Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #136
JSPEED
650 Strommer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected
Any textile crap from Joe Rocket.. especially the 5.0 pants... like wearing trashbags that leak!!!!

K2 skis after they went China..
+1. had the ballistic 5.0 pants also...leaked like chain mail and every zipper gave up the ghost.

2012 V-Strom DL650AEXPL2
www.dualsport.ca
http://www.rideatlantic.ca/
JSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #137
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
Everything I've bought related to in-helmet communications--none of it worked right.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #138
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,105
Fog City light sensitive visor insert. I was commuting year round, working 2nd shift. Bright sunshine going to work, dark and cool coming home. My Arai fogged up like a car parked on lovers lane. Terrible fogging. I rode home most nights with the visor cracked open an inch or more to keep it fog free...and my eyeswould freeze!

Tried the Fog City insert. Didn't fog over. But it did create distortion, and at night, the halos and starbursts were ridiculous. This thing was definitely not designed to be used at night! I ruined a $60 Arai visor with a $30 insert!

Teknic 3/4 length adventure style jacket. Never had a problem with Teknic stuff, I generally like it. I bought this jacket hoping to get 3 or 4 seasons a year use out of it. I bought it in the fall. First warm day I wore it, I decided to sell it. I had the liner out, and opened all the zippered vents. The jacket blew up like a hot air ballon once I got moving. Not one bit of air was getting through the "membrane" to my body. I was just parachuting along. Somehow Teknic though waterproof and vented would work with this system. they failed miserably. The jacket was hotter than a $2 pistol. I wore it about 3 times and sold it. Probably a great jacket if you live about 500 mles further north than I do. But useless where it's warm 8 months out of the year.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #139
Tiger812
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by flan8tive
Bike:
First Gear Mesh pants.

Consumer:
2003 VW Touareg. Whadda POS. Even after it qualified for Lemon Law, piss-poor VW forced it to arbitration...and they lost.

They had to buy it back.
2006 VW GLI 2.T MAJOR POS
Attached Images

Tiger812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #140
redredred
n00b Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot
BMW summer rain gloves, they're hot, uncomfortable, and not even water resistant. They'd be good for a cool dry day and looking to get a blister or two.
The stupid finger squeegee which is good for smearing up your face shield is another remarkably useless feature.

But by god since I shelled out $50 or so I still carry them around in my rain gear bag thinking I can get my money's worth somehow.
+1

i had the exact same impressions and i still carry it around. thank goodness it doesn't rain in socal.
redredred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #141
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER6
Sunblocker sunvisor tinted plastic... goes inside the helmet... like wearing bi-focals for idiot... $15 down the drain. Got a tinted shield instead... proper!
Don't look through it. Just tip the helmet down a bit and have it block the sun a bit. Kinda like the tinting at the top of a cage's windshield.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #142
trailrider71us
I can't b fired,only sold

Oddometer: 114
Bronco II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
I bought an 87 Bronco II new. Drove it all over WA, ID, and MT as a salesman. Towed my sand rail with it. Hunted out of it. Camped out of it. Got laid in the back with big boobied Italian girlfriend (okay that part wasn't easy). Put 125,000 miles on it.

Loved it. Great rig. Sorry about yours.
Bought my Bronco II new in 88.Still have it with 225,000 miles on it.Was my main ride for 18 years.Did everything with it,no problems except maintanence.Engine is tired now and I will overhaul it.
Still has the original starter and alternator.

Sean
86 BMW R80G/S
Rokon 2X2
trailrider71us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #143
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 503
Trail Tech X2 HID. Absolutely the worst product ever! I will never, ever buy a TT product again.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #144
ChrisZ
Exploring, Not Lost

Oddometer: 175
BMW mid-weight waterproof gloves

They're lined a bit, so not summer weight. Payed over $100 based on a suggestion from someone I trust. Were awesome for a very short time, then the liner/insert to the right pinky came out and I could no longer stick my pinky in.

This was when it was cold, and I needed gloves to get home. Dicked around a bit trying to push that stupid liner back into the finger, no luck. Hacking, messing, playing, no joy.

Turned out the LINER had become unstitched from the glove, and would no longer sit properly. Whenever I took my finger out, it would pull free.

Final aggrevating attempt at fix was to remove that stupid liner that seemed to be falling apart after MAYBE 2 months. Well, that meant my hand was in contact with - I think - the GoreTex liner so when my hands were damp/moist (as happens when you ride in the rain, where these gloves should be needed), hand would stick to the GoreTex.

By then, I'd damaged the gloves and lost the receipt from BMW Manhattan, so they were a total loss. I consider it fairly cheap way to learn what trash that particular product line is. I needed winter gloves, they were close so I could try on, didn't realize what total shit they might be.

Next time I'll just order a variety of sizes from newenough.com and send back the ones I don't like. Cheaper solution all around.

I would NEVER EVER buy another BMW glove, and doubt I'd go with their riding gear either.

NYC, NY (Until 3rd May, anyway)
www.ChristopherZguris.com / New York to Ohio, Via Canada and Montana 2010: 4 Weeks On The Road
ChrisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #145
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ
They're lined a bit, so not summer weight. Payed over $100 based on a suggestion from someone I trust. Were awesome for a very short time, then the liner/insert to the right pinky came out and I could no longer stick my pinky in.

This was when it was cold, and I needed gloves to get home. Dicked around a bit trying to push that stupid liner back into the finger, no luck. Hacking, messing, playing, no joy.

Turned out the LINER had become unstitched from the glove, and would no longer sit properly. Whenever I took my finger out, it would pull free.

Final aggrevating attempt at fix was to remove that stupid liner that seemed to be falling apart after MAYBE 2 months. Well, that meant my hand was in contact with - I think - the GoreTex liner so when my hands were damp/moist (as happens when you ride in the rain, where these gloves should be needed), hand would stick to the GoreTex.

By then, I'd damaged the gloves and lost the receipt from BMW Manhattan, so they were a total loss. I consider it fairly cheap way to learn what trash that particular product line is. I needed winter gloves, they were close so I could try on, didn't realize what total shit they might be.

Next time I'll just order a variety of sizes from newenough.com and send back the ones I don't like. Cheaper solution all around.

I would NEVER EVER buy another BMW glove, and doubt I'd go with their riding gear either.
So glad to read this as I have the same exact problem with my BMW Summer Rain Gloves. I did find out that GoreTex will stand behind products that incorporate GoreTex into them, even if BMW will not. You might want to try and contact them direct. I have not tried this yet, but will if I get the time.Good luck.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #146
jeffjbmw
Threadkiller

Oddometer: 733
1990 Mercury Capri. 13 items went bad. Dunlop Aussie tires lasted 10,000 miles. Wore out across the tread.

Traded it for a 1991 Miata. I still own it. 187,000 miles later.

Worst moto stuff:

BMW waterproof gloves. NOT!
1976 (?) Montessa Cota with Amal carbs.
Amal Carbs. New Amal Carbs. Old Amal Carbs.
1970 BSA Lightning. Beautiful bike. P O S.
Lucas electric stuff. Lucas Girling hydraulic stuff.

Oh yeah!!!! Flymo......don't ask........

Read my blog: http://jeffszen.blogspot.com/
jeffjbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #147
fishkens
Further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik
So glad to read this as I have the same exact problem with my BMW Summer Rain Gloves. I did find out that GoreTex will stand behind products that incorporate GoreTex into them, even if BMW will not. You might want to try and contact them direct. I have not tried this yet, but will if I get the time.Good luck.
Are you telling me that BMW doesn't have a 100% satisfaction guarantee?!?! For the premium they charge they should. But I understand that retailing stuff like clothing is not their core competency so they may not know how to manage that kind of business. Plus they don't have the volume to support it. Maybe some day.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #148
fishkens
Further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjbmw
1990 Mercury Capri. 13 items went bad. Dunlop Aussie tires lasted 10,000 miles. Wore out across the tread.

Traded it for a 1991 Miata. I still own it. 187,000 miles later.
I remember that Capri. It had terrible problems. You probably went from one of the worst cars ever to one of the best. The general public really doesn't understand how awesome the Miata is.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #149
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjbmw
I had a 1984 Capri - with the bubble back windshield. Biggest POS ever

4 banger in it which was the absolute worst engine ever - piston slap, cracked head

traded it at a loss fo ra '86 golf diesel (non-turbo) for 11 years + 300k trouble free miles
Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #150
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW
Fog City light sensitive visor insert. I was commuting year round, working 2nd shift. Bright sunshine going to work, dark and cool coming home. My Arai fogged up like a car parked on lovers lane. Terrible fogging. I rode home most nights with the visor cracked open an inch or more to keep it fog free...and my eyeswould freeze!

Tried the Fog City insert. Didn't fog over. But it did create distortion, and at night, the halos and starbursts were ridiculous. This thing was definitely not designed to be used at night! I ruined a $60 Arai visor with a $30 insert!
I like the Pinlock system. Much less space than carrying two shields.

http://www.pinlock.com/

Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote