ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 98 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #1111
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Track
Thanks guys - got SPOT unit for <$100 with rebate(s) at REI + one year basic and tracking free via Fire Eagle, and rescue (what the heck) for $8 and change. Killer deal.

Mike
With the REI CO-OP Dividend, it should bring mine to just under $90 and, with all 3 services, under $100 for the first year.

I found out about the Fire Eagle deal after I had registered mine on Thursday but had used the 1/2 off tracking discount (Oppps. Found it on this site BTW... thanks to who ever posted it). So I called them on Saturday and talked with a CSR for a bit and thought I had it straightened out until I got off the phone and then realized she was refunding 100% of what I had paid. After another call, I got that straightened out and was now paying for the $7.95 SAR benefit only. Just got an email that they had refunded my $124.98.

This is the kind of deal even a KLR rider can love... and yes, I have a KLR.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #1112
gettr
Team Turtle

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Track
Thanks guys - got SPOT unit for <$100 with rebait(s) at REI + one year basic and tracking free via Fire Eagle, and rescue (what the heck) for $8 and change. Killer deal.

Mike
+1... just got mine a few days ago with the same deal. The tracking/check button is taking a bit to figure out, but I'm pretty happy so far. This thread (Yeah... I read the WHOLE thing) has been very helpful. We'll see how it does on the forest roads in the UP of Michigan. The foilage can be pretty dense in spots.

The suggestion for the SPOT came from wife. From just using a cell and a FRS/GMRS type GPS as the only help, the SPOT will be a big step towards being safer.
gettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #1113
klx400kev
Faster in the dirt

Oddometer: 87
Spotmaker...I'm sold! I bought a SPOT today. $149 minus $50 rebate, and with the Fire Eagle promo and my $50 REI gift certificate, I got everything for $50 + $7 insurance. This is going to make solo riding on my dirt/adventure bike so much safer!

klx400kev screwed with this post 12-30-2008 at 07:46 AM
klx400kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #1114
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I've got a SPoT unit mounted on the handlebars of my F800GS, right across from the Garmin 60CSx and it works very nicely there.

I've only tried this unit out around home, near Ottawa ON, Canada so far, but I wanted to get used to it before any long trips next summer and so far, so good.

I'll show it to you sometime in Calabogie, Global Rider.
I'm really impressed with the design of RAM's mount for the SPoT.

I only wish the photos on their web site showed it mounted optimally, with it's "face" facing the sky (as you have mounted it).
I work for Axonn LLC, the company that designed and manufactures the SPoT Satellite messenger. However opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of SPoT INC. or Axonn LLC.
SpotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #1115
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
SPOT question-how does 911 respond?

Question for the firefighters and law enforcement out there. How have the 911 operators, fire departments and police/ sheriffs been trained to handle messages that originate from Spot? How many fire engines, police cars, etc. have suitable GPS equipment? Does the average firefighter or police officer know how to enter the latitude/longitude into their GPS equipment?

Anyone first responders out there have any stories to tell of responding to a SPOT 911 message?

Any ADVers been rescued after pressing the 911 button?

[BTW, I got my SPOT tracker yesterday--thanks everyone for the tips on the free service promo at Fire Eagle.]
bcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #1116
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
I'm really impressed with the design of RAM's mount for the SPoT.

I only wish the photos on their web site showed it mounted optimally, with it's "face" facing the sky (as you have mounted it).
How else can you place it so you can see the buttons, anyway? This picture is the same setup but a little easier to see things.

I've added a nylon tie around the mount and SPoT to avoid having the unit fly out in case of an accident, and to prevent sticky fingers from making off with it. The tie goes through the molded clip holder on the side on the RAM mount.

When I had it on the dash of my car the other day I was able to see the flashing lights as a kind of "Heads-Up" display, reflecting on the windshield so it didn't matter that I could not see the lights directly.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #1117
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Question:
Quote:
How else can you place it so you can see the buttons, anyway?....
Answer:
Vertically, like your Garmin '60 is mounted. SPOT won't work well oriented like that.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #1118
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Question:

Answer:
Vertically, like your Garmin '60 is mounted. SPOT won't work well oriented like that.

Cheers.
Well yeah, there is that, but I meant for it to work properly. I had read those other 74 pages of the topic and from that it was clear how SPoT worked best so that's how I placed it.

As far as I can tell any other way but flat to the sky will be less than optimal under most conditions.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-30-2008 at 12:25 PM
Old 12-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #1119
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO
Put these two together and you've got a smok'in deal !!!!... A SPOT unit plus one year of service & one year of tracking for $100 bucks. Remember, buying the unit and signing up for service are two separate transactions. Buy anywhere and sign up online. (I've got no affiliation with anyone, just pass'in it on)
Link to rebate

thanks for the info!!!

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #1120
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Well yeah, there is that, but I meant for it to work properly. I had read those other 74 pages of the topic and from that it was clear how SPoT worked best so that's how I placed it.

As far as I can tell any other way but flat to the sky will be less than optimal under most conditions.
Correct.

Geeze, you should get some kind of award for reading the whole thread. You now know more about SPoT than everyone except maybe Spotmaker.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #1121
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Correct.

Geeze, you should get some kind of award for reading the whole thread. You now know more about SPoT than everyone except maybe Spotmaker.

Cheers.
It took me over a week, just kept a tab open on the subject and worked my way through, and it was worth it to see what the buzz was.

There's no exam, is there?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #1122
GSjoyride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
help?

ordered the SPOT

went to sign up before the 31st on FireEagle

NO GO

how can I sign up without the unit?

not so Cheery, needing help.....

'07 BMW F650GS

GSjoyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #1123
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSjoyride
ordered the SPOT

went to sign up before the 31st on FireEagle

NO GO

how can I sign up without the unit?

not so Cheery, needing help.....
I don't think you can, cause you need the unit's serial number and 8 digit authentication code from inside the battery compartment.

Unless you can find a unit on a store shelf tomorrow, that's about the only way I think you'll get the Fire Eagle promo.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #1124
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,657
Quote:
I don't think you can, cause you need the unit's serial number and 8 digit authentication code from inside the battery compartment.

Unless you can find a unit on a store shelf tomorrow, that's about the only way I think you'll get the Fire Eagle promo.
I just got home from a trip, mine is at the post office.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #1125
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Well, I've lost my subscription to this thread for some reason.

Couple things...

First to the poster asking about 911 - yes SAR, FD and PD receive a location based on your location LAT/LON or other as defined by the RCS (Rescue Coordination Center). Spot does not TTBOMK dial 9-1-1 but goes through the RCS.

Second, during the Baja 1000 pre-riding I had my SPot in a tail bag with inner-tubes. Somtimes it was on top sometimes it was sideways. It always worked except when mountains were in the way on southern exposer. During the race it was tossed from backpack to backpack and still worked flawlessly with a few directional challenges (travelling North) or behind high southern mountains. Bodies did not seem to interfere with tracking messages as the signal should pass right through flesh.

Just sayin'

The only issue faced was turning the darn thing on!

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote