ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 74 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #901
TouringGuy
NewB

Oddometer: 13
SPOT customer service is the worst I have ever seen. Great product, great device but don't ever plan on getting a truthful answer from anyone in their customer service department.
TouringGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #902
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockiesTwin
Well it looks like the process came to a crashing halt. Here's the text of the letter I sent to their CUSTOMER CARE after my problem with registration.
should have hit the 911 button and taken it back to the store. get enough of those and they will learn to un-register them.

I wonder if REI and other retailers know that when they take one back it might have already been registered. Also dont these stores have policies about selling used equipment?

Once it is out of the store and returned, if the box is opened it is used. It should be sent back to manufacture.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #903
azari
K16GT rocket

Oddometer: 39
'Shared' Pages Changed!?

It appears as if there were some changes to 'shared' pages on the SPoT web site recently.

Anybody know what that 'fire eagle' stuff is?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #904
owlflavored
Don't Know. Don't Care.

Oddometer: 22
fire eagle is a social networking site by Yahoo!, that allows people to share their location with friend circles, etc. Yahoo! has now partnered with SPOT, so that your SPOT device may update your location on fire eagle.

http://next.yahoo.net/archives/121/fire-eagle-is-open
http://fireeagle.yahoo.net/

yeah, i don't quite "get it" yet either.

there is a big Yahoo/Fire Eagle launch party tonight in SFO. i can't make it, but if someone wants to crash it and report back, i'll give you the time/location. free drinks and tacos.
owlflavored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #905
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Oddometer: 138
Pissed My response from SPOT

So I did hear back from the letter I sent, the one above. Here's their response:

Quote:
Good Evening,

Can we have the ESN # of the unit you purchased at REI and the date of purchase please?

SPOT Customer Service
Nothing since...
RockiesTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #906
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicychili
should have hit the 911 button and taken it back to the store. get enough of those and they will learn to un-register them.

I wonder if REI and other retailers know that when they take one back it might have already been registered. Also dont these stores have policies about selling used equipment?

Once it is out of the store and returned, if the box is opened it is used. It should be sent back to manufacture.
That's SUPPOSED to be the procedure.

It sounds like what happened here is that someone bought a SPoT at REI, activated it, returned it, and then REI simply returned it to the shelf.

They're SUPPOSED to return such a unit to our RMA department, or to SPoT customer service, who has it deactivated from the SPoT network, tests it, and then puts it into the factory refurbished stock for warranty replacements.

I definitely sounds like the entity that screwed this one up was the manager of that particular REI store.

That being said, IMHO, the SPoT CSR should have offered to either exchange the unit for one that was not already activated, or to deactivate it so that the web site would then accept the new activation.

RockiesTwin: did the CSR not offer to do either of these things?
I work for Axonn LLC, the company that designed and manufactures the SPoT Satellite messenger. However opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of SPoT INC. or Axonn LLC.
SpotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #907
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

More details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
That's SUPPOSED to be the procedure.

It sounds like what happened here is that someone bought a SPoT at REI, activated it, returned it, and then REI simply returned it to the shelf.

They're SUPPOSED to return such a unit to our RMA department, or to SPoT customer service, who has it deactivated from the SPoT network, tests it, and then puts it into the factory refurbished stock for warranty replacements.

I definitely sounds like the entity that screwed this one up was the manager of that particular REI store.

That being said, IMHO, the SPoT CSR should have offered to either exchange the unit for one that was not already activated, or to deactivate it so that the web site would then accept the new activation.

RockiesTwin: did the CSR not offer to do either of these things?
Indeed SpotMaker the CSR did not. He did offer to try and arrange a meeting for me and whomever the other customer was so that we might "exchange" devices. Um no. I even suggested to him that he simply delete the registration for the "other" customer that showed having registered my device since obviously if he does have a d evice, it's not working correctly either. The agents response to which was: "I cannot, he's already paid for his service." I offered to send a picture of the back of the device to prove I had the device I was trying to register and he was uninterested. This is when I realized I was just not going to get anywhere with this guy and asked to be transfered to his supervisor and was hung up on. That is when I wrote the letter I've previously quoted. I've not recevied any follow-up to my email NOR a call back (they have my number). I'm not one to throw out the baby with the bath water - but when you're purchasing a device and service for the primary purpose of salvation from a potentially life threatening emergency you want ALL dealings with customers to reflect professionalism and follow-up.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #908
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
I can completely understand them not simply shutting off the service registered to that device - what if you bought a lost or stolen unit (not implying you did, just that they have no way of knowing since you're just a voice on a phone) but they SHOULD have asked you to provide a proof of purchase and then they can handle the exchange.

Although it sounds like that's sorta what they did by asking you for the REI purchase information...

