ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #1081
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,489
KP if you are using it on your GS, it probably sits farther forward than my KTM which has a smaller cockpit. I'll try it, thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #1082
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
Actually, I've read Global Rider's comments with a more open mind. I think he's presented an unbiased opinion of SPOT.
Of course. Its hard to be biased when you're doing research as to what is best for you (I have since decided).

As I don't own either of the units, I can only go by on user comments here and in countless other places on the web. And then I can also use my background in electronics and make heads and tails of specifications as vague as they are for the SPOT.

Given the opportunity, I wouldn't even accept a unit from SPOT to test. Anyone doing any testing knows not to take a unit from the manufacturer, instead taking one from the marketplace...a random unit.

But even though I've decided on a PLB, I will get a hold of a SPOT locally this coming winter and test it under severe weather conditions...a snow storm...we all know what sat TV looks like on those days. It should be fun!

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #1083
chtucker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Well my job involves the below.... and I don't trust my life with the spot.... but it is another tool in the box... I have another GPS, a statewide Digital Trunked Radio System (that I maintain), a cell phone, VHF radio, survival gear, avalanche beacon, snow shoes, shelter, MREs, fire starting stuff....

Its another tool to use.... the end all be all.... Nope... But it works WELL in snowing blowing mountainous conditions just fine thank you. Works were my cell phone doesn't

I think you are forgetting the most important tool in the box though...... OUR HEADS! If I have enough sense to push a button on either a Spot or a traditional PLB.... I have enough sense to attempt to survive... A PLB in a plane or boat that activates with g force or water makes sense.... There is nothing comparable for land.

As an active member of a Mountain Search and Rescue service, I can tell you that if everyone who I have wandered around yelling for in the backcountry had a Spot, life would be a lot easier, AND alot safer for rescuers.

BTW the below picture was taken in JUNE!

chtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #1084
ThumptyDumpty
Old Dog, No Tricks

Oddometer: 80
The lighter side !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtucker
Well my job involves the below.... and I don't trust my life with the spot.... but it is another tool in the box... I have another GPS, a statewide Digital Trunked Radio System (that I maintain), a cell phone, VHF radio, survival gear, avalanche beacon, snow shoes, shelter, MREs, fire starting stuff....

Its another tool to use.... the end all be all.... Nope... But it works WELL in snowing blowing mountainous conditions just fine thank you. Works were my cell phone doesn't

I think you are forgetting the most important tool in the box though...... OUR HEADS! If I have enough sense to push a button on either a Spot or a traditional PLB.... I have enough sense to attempt to survive... A PLB in a plane or boat that activates with g force or water makes sense.... There is nothing comparable for land.

As an active member of a Mountain Search and Rescue service, I can tell you that if everyone who I have wandered around yelling for in the backcountry had a Spot, life would be a lot easier, AND alot safer for rescuers.

BTW the below picture was taken in JUNE!

After reading the first paragraph I thought...Man thats one hell of a tank bag...

Nice Ride !!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #1085
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,609
I got another darn spam-message from Spot called "Spotlight." Last time I got one, I replied with "Unsuscribe" in the subject header, just like it says to do way down low on the email. Obviously, their promise to unsuscribe recipients didn't work. I replied to this latest one the same way: UNSUSCRIBE.

Like I said before, I only gave them my "real" email adress because it was for payment, registration, and for getting OK messages.

I hate spam.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #1086
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
I got another darn spam-message from Spot called "Spotlight." Last time I got one, I replied with "Unsuscribe" in the subject header, just like it says to do way down low on the email. Obviously, their promise to unsuscribe recipients didn't work. I replied to this latest one the same way: UNSUSCRIBE.

Like I said before, I only gave them my "real" email adress because it was for payment, registration, and for getting OK messages.

I hate spam.
I haven't gotten a single email from them other than confirming my account setup and changes.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #1087
The Yeti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
[quote=bananaman]I replied with "Unsuscribe" in the subject header, just like it says to do way down low on the email. Obviously, their promise to unsuscribe recipients didn't work. I replied to this latest one the same way: UNSUSCRIBE.
quote]

Maybe you just typoed it here, but if you did it in the header of the email as well, maybe that was the problem....

Dakota Dual Sport Riders
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #1088
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
I think you were actually talking about me. It would help if you knew who your enemies actually are.

