the way). I had the Spot clipped to the top of a bag in the front of my kayak.

Dale
Sounds like a great trip. I am looking forward to using it our our ride from Southern CA to Alberta, Canada and back.
TouringGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #840
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougprintz
The SPOT documentation says that pressing the "911" or "Help" buttons will cancel any unsent "Check-in" messages. My question is if I've requested help by pressing "911" or "Help", will pressing the "OK" button cancel the help request?
911 is the highest priority. No other message type will cancel it, except "Cancel 911".

There are two ways to get the unit out of 911 mode.

One way is to "cancel" the 911 request.

You do this by pressing the 911 button for 3 seconds while in the 911 mode. You will know you've pressed it long enough when the 911 button switches from flashing green to flashing red.

The unit will then be sending a "cancel 911" message. This is a message cycle with the same timings of a "Check in" message. It will send 3 redundant messages over the course of about 20 minutes.

NOTE: The GEOS 911 center interprets the "cancel 911" message as meaning "Never mind, there's not really an emergency." or "Help has arrived, the emergency is over."

So: Don't send a "cancel 911" message unless the emergency is really over!

The other way to stop 911 mode is to turn the unit off: Simply hold down the power button until the LEDs stop flashing. Then, turn the unit on again and send your Check In message.

Again, don't turn the unit off until help has arrived. Since the SPoT is "one way". The only feedback that you have to be positive that the 911 message has been received is rescue personnel actually arriving or making contact with you, by some means, to tell you they've gotten your 911 message.

So, always leave the SPoT in 911 mode until rescue personnel have made contact with you, so you know your message has been heard!

"Help" is the second highest priority message. Everything above about "911" applies to "help" also (e. g. a "Cancel Help" message also exists). Unlike 911 that transmits forever until you stop it (or until the batteries are dead), help only goes for 1 hour, and then stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovathinker
I belive that once 911 is activated, the only way to turn tracking (not just checking in) on is to log on and re-set the device.

SPOT saved my ass up on the dempster.
No "logging on" is necessary to reset anything. Get the SPoT out of 911 mode via one of the methods outlined above (sending a "cancel 911" sequence or power-cycling the SPoT) and then you can send any other message type (track, check in, or help).
__________________
I work for Axonn LLC, the company that designed and manufactures the SPoT Satellite messenger. However opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of SPoT INC. or Axonn LLC.

SpotMaker screwed with this post 07-28-2008 at 07:43 AM
SpotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014