Maybe (just a guess) they will contact your local REI to authorize a replacement on-site?
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #909
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Thumb

I've finally received a response from Customer Care and have included it below. In my opinion this is a well written and completely reasonable response to my issue. I will need to return to the store to exchange my SPOT unit. I'll update the tread with my subsequent activation. Here's to hoping it goes well

Quote:
Thank you for providing the information. First of all we would like to express our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have encountered with your Spot unit. We have taken the details you have provided us for training purposes. It goes without saying that our team has been trained not to release personal information on other customers to third parties. We can only imagine that in this instance, since the representative may have been taken aback about the unit being active there was some confusion that set it.

We would also like to apologize for the unit you have been sold. When units are returned to a retail location, they are not supposed to be put back on the shelf. We have already communicated this error through our sales/product fulfillment department to ensure the communication to retails is sent out to ensure everyone is following the right process.

In the meantime, you will be required to go back to REI to have the unit exchanged for a brand new unit as this unit cannot be registered under your name since there is service active attached to this ESN.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #910
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockiesTwin
I've finally received a response from Customer Care and have included it below. In my opinion this is a well written and completely reasonable response to my issue. I will need to return to the store to exchange my SPOT unit. I'll update the tread with my subsequent activation. Here's to hoping it goes well
And just for reference, what was the total elapsed time from the first call to the first email you sent them to this reply?
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #911
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Ready, set, go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
And just for reference, what was the total elapsed time from the first call to the first email you sent them to this reply?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:22 AM   #912
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Guys,

About fireeagle: For those don't have a Spot yet but have been thinking of it (as I have), now is the time for many of you. If you sign up with the fire eagle service (at fireeagle.yahoo.com) and visit their applications page, Spot is listed there of course. If you don't HAVE a Spot, you can get one at a discount. 150 bucks including two-day shipping. And you get a year of service free, including the 10 minute tracking dealie.

I jumped on the offer this morning after seeing it posted in Equipment forum. It's only going to be good through mid-September, and I decided not to wait. Now I just hope I don't have to deal with customer service at all.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #913
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
Spot in Nicaragua

I just returned from a trip to Nicaragua and the SPOT device definately sent back track points. While in transit each day, it was not possible to have the unit out to be able to send signals (we were inside of a van), but there were enough signals to indicate our position. Below is the link to that trip's SPOT page:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...LLQdBmeSzqj5jn

It was pretty cool for the people back home to zoom in on our location via the satellite view. Most of the work was being done in the locations pinpointed in the upper left corner of the map (Salinas Grandes). We stayed in Masaya in the lower right part of the map.

If you want to read my blog about the trip, it is found at:

www.scbcnicaragua2008.blogspot.com Pictures will come later.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100

Timmer screwed with this post 08-19-2008 at 02:28 PM
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 AM   #914
RockiesTwin
Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Pissed So it worked (the registration that is)

So I finally got my unit exchanged and activated. It went much more smoothly this time though I do have a couple of comments:

As for the Messenger Name: Some explanation about what this is and how it's used would be useful. My guess is it relates to how the web-portal works - but I'm not sure and couldn't find any indicator to say.

The Messages: Here again, some examples might be useful and spur some more creative uses, perhaps?

All said I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs - The end of next week will be its first test as I head to the East Coast. Looking forward to it!!

UPDATE
So I tried to log in today to my account to verify everything and see why I wasn't getting the alerts I set up...

They show no record of my account OR the email I tied it to. I sent a copy of the confirmation I had along with my email (I will say that the site seemed to hang) when it tried to redirect me to the WELCOME page. I've sent them an email and will keep this thread updated...

ARGGGGGGG!

RockiesTwin screwed with this post 08-21-2008 at 04:15 PM
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #915
OldWombat
Suzuki DR650 SE

Oddometer: 68
Question Spot new toy or a life saver ?

http://www.findmespot.com/ExploreSPO...cePricing.aspx

OK Now i'm looking at this and thinking NEW toy but then i read more and it said ( ($150.00/yr USD if purchased after initial activation)
Provides up to $100,000 USD of additional search and rescue resources, including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits – underwritten by Lloyd’s of London – for any emergency service expenses incurred. For more information, including terms and conditions,) So Now i'm thinking wow for them prices and considering what most of us spen on bikes this item is dam Cheep and NOT a TOY.
Please feel free to have your say after looking at above address, I realy think its a good life saver and a Cheep way to say hi to loved ones and not so loved ones. Im thinking say 500.00 US a year for that is cheep. thats with all options yes

So have a look have a think and then put your thinking down on this thread.

PS if you see spelling errors just close your eyes and then u can't see them

is your wife is a sex object. Every time you ask for sex, she objects.

have a laugh
OldWombat is offline   Reply With Quote