Actually, I've read Global Rider's comments with a more open mind. I think he's presented an unbiased opinion of SPOT. His comments, along with Jonas's, and PacWestGS's, have helped me understand better how SPOT works, and how to better use all the rescure tools available. Spotmaker has also helped trememdously. I don't always agree with him or his asessment, but the difference between us (you and I), is that I don't mind disagreeing with someone. If we all agreed about SPOT, then this thread would have died a year ago.

I wish SPOT had satisfied my own needs better, but I don't regret the decision-making process that led me to purchase it. I'll use the same process next time an interesting product becomes available.
Your right, I was thinking of both of you when I said that. After you stated awhile back that people who aren't "world traveler's" opinions don't count as much as yours, I knew you were a . I don't pay attention to what you say about the SPOT, you've had one and are entitled to your opinion. I figured you had a bad experience due to operator error...

As for GR.
How can anyone who's never had any firsthand experience with a SPOT have any solid opinion? Having an opinion derived from second hand information taken off the internet ( you believe everything you read, eh?) does not constitute an informed, unbiased opinion, regardless of the big technical words used.
Again I'm not sure as to the motive behind this year's campaign to talk negative about SPOT by GR when he's never even owned one, and while MOST of the reports on the SPOT around here are very positive.

My motive comes from something logical for calling GR out on his BS posts.
This past summer a buddy was going on a 7 day trip solo for the first time, a big deal for him.
Anyways, we had talked about the SPOT a few times and I sent him a link to this thread for more info. He ended up not wanting to buy a SPOT for his trip because of some posts that GR had made about SPOT not being reliable, not worthy of trusting his life to, and not even being good at tracking. He felt like he had to buy a PLB or he would surely die in a emergency situation. He didn't want one, not because he read this whole thread and decided it wasn't for him, but because he only read a few pages, including more than one of GR's many posts about not trusting SPOT, then at GR's RR's and decided this world traveler must know best so he shouldn't get one. He could not afford a PLB. I loaned him mine, and he ended up buying one because it worked so well for him, like it does for me.
See, he should be careful with a name like Global Rider with impressive rides under his belt going out on a campaign "repeating" what he's supposedly heard about a product that could very well save someone's life, or at leaqst give family members piece of mind.
Even though GR DOESN'T EVEN OWN A SPOT, my (stupid) buddy took his opinion as being fact, like the SPOT had actually failed to save GR, when in reality most of what he says is just his twisted opinion, admittedly formed by second hand info and should be treated as such.
Throw a few technical words that normal folk don't comprehend, and GR might actually sound like he's giving a fair assessment of the SPOT, even though he's never even used one. Not everyone around here is a worldwide adventure rider who can afford nor need a PLB, satphone, and SPOT.
Now, if my buddy was hurt and didn't have just the SPOT to call for help where there's no cell service on his BRP trip, how would that make GR feel? From the way I see him, he wouldn't care... as long as he was right.
It's one thing to educate people about SPOT's limitations, share what methods one used to get the best results from the SPOT, or even share how the SPOT didn't perform well FOR YOU. it's another to just regurgitate for almost a year in hundreds of posts on multiple forums what little negative info GR could possibly find about the SPOT to forward his own strange agenda.

I don't care if everyone's in agreement, believe me. I don't mind controversy, debate, and fair product reviews. But when one individual keeps spouting off second hand BS then I will say what I think should be said.

DON'T LISTEN TO GLOBAL RIDER ABOUT SPOT !!! READ BETWEEN THE LINES AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #1089
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
My spot message list got this mesage from me today:
ESN:0-7381807
Latitude:0.0
Longitude:-78.4543
Nearest Location: San Antonio, Ecuador
Distance: 2 km(s)
Time:10/22/2008 17:54:24 (GMT)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=0.0,-78.4543&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

I pressed my spot (twice actually) at the REAL equator, not the fake one in the Mitad del Mundo park with the big MIDDLE OF THE EARTH monument.

Globestar says I'll have coverage until I start getting REALLY south.

In a couple of days I'll post a really unexiting pic on my blog of GPS saying the wrong lat at the fake equator line in the park and the real one on the street north of the park. (Real for GPS, atleast)
Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #1090
bananaman
transcontimental

Wow. Spot really brings out the lunatics.

Dave: How's the Turtle's Head.

(The Turtle's Head, in Quito, is the coolest bar in the world. It's owned by a Scot by the name of Albert. He gives free beer to any overlander who stops by. It's really, really good home-brew.)

Even though my Spot works perfectly in Wisconsin, I could not get it to work reliably in Ecuador. If yours works, and mine didn't, then between the two of us, we're at 50% success rate, right?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #1091
BetaTrialsGuy
D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer: 168
MC mount for Spot

I ordered a RAM motorcycle mount that's built specifically for the Spot.

Haven't received it yet, but if it works as well as my GPS mount, I'll be happy!

Here's the page on the RAM website for viewing the mount:

http://products.ram-mount.com/rammou...EXC+Racing&g=1

Sorry for the long address, but it should get you there. If it gets you to a "Wizard"
page, just hit the "Get my Spot" button at the bottom of the page.

I'll review it after I use it. Photo noted below may not (?) work.

http://www.ram-mount.com/cataloglarge/RAMHOLSPO1.jpg
----> Blue Ribbon Coalition

==============================

 International Orange: Harley, The Golden Gate Bridge, Black & Decker, KTM 

I formerly listed Home Depot with the International Orange group, but I gave up on them and went to Lowe's
BetaTrialsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #1092
widebmw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
A friend of mine bought one the other day and had it on tracking in his jacket, then he put his jacket in the back of my Outback and it tracked us driving around town. He has had it track from inside he tank bag.
I don't think you have to have it out on a Ram mount.
widebmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #1093
daveg
no longer homeless

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Wow. Spot really brings out the lunatics.

Dave: How's the Turtle's Head.

Even though my Spot works perfectly in Wisconsin, I could not get it to work reliably in Ecuador. If yours works, and mine didn't, then between the two of us, we're at 50% success rate, right?
Turtle's Head: Excellent! I was in Quito for two nights and spent both of them drunk at Alberto's bar. The bastard kept feeding us shots

OH, and he let me ride his Husky SM around the block!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad bad influence... I could get into some serious trouble in the states with that bike.

50% success: Yeah, who knows. I still view it as a toy since there is no way to know if the mesages are received.

I'm still tracking very well and OKs at almost 100%, not only that, but I rarely let it do a resend because I want to get the unit into tracking asap.

Thats my main complaint with the unit... It is such a pain to actually ride with on a big trip on how I use it.. Here's what I do:

Check out hotel, packup bike, put tank bag on bike...

Press OK, once quickly

get geared up, leave town

Then I usually forget to turn on tracking for 30 or 40 minutes into my ride.

Once I remember, I fumble with gloves in my tank bag to squeeze the OK button for 3 seconds to turn on tracking mode. My god is that hard to do through plastic driving very curvy mountian roads with one hand.

Yeah, the spot interface sucks for me on a bike. Pressing and holding buttons and waiting for the right blinking sequence is a pain in the ass.

dg
Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #1094
bananaman
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
Turtle's Head: Excellent! I was in Quito for two nights and spent both of them drunk at Alberto's bar. The bastard kept feeding us shots

OH, and he let me ride his Husky SM around the block!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad bad influence... I could get into some serious trouble in the states with that bike.

Yeah, the spot interface sucks for me on a bike. Pressing and holding buttons and waiting for the right blinking sequence is a pain in the ass.

dg
Better to be hung over and bitching about interfacing with your Spot in Ecuador, than to be wondering if it's going to snow tomorow in Wisconsin.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #1095
BetaTrialsGuy
D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer: 168
Ram Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebmw
A friend of mine bought one the other day and had it on tracking in his jacket, then he put his jacket in the back of my Outback and it tracked us driving around town. He has had it track from inside he tank bag.
I don't think you have to have it out on a Ram mount.
I'm glad to know that the SPOT operated even while obstructions were present.

I did a 70 mile dirt ride in the desert on Saturday and used the Check-in button for
SPOT checking (manual activation for each check-in.) The Ram mounted SPOT was
right where I could easily get to it. No fiddling around, easy to push the button on
the run, no interference with other controls. I took a couple of spills and they were
no bother to Mr. SPOT or the mount.

In the case of a 911 emergency, a SPOT mounted on the motorcycle could be
harder to access than a SPOT mounted on the person. (Or, it could also be easier.)

Bottom line: While it may not be for everyone, for me the Ram Mount works well,
and was inexpensive. I intend to keep it on the bike, a KTM 450 EXCR.
----> Blue Ribbon Coalition

==============================

 International Orange: Harley, The Golden Gate Bridge, Black & Decker, KTM 

I formerly listed Home Depot with the International Orange group, but I gave up on them and went to Lowe's
BetaTrialsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote