ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #106
12bnkd
UP for any Adventure

Oddometer: 255
Got one Friday "VARY COOL"

I like the way it works, have a few suggestions of what I would like to see added, will read the other posting here and see if there made yet but love it so far :)
V-Rod
Sportster (First Bike)

http://ride.smugmug.com/MotorcycleRi...18710698_g3dzr

WWW.BattalionMC.com
12bnkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #107
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,108
Response from the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
I ended up sending an email to customercare@findmespot.com requesting the guest login feature to view the tracking data only. I didn't understand that something like that wasn't available when I purchased the Spot and that deficency may have been enough to have delayed my purchase or even made me choose to rent instead of buy. Now that I understand the system better, I'll be sending out a lot more "I'm ok" messages.
Got this reply:

Thank you for your interest.

You are indeed correct. Your wish is many other people wish and developers are working on it.
This modification should be up and running soon.

Regards,
R-

Hmmm, wonder what "soon" means?
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #108
Lucky_Devil
Master Lurker

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
Hmmm, wonder what "soon" means?
Thanks for posting the response you received... I was wondering if you had ever heard back from them.

"soon" sounds purposely vague...
Lucky_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #109
garrobito
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 20
...After read all reviews.. specially from spotmaker... One spot are add at my list for my trip to patagonia next year..
Looks like a sweet equipment... Also I carry a EPIRB too... just in case...
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #110
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Interesting test today. About 145 mi, 5 hour, 15 minute ride in NE Alabama/NW Georgia (Lookout Mt. and environs) with SPOT strapped to pillion (photo). This was the best place I could think of that would give it a decent view of the sky without being shielded by my body in a tank bag -- save sticking it on top of my helmet. It sees more of the sky there than it does on the dashboard of the car where I've been having better than 90% success with messages in tracking mode.

Results were a little disappointing. Of approximately 30 10-minute intervals in tracking mode, 16 messages made it through. I was riding secondary and tertiary paved and dirt roads (no single or dual track trails) so there was little overhanging vegetation, not that there are any leaves on the trees now anyway. Most of the points agreed with the Garmin GPS track except for two: one was about a mile off and the second was about 10 miles off. On the way back home it missed 4 consecutive messages while riding on top of the mountain. The spurious locations are more troubling.

I can't come up with a good explanation for the difference in performance between the cage and bike. Yes, the antennas were pointing up and the batteries have maybe 300 messages on them (the 30% capacity alarm signal was not going off). Temps were in the 50s, clear sky, no wind, barometric pressure 30.05 inches, etc. etc. Great biking weather.

Suggestions anyone? Next I'll test OK message throughput.

Question: if you're moving when you hit the OK button does it send the same location three times over 20 minutes, or is the location updated each time it sends? I suspect it's the former, right?

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

So many toads; so little rhyme
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #111
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Interesting test today. About 145 mi, 5 hour, 15 minute ride in NE Alabama/NW Georgia (Lookout Mt. and environs) with SPOT strapped to pillion (photo). This was the best place I could think of that would give it a decent view of the sky without being shielded by my body in a tank bag -- save sticking it on top of my helmet. It sees more of the sky there than it does on the dashboard of the car where I've been having better than 90% success with messages in tracking mode.

Results were a little disappointing. Of approximately 30 10-minute intervals in tracking mode, 16 messages made it through. I was riding secondary and tertiary paved and dirt roads (no single or dual track trails) so there was little overhanging vegetation, not that there are any leaves on the trees now anyway. Most of the points agreed with the Garmin GPS track except for two: one was about a mile off and the second was about 10 miles off. On the way back home it missed 4 consecutive messages while riding on top of the mountain. The spurious locations are more troubling.

I can't come up with a good explanation for the difference in performance between the cage and bike. Yes, the antennas were pointing up and the batteries have maybe 300 messages on them (the 30% capacity alarm signal was not going off). Temps were in the 50s, clear sky, no wind, barometric pressure 30.05 inches, etc. etc. Great biking weather.

Suggestions anyone? Next I'll test OK message throughput.

Question: if you're moving when you hit the OK button does it send the same location three times over 20 minutes, or is the location updated each time it sends? I suspect it's the former, right?

Cheers.
TomW, Your experience is consistent with mine. I think you'll find that canyons and trees may degrade the TRACK performance further.
-Offrotue

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #112
SpotMaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
It is the former. It is a triple redundant packet. All messages are identical (and contain a location from right after you activated check in mode).

I'd like it if you could elaborate on the points you believe to be 10 miles off. We have recorded literally MILLIONS of fixes with the GPS chipset in SPoT units. The worst error we've ever seen is around 100 yards, and that's under abysmal signal conditions with a 2D GPS fix.

A 10 mile error (or even a one mile error) is essentially contrary to certain laws of physics.

Since the check in message that is successfully received might be the third attempt, and that third message may be sent up to 20 minutes after the GPS fix was obtained, you would only have to be traveling 30 MPH to have moved 10 miles between the time the GPS reading was taken and the message successfully got through. Is is possible that this was the case?
SpotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #113
aciurczak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I used mine on Thursday for a half-day ride up and around Mt. Hamilton and Mines Road here in the bay area. Parts of Mt. Hamilton road are within some significant tree cover, and for much of it the sky is only visible in one direction. The tracking feature got 18 messages in, and missed 5 opportunities. (78% success rate) I have it sitting inside my tankbag in an upper pocket, which keeps the proper orientation for the device. FWIW, none of the misses were consecutive, so it got at least one track message in within 20 minutes throughout.
aciurczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #114
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotMaker
I'd like it if you could elaborate on the points you believe to be 10 miles off. We have recorded literally MILLIONS of fixes with the GPS chipset in SPoT units. The worst error we've ever seen is around 100 yards, and that's under abysmal signal conditions with a 2D GPS fix.

A 10 mile error (or even a one mile error) is essentially contrary to certain laws of physics.

Since the check in message that is successfully received might be the third attempt, and that third message may be sent up to 20 minutes after the GPS fix was obtained, you would only have to be traveling 30 MPH to have moved 10 miles between the time the GPS reading was taken and the message successfully got through. Is is possible that this was the case?
I agree that it sounds unlikely; however....

Re: your last comment, I was in tracking mode; therefore, the location would only be sent once. Actually, the location that was 10 miles off was sent when I was parked. The next SPOT tracking message sent from the exact same location was correct. I can send you the SPOT message log if you'd like.

Comparing times with the Garmin's track log, the other spurious SPOT locaton was a little over 4 miles off, not 1 mile as I originally thought. As a control, I checked a couple other locations and the SPOT and Garmin locations are dead on with a few seconds SPOT lag time applied to the points when I was in motion. I've plotted up the anomalous locations and paired them with the Garmin GPS location from the same time. The Garmin locations are recorded every few seconds and plot on the map as a true record of where I was. The image file is a bit big, so I'll PM it to you.

All GPSs I've had will occasionally throw out a weird location -- that's why the max speed on the things sometimes reads 542 mph, and, sure enough, when I go back through the track log, there's a flyer in there. I'm curious to learn what the issue is here.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

Old 12-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #115
UK Jimbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I'm folllowing this thread with interest.

This article is a review of one of the pre-production units. http://www.equipped.com/SPOT_ORSummer2007.htm

There are a couple of follow ups to it linked to from that page too.
UK Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #116
TomW
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting reviews, raising some good questions (in the pre-production era). I see SPoT addressed most of them in their production units. Unfortunately, the reviewers don't have a significant follow-up test of production SPoTs in normal everyday use. (I think the most recent review was dated 1 November.)

Regarding the issue raised in the review about the use of a single antenna for both GPS reception and transmission of data to Globalstar: the two services' frequency allocations are adjacent for all practical purposes, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers.
'99 XR100
'00 Duke II
'10 R12GS

Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #117
northidaho
high side slide ride

Oddometer: 106
JE Davies, put that thing to use around Spokaloo and tell me how it works. I got the OK to buy a GPS for myself for Christmas, but this might be better. I know how to use a map, a GPS would be cool, but neither can summon help.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #118
John E Davies OP
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by northidaho
JE Davies, put that thing to use around Spokaloo and tell me how it works. I got the OK to buy a GPS for myself for Christmas, but this might be better. I know how to use a map, a GPS would be cool, but neither can summon help.
I'll be doing some casual testing from my car, but won't be able to do much in those deep wooded canyons until late Spring. If I were a winter sports nut, I could do some testing there right away, but I get cold too easily ;( My bike is asleep in the basement at the moment.

I don't consider a gps a toy - I recommend that you definitely put one on your shopping list, after the SPOT.

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 AM   #119
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by northidaho
If you buy a good GPS and learn how to use it, it will proably keep you from getting into situations where you need the SPOT.

A good GPS will add to your enjoyment and safety on every ride you take. The SPOT will help you in an emergency situation, which if the Gods smile on you, you may never encounter. I look at the Spot as a valuable tool that provides a service that we have long needed. But if I could only choose one of the two, it would be my GPS. The decision wouldn't even be close.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #120
northidaho
high side slide ride

Oddometer: 106
I tend to adventure close to home. As a result I usually know right where I am. Trouble is, trouble comes, and I often am alone. I dont worry the moto breakdown much. Just a real pain till I can get help to drag it or fix it. But if I get broken, then time does matter.

The snow is deep here and I was crosscountry skiing last week. I knew exactly where I was. I was East of Hayden Lake, 1/2 mile E of Burnt Cabin Saddle. I came around a corner and spooked the biggest bull moose I have ever seen that wasnt stuffed.

He was laying in the trail and got up real upset, something about me nearly crashing into him. I remember seeing the snot flying and his ears layed back and hearing the crush of his hooves in the snow and then, he lowered his head and came for me. Thats about when I fell down trying to get turned around. As I was cursing myself for being such a spaz and falling down it dawned on me that this could wind up being very, very bad.
Thats when I heard my dogs tear into him. The two of them distracted him enough for me to get up and get enough distance that he couldnt see me very good any more. And there it became clear that he was standing his ground but not coming any closer. It also became clear that my cell phone was just expensive junk, and had he trompled me I would have been screwed. So the spot has been on my list of ideas.