ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #856
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Okay, that's what I was getting at. I don't know why I didn't just ask that specifically.

I have the same problem. I'm not sure Mom or Dad would know what to do with a text message.

Been playing with mine. For tracking function you can just send them a link to the shared page you set up like blue lightning (deisel dude) said. Then all they have to do is check the shared page and it will show progress. Granted you cannot give them any indication if you are OK or not, but they can track where you are. You can also show help and Ok messages on the shared page. So if you were in track mode and needed help all you have to do is turn off or cancel tracking and turn on and send a OK or help message....I think.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #857
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
So if you were in track mode and needed help all you have to do is turn off or cancel tracking and turn on and send a OK or help message....I think.
Almost, but close.

HELP and 911 will activate no matter whether you're currently tracking or not. They take priority and will self-cancel the track mode if it's on so that it can send the more urgent message.

If you were tracking and wanted to send an OK, then you'd have to cancel tracking mode (either by holding down OK or by just turning the whole thing off) then sending the OK message out.

I see the tracking as the poor man's version of that fancy shmancy tracker that Shogs had installed on her bike when we were all "tuned in" and watching her. This just updates every ten minutes instead of seconds.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #858
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,666
That's what we needed. Seems to be working right now tracking Shogs return from SC.
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #859
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
Now that's a real deal for anyone lucky be at Oshkosh and be an EAA member.

I was able to attend Oshkosh a number of years ago, and it was a highlight of that trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp1981
Free SPOTS at EAA this year with the purchase of the first years subscription... I picked one up

www.airventure.org
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #860
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
I see the tracking as the poor man's version of that fancy shmancy tracker that Shogs had installed on her bike when we were all "tuned in" and watching her. This just updates every ten minutes instead of seconds.
Just checked with SPOT and that's pretty much what they said.

The tracking feature only works for 24 hours. So... Let's say I'm not able to press a button on my SPOT after I put it in tracking mode. It's my understanding that the tracking mode turns itself off and the map will clear itself 24 hours after the last "message" from the tracker.

Not overly helpful if somone isn't checking that page regularly.

I'm thinking the tracking feature is more just kinda cool for friends and family so they can see where you're going in real time and really shouldn't be relied upon as a safety feature.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 07-30-2008 at 02:23 PM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #861
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
The tracking feature only works for 24 hours. So... Let's say I'm not able to press a button on my SPOT after I put it in tracking mode. It's my understanding that the tracking mode turns itself off and the map will clear itself 24 hours after the last "message" from the tracker.

Not overly helpful if somone isn't checking that page regularly.

I'm thinking the tracking feature is more just kinda cool for friends and family so they can see where you're going in real time and really shouldn't be relied upon as a safety feature.
Well, it doesn't "clear" the information after 24 hours.

The publicly available "shared" page (still in beta BTW) has a setting that only shows the last 24 hours of data. The login that you have with your ID & PW for the findmespot.com website holds much longer - I think up to 30 days (?). So before you leave, always have at least one person that you trust (spouse, family member) that has that info. All they need to do is log in to get the more historical data.

And yeah, it's pretty cool when you're out on the road and your friends back home are all talking about where you've been and how cool it is that they can "follow" you.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Old 07-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #862
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Cool.

Got my SPOT.

Gonna test it tonight. Already warned the parents they'll be getting a text message and an e-mail.

Here's the link to my shared page.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/gogl.jsp?glId=0hizgJbpNCrW35Weo0JnbCgxPjDmI0aOq

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 07-31-2008 at 11:12 AM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #863
Arkansas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Took mine to Prudhoe Bay and was very pleased with it. It worked flawlessly above the arctic circle, which is more than I can say about my Zumo! I used the tracking function the entire trip and just left it in my jacket pocket. The only areas where I had problems were deep in the mountains which was expected. It was just a bit more spotty. I imagine that my mom probably checked it every hour, but it gave her enough reasurance to not go off the deep end.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #864
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
Can someone here help my friend. This ride he's taking is to raise money for Easter Seals.
Each shared page only allows 500 views per week (7 rolling day time frame). If he's expecting to need much more than that, I'd recommend he set up a few shared pages and spread out the URLs evenly so that they'd all be able to see the same thing, just on different pages/URLs.

Example:
Shared Page 1 - Family
Shared Page 2 - Local Friends
Shared Page 3 - ADV
Shared Page 4 - Local forum
etc.

It sounds like what he was thinking of doing would be have one page go until it hits 500, then have a friend make a second and share that, but that would be much more difficult to monitor & control and it means the friend would be inconvenienced by all the clutter.

ALSO - the 500 views is based on the page being pulled up, not it refreshing with new spots as time goes on (I learned this the hard way). So what he should tell people that plan on tracking him for a while is to keep the page open and allow it to refresh itself internally, thereby only causing one hit to the server. There's also a little double arrow icon within the page that refreshes the data without refreshing the whole page.

I've heard of people coding software to collect the data from the site to do whatever they want with it, but that stuff is WAY over my head.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #865
Jeff49783
Private ASEL

Oddometer: 167
Another Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by benp1981
Free SPOTS at EAA this year with the purchase of the first years subscription... I picked one up

www.airventure.org
I got mine gratis on Monday with the subscription (must purchase the tracking too). I was anxious to try it when I got home, and I left it in the yard on tracking all night. I tested it further today in the car and in the house.

I am happy to report that it does what everyone else says it does. I have a 300 mile trip on Sunday for the final shakedown, then I will use it on my James Bay ride this fall.

JP

gone - 2008 Bandit 1250 ABS, 2006 XT225, 1995 K75RT, 2005 F650GS, 2005 R1200GS, 2003 R1150RT, 2001 R1100RS
Jeff49783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #866
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

I've had mine 3 days and the first day I put it in my tank bag and it only got 3 tracks in an hour ride to / from work. Then I put it in my outer coat pocket and had the same results. In one of the SPOT locations it was off by about 1/8 mile. I like the concept and will give it the BIG test in Nicaraugua at the end of next week for 10 days.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #867
HYLYNDYR
naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer: 66
I just spent the last month on the road with my Spot. Rode all over Alaska, BC, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and back to Cali. Worked better than I expected, consistantly tracking me except in the mountains of Alaska, but I think that maybe the Spot was in the wrong location, the pocket in my tail bag. As soon as I moved it to the map pocket in the tank bag it almost never missed a beat. Well worth the money, plus it kept family and co-workers amused while I was on the road.

Now does anyone have a trick to download all my tracks at once instead of 20 hits at a time ? I don't see a "select all " option to download all 800 plus track points at once.
HYLYNDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #868
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYLYNDYR
Now does anyone have a trick to download all my tracks at once instead of 20 hits at a time ? I don't see a "select all " option to download all 800 plus track points at once.
We learned earlier in this thread that apparently there's a limit to the number of tracks that it will display "select all" for.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Old 08-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #869
HYLYNDYR
naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
We learned earlier in this thread that apparently there's a limit to the number of tracks that it will display "select all" for.
Thanks Squeaky , for the bad news ! I went back and found the info. I sent Spot an email, we'll see what answer they supply.
HYLYNDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #870
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Today I rode to/from work with the tracking on (15 miles each way through the core of Seattle) and SPOT in my outside jacket pocket and facing out). Not a single track showed up. Both lights were flashing in parallel. So I then put it in my light baseball jacket and went to the Mariner's / Orioles baseball game with my 12 year old grandson , and only one track point showed up and it's about 1/8 mile from the actual location of my upper deck seat in the open stadium.

So far the tracking hasn't really lived up to my expectations. My little 60CSx will easily track inside my front pants pocket (I realize it's not transmitting back to a satellite). It will be interesting to see what the tracking is like when I put it in the right front pocket of the Wing and do some riding away from the city. That will have to wait for a while.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100